Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the new curse

CR91

The extreme winter weather in the midwest and northeast in the states is far worse than it is where you live. When wind chills are in double digit negatives and frost bite and hyperthermia are pretty regular. It seems irresponsible to me

I've been to Foxboro (NE v MIA 2011) and the Meadowlands (NYG v NE 2007) in December, and it was not warm, but I had a great time. It's also been relatively mild during the same visit. So let's just disagree on this one. If a blizzard strikes and the SB is postponed, then we can then all blame the Commish!

I've been to Foxboro (NE v MIA 2011) and the Meadowlands (NYG v NE 2007) in December, and it was not warm, but I had a great time. It's also been relatively mild during the same visit. So let's just disagree on this one. If a blizzard strikes and the SB is postponed, then we can then all blame the Commish!

The problem with that is, the super bowl isn't in December, its in February. Usually much colder

I'm bored so I guess i'll compile their records.

SB 1: LA,                     Rams 8-5-1

SB 2: Miami,                Dolphins 4-10

SB 3: Miami,                Dolphins 5-8-1

SB 4: New Orleans,     Saints 5-9

SB 5: Miami,                Dolphins 10-4

SB 6: New Orleans,     Saints 4-8-2

SB 7: LA,                     Rams 6-7

SB 8: Houston,            Oilers 1-13

SB 9: NO,                    Saints 5-9

SB 10: Miami,              Dolphins 10-4

SB 11: Pasadena;       Chargers 6-8

SB 12: NO,                  Saints 3-11

SB 13: Miami,              Dolphins 11-5

SB 14: Pasadena;       Raiders 9-7

SB 15: NO,                  Saints 1-15

SB 16: Pontiac,           Lions 8-8 

SB 17: Pasadena,       Chargers 6-3

SB 18: Tampa,            Bucs 2-14

SB 19: Stanford,         Chargers 7-9

SB 20: NO,                 Saints 5-11

SB 21: Pasadena,      Chargers 4-12

SB 22: San Diego,      Chargers 8-7

SB 23: Miami,             Dolphins 6-10

SB 24: NO,                 Saints 9-7

SB 25: Tampa,            Bucs 6-10

SB 26: Minneapolis,    Vikings 8-8

SB 27: Pasadena,       Raiders 7-9

SB 28: Atlanta,            Falcons 6-10

SB 29: Miami,              Dolphins 10-6 

SB 30: Arizona,           Cardinals 4-12

SB 31: NO,                  Saints 3-13

SB 32: San Diego,      Chargers 4-12

SB 33: Miami,              Dolphins 10-6

SB 34: Atlanta,            Falcons 5-11

SB 35: Tampa             Bucs 10-6

SB 36: NO,                  Saints 7-9

SB 37: San Diego,       Chargers 8-8

SB 38: Houston,          Texans 5-11

SB 39: Jacksonville,    Jags 9-7

SB 40: Detroit,             Lions 5-11

SB 41: Miami,              Dolphins 6-10

SB 42: Arizona,           Cards 8-8

SB 43: Tampa             Bucs 9-7

SB 44: Miami               Dolphins 7-9

SB 45: Dallas              Cowboys 6-10

SB 46: Indianapolis     Colts 2-14

SB 47: NO,                  Saints 7-9

Nice work Dustin! I ran out of likes. Facts don't lie in this case do they? 

Very good question Jules! Leave it to you to point out how to break this dark SB hosting curse.  :thmup:

Look at it this way, it's a rare situation with two teams involved so we have double to watch now! But, how does one justify a host curse? Making it to the SB is tough to do regardless. And the Jets seem already doomed to begin win. The collapses of the Colts/Saints playoff hopes in what was supposed to be a usual playoff season raised alarm bells but were they just victims of unfortunate circumstances and not a so called "curse"?.

The Giants will be the ones to watch. Ironically they had the same record the last two seasons, one year resulted in a SB victory and one year out of the playoffs.

Look at it this way, it's a rare situation with two teams involved so we have double to watch now! But, how does one justify a host curse? Making it to the SB is tough to do regardless. And the Jets seem already doomed to begin win. The collapses of the Colts/Saints playoff hopes in what was supposed to be a usual playoff season raised alarm bells but were they just victims of unfortunate circumstances and not a so called "curse"?.

The Giants will be the ones to watch. Ironically they had the same record the last two seasons, one year resulted in a SB victory and one year out of the playoffs.

Wouldn't falling victim to unfortunate circumstance basically be the definition of falling under a curse???

I just like the notion that 2 teams who share the same stadium location cancel out each other's bad SB misfortune. Does that make them neutral like a symbolic sports team similar to Switzerland & does it proliferate 1 of those team's chances of both hosting & winning a Lombardi Championship in the future? That's the real question Jules...

Wouldn't falling victim to unfortunate circumstance basically be the definition of falling under a curse???

Perhaps, but can we really say with a straight face that a curse caused Peyton's neck woes to catch up to him? And that a curse caused the Saints bounties to finally get caught?

I think this curse seems more believable at the moment since the Colts were expected to be a playoff team in 2011. And the Saints were expected to be a playoff team in 2012. But, I still think the Saints could have made the playoffs this past season without Payton if they had something that resembled a defense and their offense ran the ball better/more often instead of just watching Brees chuck it around.

I just like the notion that 2 teams who share the same stadium location cancel out each other's bad SB misfortune. Does that make them neutral like a symbolic sports team similar to Switzerland & does it proliferate 1 of those team's chances of both hosting & winning a Lombardi Championship in the future? That's the real question Jules...

I guess we'll see but it does make sense that they become neutral like you said and I initially implied. This is a unique situation with two teams hosting the big one unlike what we have seen before.

Of course neither NY team seems to be expected to contend for a Super Bowl ATM. So what would be a curse for them? The Jets are a mess, but I suppose if they have a respectable season then maybe the curse is lifted for them. But, if the Jets stink again would anyone truly be surprised? Would have nothing to do with a curse IMO.

If the Giants make the playoffs then maybe the curse is lifted from them? But, if say Eli gets hurt for several games or the Giants miss the playoffs people will think it is due to the CURSE? However not even the Giants are heavily expected to even make the playoffs according to many in a competitive NFC East so what would be their curse?

Can both teams be jinxed or is just one going to be jinxed or do they become neutral to the doomed challenges of hosting the Super Bowl?

See how deep we can get here? haha

the curse would be destroyed if the jets and giants make the super bowl haha

I cannot even imagine the hype/mess if that game occurred. And the amount of people in NY/NJ trying to get tickets. And the fights with fans........

Oh man outside of a Colts Super Bowl next year that might be the best possible scenario for pure entertainment value!!!!

I cannot even imagine the hype/mess if that game occurred. And the amount of people in NY/NJ trying to get tickets. And the fights with fans........

Oh man outside of a Colts Super Bowl next year that might be the best possible scenario for pure entertainment value!!!!

being from jersey i can only agree. jets and giants fans hate each other

being from jersey i can only agree. jets and giants fans hate each other

Like the end of the world! NY fans fighting with one another for two weeks. Then after the game too!

Best thing is to have the Colts be there. Jets owe us anyway for 2009's resting starters and Super Bowl III plus we sucked vs. them last season. :ashamed:  :ashamed:  :ashamed:

Perhaps, but can we really say with a straight face that a curse caused Peyton's neck woes to catch up to him? And that a curse caused the Saints bounties to finally get caught?

I think this curse seems more believable at the moment since the Colts were expected to be a playoff team in 2011. And the Saints were expected to be a playoff team in 2012. But, I still think the Saints could have made the playoffs this past season without Payton if they had something that resembled a defense and their offense ran the ball better/more often instead of just watching Brees chuck it around.

I guess we'll see but it does make sense that they become neutral like you said and I initially implied. This is a unique situation with two teams hosting the big one unlike what we have seen before.

Of course neither NY team seems to be expected to contend for a Super Bowl ATM. So what would be a curse for them? The Jets are a mess, but I suppose if they have a respectable season then maybe the curse is lifted for them. But, if the Jets stink again would anyone truly be surprised? Would have nothing to do with a curse IMO.

If the Giants make the playoffs then maybe the curse is lifted from them? But, if say Eli gets hurt for several games or the Giants miss the playoffs people will think it is due to the CURSE? However not even the Giants are heavily expected to even make the playoffs according to many in a competitive NFC East so what would be their curse?

Can both teams be jinxed or is just one going to be jinxed or do they become neutral to the doomed challenges of hosting the Super Bowl?

See how deep we can get here? haha

I love this kind of stuff it's like graduate school philosophy course using the NFL, black magic voodoo, & Lombardi shortcoming as the proverbial backdrop. I wonder how Tim Tebow or Ray Lewis would answer this question?  lmao  Can logical reasoning be applied to matters of irrational superstition? 

http://youtu.be/v5fo3QIr0lI

Given that this circumstance would be the 1st time in NFL history that 2 teams share the same stadium, it would really be mind blowing if they both faced 1 another in the SB & what if the game ends in a tie? Hmmm...What does that sign indicate from the football gods? It would never happen in a million years of course, but there is no such thing as a tiny conspiracy theory either. Let's see if we can top this blackout mystery next year okay?  :lol:

Like the end of the world! NY fans fighting with one another for two weeks. Then after the game too!

Best thing is to have the Colts be there. Jets owe us anyway for 2009's resting starters and Super Bowl III plus we sucked vs. them last season. :ashamed:  :ashamed:  :ashamed:

it would be two weeks of hell for me since I hate both teams

I love this kind of stuff it's like graduate school philosophy course using the NFL, black magic voodoo, & Lombardi shortcoming as the proverbial backdrop. I wonder how Tim Tebow or Ray Lewis would answer this question?  lmao  Can logical reasoning be applied to matters of irrational superstition? 

http://youtu.be/v5fo3QIr0lI

Given that this circumstance would be the 1st time in NFL history that 2 teams share the same stadium, it would really be mind blowing if they both faced 1 another in the SB & what if the game ends in a tie? Hmmm...What does that sign indicate from the football gods? It would never happen in a million years of course, but there is no such thing as a tiny conspiracy theory either. Let's see if we can top this blackout mystery next year okay?  :lol:

Anything involving New York is worth developing conspiracy theories over. :thmup: It's the city that never sleeps so who knows what THIS Super Bowl has cooked up for us. :D

I don't think both will be in the big one, or at the moment likely either one but the Giants have the better shot obviously if they get back to the playoffs.

Maybe this so called curse has more to do with the SB host team feeling the burden of succeeding during their SB host season/hearing about it so much to the point it can become distracting?

So with two teams maybe the burden splits to ease the drama/distractions or perhaps we just see two teams under achieve. :clap:

Not sure if this gets broken next year, but some season I think it will. All patterns/records/trends were made to be broken.

Although something strange is brewing if the Jets make the playoffs in a stunner. :thmup:

Anything involving New York is worth developing conspiracy theories over. :thmup: It's the city that never sleeps so who knows what THIS Super Bowl has cooked up for us. :D

I don't think both will be in the big one, or at the moment likely either one but the Giants have the better shot obviously if they get back to the playoffs.

Maybe this so called curse has more to do with the SB host team feeling the burden of succeeding during their SB host season/hearing about it so much to the point it can become distracting?

So with two teams maybe the burden splits to ease the drama/distractions or perhaps we just see two teams under achieve. :clap:

Not sure if this gets broken next year, but some season I think it will. All patterns/records/trends were made to be broken.

Although something strange is brewing if the Jets make the playoffs in a stunner. :thmup:

Yes, it is the "Big Apple" after all. Larger than life is in that city's DNA. Even the translucent  tequila suckers have have giant worms encased inside them. NY is full of surprises. Maybe you are right. The burden of playing a SB in the city where your stadium resides is more of a curse than getting to the Big Dance & winning it. Yes, patterns are made to be shattered just like the Ravens winning broke the recent trend of NFC teams winning the SB. All records, myths, & previous achievements eventually fall by the waste side. If Sanchez gets to the AFC Championship Game & wins it to advance to the SB, then the apocalypse is headed our way along with the 4 horseman & the end of the world.  :funny:  lmao  Who needs the Mayan calendar?  Just look for a Jets SB victory since Joe Namath & 1969.