Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting take on Colts draft

Here is my thought. If there isnt a great player that drops to us at 24, could you see us trading down and getting back a 2014 1st round pick from a poor team. Someone like Oakland, KC, Jax, Arizona, or NYJ could see a QB dropping to the late 1st and wanna trade up to get him.

A lot of this scenario depends on what we do in free agency. If we get a lot of our problems solved, we can afford to do this and still add playmakers rounds 3-7. Remember, I believe a certain stud defensive player is coming out next year, and getting a top 5 pick to use on a stud player for this team would be nice to have.

Here is my thought. If there isnt a great player that drops to us at 24, could you see us trading down and getting back a 2014 1st round pick from a poor team. Someone like Oakland, KC, Jax, Arizona, or NYJ could see a QB dropping to the late 1st and wanna trade up to get him.

A lot of this scenario depends on what we do in free agency. If we get a lot of our problems solved, we can afford to do this and still add playmakers rounds 3-7. Remember, I believe a certain stud defensive player is coming out next year, and getting a top 5 pick to use on a stud player for this team would be nice to have.

that kind of stuff is nonpredictable. a team can be bad one year and do very well the next. the patriots tried to pull the same thing with the raiders with the seymour trade thinking they were getting a top 5 pick and ended up picking like 17th

No.    Sorry,   but no.

If we trade our #1 for a 2014 #1,  we'll need something else.

I don't see a team trading their #2 this year and a #1 next year.    For which player?     Your scenario already has no great player falling to us.      Why would a team give up a #2 this year and a #1 next year?

OK....   if not that.     Then would a team give up a #3 this year and a #1 next year?    Maybe.     Why would the Colts want to do that?      Have no pick until the 3rd round?    All so we can get an extra #1 next year?      I don't see it.

I think it's an extreme long shot at best.

It has been suggested by two other posters that we trade out of the 1st round to one of two teams that have two #2's this year.

Honestly,   I don't see any team giving up two #2's for one low #1.    Can't remember it ever happening.    Doesn't mean it won't, but again,  it's a very, very long shot.

A few years ago,   Denver gave up a 2/3/4 to trade up to get Tim Tebow.    They moved up 18 spots.     I think that's the Best we could hope for.    And I don't see that happening either.     I'd be happy if we trade back and get a 2/3/5.

Remember,  when you propose these ideas,  they're typically one sided,  in the Colt's favor.    You've also got to consider why another team would want to do this?    Got to be fair for both sides.

Just food for thought....

No.    Sorry,   but no.

I don't see a team trading their #2 this year and a #1 next year.    For which player?     Your scenario already has no great player falling to us.      Why would a team give up a #2 this year and a #1 next year?

OK....   if not that.     Then would a team give up a #3 this year and a #1 next year?    Maybe.     Why would the Colts want to do that?      Have no pick until the 3rd round?    All so we can get an extra #1 next year?      I don't see it.

It has been suggested by two other posters that we trade out of the 1st round to one of two teams that have two #2's this year.

Honestly,   I don't see any team giving up two #2's for one low #1.    Can't remember it ever happening.    Doesn't mean it won't, but again,  it's a very, very long shot.

A few years ago,   Denver gave up a 2/3/4 to trade up to get Tim Tebow.    I think they moved up roughly 15 spots.   I had this stat about 6 weeks ago,  I'll try to look it up again.     I think that's the Best we could hope for.    And I don't see that happening either.     I'd be happy if we trade back and get a 2/3/5.

Remember,  when you propose these ideas,  they're typically one sided,  in the Colt's favor.    You've also got to consider why another team would want to do this?    Got to be fair for both sides.

I also know that this league is driven by QBs. And if you dont have a franchise QB, you have no shot. A team could get worried a certain QB they are targeting wont last to their 2nd round pick and will want to trade up. Id be fine with getting an early 3rd and 2014 1st in return for the 24th pick. Grigson has an eye for talent and can bring us good players in rounds 3-5.

No.    Sorry,   but no.

A few years ago,   Denver gave up a 2/3/4 to trade up to get Tim Tebow.    I think they moved up roughly 15 spots.   I had this stat about 6 weeks ago,  I'll try to look it up again.     I think that's the Best we could hope for.    And I don't see that happening either.     I'd be happy if we trade back and get a 2/3/5.

I had an idea that we trade down to the lower second and get back a 2014 first. We have to throw in a 2014 5th for that deal though. I would go as high as a 2014 fourth.

I also know that this league is driven by QBs. And if you dont have a franchise QB, you have no shot. A team could get worried a certain QB they are targeting wont last to their 2nd round pick and will want to trade up. Id be fine with getting an early 3rd and 2014 1st in return for the 24th pick. Grigson has an eye for talent and can bring us good players in rounds 3-5.

Worth considering. If trading with the Cardinals.....