Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ten things I think today

Warhorse

In no particular order:

* Joe Flacco is an elite QB

* The pocket passer is still king.....for now.

* Ray Lewis should have thanked Flacco and his O & D lines in his post game rants about "how better to cap off a career", he was virtually a non factor in both the NE game as well as the SB.

* The non call at the end of the game was not as critical as both the Davis drop and the play calling in the red zone at the end of the game for Frisco.

* I have seen my fill of choreographed dancing at half time in the SB. Please have a band next year.....please? U2 was the last great half time show.

* How on green earth do you lose power at the biggest televised sporting event in the nation?

* I have found that interaction with my friends and family during the game has replaced watching the commercials. I saw maybe 4 yesterday. Those conversations are remembered long after the memories of the SB are gone.

* Me and my brother recreated the "Vesper" martini yesterday (James Bond's fave) and they were magnificent.

* Both of the teams I watched yesterday are not going away next season.

* Watch both teams coaching staffs get raided.

People only see gaudy numbers and they only lend credence to QB's when the media is clamped on the QB's teet. Joe is a winner. 5 consecutive play-off appearances and now a SB victory. 

I believe that if SF had run a QB run option in that last set of downs, they may have gotten in the endzone. I'm befuddled at the play-calling on that last series. 

* Ray Lewis should have thanked Flacco and his O & D lines in his post game rants about "how better to cap off a career", he was virtually a non factor in both the NE game as well as the SB.

No surprise here. All week that self-important preacher had been embracing the SB as HIS day.

* The non call at the end of the game was not as critical as both the Davis drop and the play calling in the red zone at the end of the game for Frisco.

Yep. Everyone wants to point at that last play. If anything, that should've been called off-setting, a push-off on Crabtree and a hold by Davis. NO WAY the refs hand a win to a team on a penalty like that in that situation in the SB. Never has that happened. They simply won't hand a victory to a team like that. 

* I have seen my fill of choreographed dancing at half time in the SB. Please have a band next year.....please? U2 was the last great half time show.

Don't get me started. That striptease show was just terribad, awful....maybe I'm just getting old but I thought it was so bad it was purely comical. 

* How on green earth do you lose power at the biggest televised sporting event in the nation?

New Orleans is an open sewer that was under water a few years ago? Their stadium is an antiquated hunk of junk that was used as a toilet by thousands of people a few years ago?

New Orleans hasn't recovered from Katrina as the media wishes to portray. Walk a few miles in any direction of that crappy stadium and you'll either be robbed or bitten by rats the size of small dogs. 

In no particular order:

* I have found that interaction with my friends and family during the game has replaced watching the commercials. I saw maybe 4 yesterday. Those conversations are remembered long after the memories of the SB are gone.

* Me and my brother recreated the "Vesper" martini yesterday (James Bond's fave) and they were magnificent.

* Both of the teams I watched yesterday are not going away next season.

* Watch both teams coaching staffs get raided.

agree with all, but not sure about the Ravens repeating their success next season...

couple a brutal salary cap situation within a stiff division & i think they have a bit of a letdown...

ala the Giants this year...

Flacco is not an elite QB.  Neither is Eli Manning.  Neither is Ben Roethlisberger.

Those guys are a different class of QB.  They are not surgeons, many of the plays they make are not pretty, and they are not the most consistent guys around... but they've still been very successful because they are fearless and because they trust the talent around them enough to make otherwise ill-advised throws pay off.  They're not the best pure passers the league has to offer but their mentality and talents are perfectly suited towards going on the kinds of hot streaks that can win you a championship if they come at the right time of year.

How does a QB gain the elite label anyway? By fans? By media?

Is it being consistent every season with great numbers? Making the playoffs every year? If so then why is Brees there? He has not made the playoffs every season like Flacco has. Neither did Rodgers in his first season starting either.

Is being elite showing you can carry your team when there are team deficiencies that are obvious? If so then Flacco was elite this year since the Ravens D was living on it's past reputation. You could see it in performance and stats at times.

Instead of elite maybe just call someone a winner. Luck was a winner to me this past season too even if his numbers were not blowing your mind.

Flacco set the playoff record for taking care of the ball.  11 TD's and zero interceptions, right?  He may not be considered elite, but he took care of the ball better than any elite QB has ever done in the playoffs.  I'll take that every year, my friends.

If you say Flacco is elite then you're putting him in the same class as Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and Brees. He's not elite.

"Elite" is a media fed buzzword. 

Can we please stop using it? Pretty please? 

I got a word to describe Flacco..... Champion. 

Flacco`s career has never been decribed as "can`t win the big one".He already has Career Playoff Wins and Winning % matching the Greatest of All-Time.

When did we attaching team achievements so closely to the QB? I'm not taking anything away from flacco's playoff run this year, but he was often mediocre in many of those playoff wins early in his career.