Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A different approach to the impending Free Agency Bonanza!

Using last years low-level trades and mid-level free agent signings as a blueprint, I have complied a list of players that either coaches on the Colts staff and/or Personnel men in the Colts front office have ties to within the last 2-3 years:

San Diego Chargers (Jimmy Raye and Greg Manusky):

Louis Vazquez - OG

Antwan Barnes - OLB

Shaun Philips - OLB (May be too old)

Antoine Cason - CB

San Francisco 49ers (Greg Manusky):

DaShon Goldson - SS

Ricky Jean Francois - DL

Baltimore Ravens (Chuck Pagano):

Paul Kruger - OLB

Cary Williams - CB

Ed Reed - FS (May be too old)

Philadelphia Eagles (Ryan Grigson):

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB

King Dunlap - OT

All of these players would fill a need, even the two old guys with their veteran leadership, on an up-and-coming squad like the Colts have! None of them SHOULD break the bank and they could still re-sign Moala, Powers and Butler as depth!

I would fine with any of those guys except, Shawn Phillips, Ed Reed, or King Dunlap. Like you said, Phillips and Reed are too old to build for the future and Dunlap is just God awful.

What if they where not really someone to build for the future, but someone we got on a 1 or 2 year deal to fill a need.   I wouldn't mind Ed Reed on a reasonably priced 1 or 2 year deal.  Maybe something in the range of 3 or 4 million a year.

I'm not sure Reed would play for that though.  

What if they where not really someone to build for the future, but someone we got on a 1 or 2 year deal to fill a need.   I wouldn't mind Ed Reed on a reasonably priced 1 or 2 year deal.  Maybe something in the range of 3 or 4 million a year.

I'm not sure Reed would play for that though.  

Yeah, I don't think Reed is playing for anything less than 6 mil. a yr.. I just don't want to add players that are that long in the tooth and have so much wear and tear. Guy's that age can seemingly disappear over night. Too much rish involved for a team that needs to upgrade in so many area's. Guy's Reed's age need to go to a team that feel they are only 1 or 2 players away from a legit championship run. We need to focus on building a team that will play together for the next 4 or 5 yrs.. IMO it only does more harm than good bringing in guy's that will be here for a yr. or 2 and then we have to find somebody else to step in.

Yeah, I don't think Reed is playing for anything less than 6 mil. a yr.. I just don't want to add players that are that long in the tooth and have so much wear and tear. Guy's that age can seemingly disappear over night. Too much rish involved for a team that needs to upgrade in so many area's. Guy's Reed's age need to go to a team that feel they are only 1 or 2 players away from a legit championship run. We need to focus on building a team that will play together for the next 4 or 5 yrs.. IMO it only does more harm than good bringing in guy's that will be here for a yr. or 2 and then we have to find somebody else to step in.

I don't know a ton about all the players but how many SS's out there in FA represent an upgrade over Zbikowski?

I don't know a ton about all the players but how many SS's out there in FA represent an upgrade over Zbikowski?

There are a few good one's out there. William Moore, Dashon Goldson, Jarius Byrd(but he's a FS). I/m not sure we'll actually bring in a safety through free agency, but I think we'll probably draft one.

Six of the 11 players you list don`t appear to be low-midlevel FA.

Unfortunately, Irsay chose to Strike a Match to $14Million for old times sake for the 2012 FA season.

And now we are stuck with Mathis rather than have $9M a yr to sign a talented player or TWO for our Future.

Stuck with Mathis? You mean the pro bowler and team captain, or another Mathis?

I agree with an approach that focuses on 2nd tier players, but I suspect some of the focus on Baltimore and Philly players last year had a little to do with sticking with their comfort zones in a whirlwind first offseason at their new positions.

With the success they've already had, the confidence they've built, and the time they've had to settle into their roles, I'm expecting a far more expanded attack this year.

I would fine with any of those guys except, Shawn Phillips, Ed Reed, or King Dunlap. Like you said, Phillips and Reed are too old to build for the future and Dunlap is just God awful.

If the colts don't sign any other pass rushers signing Shaun Phillips to a one year deal wouldn't be bad