Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cherilus

MrNLM

I like Cherilus and Loadholt, William Beatty is also a beast that we should look at... I don't think that T is as big a need as G, but if we can snag one of these relatively young veterans then I say we should go for it... we don't need an OL with 5 all pros on it, but it would be nice if we had at least 2 pro bowl caliber guys with at least 2 more better than average guys... FA is the place to get help there this year because so many good guys may be testing the waters and because it takes so long for a young tackle or guard to develop... we do have to take brains and continuity into account as well...

I agree. Tackle isn't as big of a concern as G, but if we can swing it, I would sign Kevin Boothe, Louis Vasquez, and Phil Loadholt. Don't know how realistic it is that any of those guys test the market, but it sure would be great to add those guys to the line.

Justice and Hills are UFAs, Linc a RFA, leaving Sowell as the only player on the roster who played RT last year I think.  Is the T not being as much of a concern because there is hope for Ilajana?  Or because resigning Justice plus two FA Gs would be ok?  Or simply easier to fill than the Gs?  Or is it just less of a priority to you guys, third on the list of OL needs?  

Justice and Hills are UFAs, Linc a RFA, leaving Sowell as the only player on the roster who played RT last year I think.  Is the T not being as much of a concern because there is hope for Ilajana?  Or because resigning Justice plus two FA Gs would be ok?  Or simply easier to fill than the Gs?  Or is it just less of a priority to you guys, third on the list of OL needs?  

I just have a feeling that Justice will be resigned for depth. Can't say for sure, but I think they will.

Right, Kalil (sp?) is their LT.  My bad.  I still don't think they'll let Loadholt go.  Grigs said he'd go after a game wrecker if everyone agreed they needed to, but that it's not in his nature to go after big names.  He said sometimes those types of players slack off once they get the big money.

I like that kind of thinking.  Get more of those mid level players who are still hungry, but are upgrades over what we have now.

They may not let Loadholt walk, but I don't think he's the kind of guy people look at as a guy that will break the bank. I agree that we shouldn't go after guys just because of their name(thats why I don't want Long because I think you're paying for his name more than his production on the field). I think Boothe and Vasquez could be had for reasonable contracts and both would be upgrades for us at the guard spots.

I agree. Tackle isn't as big of a concern as G, but if we can swing it, I would sign Kevin Boothe, Louis Vasquez, and Phil Loadholt. Don't know how realistic it is that any of those guys test the market, but it sure would be great to add those guys to the line.

That would be a very good OL... I'd feel great going into 2013 with those 3 plus A.C. and Shipley (Satele)... (Reitz, and maybe Bigger Ben/ Justin Anderson make very good depth and T.C. battles at almost every position if we resign Justice and Link)... That would be an elite offense in the making.

That would be a very good OL... I'd feel great going into 2013 with those 3 plus A.C. and Shipley (Satele)... (Reitz, and maybe Bigger Ben/ Justin Anderson make very good depth and T.C. battles at almost every position if we resign Justice and Link)... That would be an elite offense in the making.

Indeed that would be a good line but could we afford it. Essentially we'd be signing 3 starters on the line who we want to play at close if not pro bowl level. Haven't seen that done before

Indeed that would be a good line but could we afford it. Essentially we'd be signing 3 starters on the line who we want to play at close if not pro bowl level. Haven't seen that done before

agreed that it might be too much money to spend on the OL.. I could live with us signing 2 starting Guards and leaving Tackle alone or signing one guard and drafting a couple lineman, or even just signing a big name tackle and drafting guards... with the WCO, Luck shouldn't need as much time as he needed last season, but he really got no time, so IDK.. maybe we sign one name and a couple unknowns... as long as the F.O. knows that our O line was our biggest deficiency last season... I'd drool for us to turn it around in one offseason, but there are 2 sides of the ball to think about... I want to do everything possible to further Luck's progression, though, because we all know that QB is the most important position in all of sports..

agreed that it might be too much money to spend on the OL.. I could live with us signing 2 starting Guards and leaving Tackle alone or signing one guard and drafting a couple lineman, or even just signing a big name tackle and drafting guards... with the WCO, Luck shouldn't need as much time as he needed last season, but he really got no time, so IDK.. maybe we sign one name and a couple unknowns... as long as the F.O. knows that our O line was our biggest deficiency last season... I'd drool for us to turn it around in one offseason, but there are 2 sides of the ball to think about...

Oh yeah agreed! Grigson knows our glaring weakness. Whether that is signing guys outright or signing some and shuffling around some other will be a sight to see. Who knows what Anderson can bring to the table and Bens health as well. It's a shame cause he looked really really good what little we saw from him.

Per Rotoworld:

Impending free agent RT Gosder Cherilus "might not be" in the Lions' plans for 2013.

Detroit has 2011 first-round pick OT Riley Reiff waiting in the wings for a starting spot along the line, and veteran LT Jeff Backus is under contract for next season. The Lions are also well over the salary cap as it stands right now. Cherilus, 28, graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 right tackle in the league in 2012, excelling as a pass blocker.

Should Grigs take this guy seriously if released?

No! I live in Michigan. This guy has been very inconsistent at best. The Lions have been looking for better talent at RT since the day they drafted this guy. He has had trouble staying in the Lions lineup, and their oline is almost as bad as ours.
So grades out at #2 RT, or is inconsistent at best...? I'd take a little inconsistency over the consistently poor play we've witnessed as Colts fans recently. If the #2 RT stat is really true, I would gladly beg, if anyone thinks it would help.

It would be nice to know how/where Justin Anderson and Ijalana are at in terms of health and rehab. Anderson seems to be that middle mauler we all want but did they just stash him to get 100% and play full health next season (kinda like what we feel they did with Chapman) or is he just not what we hope he might become?

I'm all for Cherilus or better yet Loadholt. We all know we are going to get much improved on that line this offseason regardless of who is brought in cause Mcclyn and that other crappy gaurd will not be starters next season.

Per Rotoworld:

Impending free agent RT Gosder Cherilus "might not be" in the Lions' plans for 2013.

Detroit has 2011 first-round pick OT Riley Reiff waiting in the wings for a starting spot along the line, and veteran LT Jeff Backus is under contract for next season. The Lions are also well over the salary cap as it stands right now. Cherilus, 28, graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 right tackle in the league in 2012, excelling as a pass blocker.

Should Grigs take this guy seriously if released?

This guy would be fine by me on a short list of FA...........................-RT's...........its so early, its hard to say who actually hits the market, some of these newly coached teams may cut bait with guys to go in different directions and free up someone who isn't even being considered.

Cherilus is alright but I would rather have Loadholt. Going to a power running WCO, Loadholt would be the better run blocker and he's fine at pass blocking. If we are seriously going to be looking at a power running offense then we need guys up front that can open big holes and Loadholt can do just that.

i agree, i love Loadholt and he fits.

i confess i havent seen the Lions, but isnt the OL a weak point? and they letting him walk? i just dont see how he would significantly upgrade us

Getting a kick out of all the would be GM`s large variety of suggestions for our O-Line.

Can we upgrade? Chuckle. I heard Seth & Link are headed to AZ.

In building the MONSTER O-Line there are SO MANY holes to fill it will surely take More than this off-season to get OUR Players. I am sure Grigs will be tight with his $$$ so he can pick up OUR (FA) GUYS (whole Team) for a few off-seasons to come.

Everyone expects better pass blocking I am sure, but the ability to be/become a VG run blocker is a MUST.

We couldn`t run right with Justice, wouldn`t think he will be considered as more than a short term backup.

Andrew will Feast on Play Action. :)

i agree, i love Loadholt and he fits.

i confess i havent seen the Lions, but isnt the OL a weak point? and they letting him walk? i just dont see how he would significantly upgrade us

Yeah, the o-line in Detroit isn't that great. Cherilus is a good pass blocker but he isn't much of a run blocker IMO. He would be an upgrade over what we had this last season, but is that really saying much?

Getting a kick out of all the would be GM`s large variety of suggestions for our O-Line.

In building the MONSTER O-Line there are SO MANY holes to fill it will surely take More than this off-season to get OUR Players. I am sure Grigs will be tight with his $$$ so he can pick up OUR (FA) GUYS (whole Team) for a few off-seasons to come.

Everyone expects better pass blocking I am sure, but the ability to be/become a VG run blocker is a MUST.

We couldn`t run right with Justice, wouldn`t think he will be considered as more than a short term backup.

I don't think it will be difficult at all to fix the line this year. The team has to spend the money regardless so I could see him spending the cash on top shelf lineman and protect the QB at the very least. Bargain players will be brought in to round out a more complete team but the oline is top priority.

Look at the top defenses in the playoffs and how many points were put up on them. Defense no longer win championships, scoring a lot and having a mid pack kinda defense is the way. That 45 million will be put to good use, it's the contract structures that will allow for replacing with future draft picks as the team moves ahead.

Glad you are getting a kick out of it, but apparently you aren't aware of the fact that we must spend 89% of the cap this season so being "tight" with the money isn't really an option. If the money is spent wisely and not throwing it away on.......say a WR, then fixing the O-line is entirely possible this offseason.