Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So are the Cowboys essentially the Chargers of the NFC?

buffalo34

There have been way too many similarities between these two teams for the past 5 or 6 years.

Both have productive QBs that had/have the ability to quickly crank out points (Romo/Rivers)

They both have two of the (formerly) top TEs on the lead (Witten/Gates, although Witten is still a machine)

Very talented RBs over the years (Marion Barber, Felix Jones, DeMarco Murray for Dallas, LT, Turner, Sproles for Chargers)

Above average WR (Dez Bryant, Austin, TO, Patrick Crayton for Dallas, V-Jax, Floyd, Chambers, and probably someone else for Chargers)

They had defenses that weren't elite but decent/a tad above average (they would keep you in the game and were rarely the reason for losing a game).

They were talented enough to compete with anybody in the league

But when it came down to crunch time (either a playoff game or a late game in the season), they'd fold up and pack it in for the season.

Both teams have missed the playoffs the past 3 seasons

2009: The #2 seeded Chargers (who were red hot all season long) go one-and-done against the Jets, who had a rookie QB at the time known as Mark Sanchez (doesn't that hurt in hindsight now), while the Cowboys, after beating the banged up Eagles in the first round, they get absolutely slapped silly in Minnesota in the second round (that Vikings-Cowboys game was probably a Top 3 favorite playoff game for me that postseason, the others being Colts-Jets and Pats-Ravens)

2008: Cowboys miss the playoffs (they got thrashed 44-6 in the final game of the season where I believe it was win-and-in for them, and they lost their final Texas Stadium game against Baltimore the week prior. Chargers on the other hand squeaked by the Colts in the first round and lost to Pittsburgh the next

2007: Cowboys, as the #1 seed, go one-and-done against the eventual SB champion Giants at home (that was my second favorite postseason game that year behind the Super Bowl). Chargers get by the Titans easily, somehow beat the Colts with their backups, and then went toe to toe with the then-undefeated Patriots defensively before finally going into submission in the fourth quarter.

2006: Romo's debut onto the national stage, fumbles the snap in the Seattle game, goes one-and-done. Chargers have a season for the ages, go one-and-done against the Patriots.

Even though I could never stand Rivers I kinda feel for the guy having had Norv Turner as his coach all these years. I never liked the decision to fire Marty after that 14-2 season. Sure they went one and done but it was still a young team who got beat by a very experienced Patriots team.

I have made a lot of excuses for Romo at times but after last night I am just getting tired of it. But, props to the Skins, they earned the NFC title.

My respect for Rivers seemed to go down the tubes a bit after that second half vs. Denver in that game this year. Just WOW.

Maybe it is coaching though. I still think Rivers is a good QB when all is said and done.