Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An article re: Peyton Broncos vs 97/98 Super Bowl winning Elway Broncos

BayAreaBronco

I found this long but great article, especially if you like the Broncos. It examines Peyton Manning's numbers thus far, side-by-side with Elway's. I don't know who the author is, but it's well written and researched. (Though I have to say I have no idea where he is hearing this criticism of Peyton's offense that he mentions.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-dudley/peyton-manning-john-elway_b_2132764.html

Small excerpt:

------

To put the greatness of the '12 passing offense in new light, metrics indicate that the '97 and '98 Broncos historic rushing attack is as superior to the '12 banal running game as Manning's current passing attack is to the '97 and '98 Broncos passing offenses.

Furthermore, the '12 Denver offense is on pace to surpass the '97 and '98 Broncos offense in several meaningful totals.

Manning's offense should accrue just over 6,300 yards and score around 480 points. Elway's '97 offense totaled 472 points and 5,872 yards. A year later, the Broncos amassed 501 points on 6,092 yards; it is worth remembering that Elway only played 13 games during the 1998 season. So, Manning's '12 offense will likely produce more yards than the '97 and '98 offenses. With potential blowouts looming against remaining lackluster opponents, it is also completely possible Manning's offense outscores Elway's '97 and '98 units.

Additionally, it is crucial to examine a quarterback's total passing first downs. This figure demonstrates how responsible a quarterback is for his offense's collective success.

Elway passed for 172 first downs in 1997, and the Broncos threw for 186 first downs in 1998. Manning has already thrown for 128 first downs in 9 weeks, pacing him to pass for approximately 230 first downs by the end of the regular season.

In this case, the statistics do not lie. Clearly, the '12 offense is built on the brilliance of Manning's mind and arm. Moreover, the effectiveness of the '97 and '98 offenses did not hinge on quarterback play to the degree that the '12 offense does.

I found this long but great article, especially if you like the Broncos. It examines Peyton Manning's numbers thus far, side-by-side with Elway's. I don't know who the author is, but it's well written and researched. (Though I have to say I have no idea where he is hearing this criticism of Peyton's offense that he mentions.)

http://www.huffingto..._b_2132764.html

Small excerpt:

------

To put the greatness of the '12 passing offense in new light, metrics indicate that the '97 and '98 Broncos historic rushing attack is as superior to the '12 banal running game as Manning's current passing attack is to the '97 and '98 Broncos passing offenses.

Furthermore, the '12 Denver offense is on pace to surpass the '97 and '98 Broncos offense in several meaningful totals.

Manning's offense should accrue just over 6,300 yards and score around 480 points. Elway's '97 offense totaled 472 points and 5,872 yards. A year later, the Broncos amassed 501 points on 6,092 yards; it is worth remembering that Elway only played 13 games during the 1998 season. So, Manning's '12 offense will likely produce more yards than the '97 and '98 offenses. With potential blowouts looming against remaining lackluster opponents, it is also completely possible Manning's offense outscores Elway's '97 and '98 units.

Additionally, it is crucial to examine a quarterback's total passing first downs. This figure demonstrates how responsible a quarterback is for his offense's collective success.

Elway passed for 172 first downs in 1997, and the Broncos threw for 186 first downs in 1998. Manning has already thrown for 128 first downs in 9 weeks, pacing him to pass for approximately 230 first downs by the end of the regular season.

In this case, the statistics do not lie. Clearly, the '12 offense is built on the brilliance of Manning's mind and arm. Moreover, the effectiveness of the '97 and '98 offenses did not hinge on quarterback play to the degree that the '12 offense does.

Oh to have a back like TD ( Oh I Do My Back Is TD = Terrible Daily -- LOL )

I disagree with that article. The 97 and 98 Broncos had something called Terrell Davis that made up 75% of their offense. Sure Elway this Elway that, but I don't think they would have beat the Packers without Terrell Davis in that Super Bowl. GB did a good job keeping Elway in check, but Davis totally ran all over them. They got lucky playing that Atlanta team the next year. Minnesota would have put up a much better fight that year. I am quite certain Minnesota probably would have blown them out in that Super Bowl. That defensive line was down right scary in '98, and Cunnigham to Carter and Moss was just unstoppable. It felt like destiny that the Vikings would win it all that year.

The 2012 Broncos don't have a Terrell Davis, and if anything I don't know why he's not in the Hall of Fame. He was the real MVP of those teams. If anything, this Broncos team reminds me of those 80's ones.

I disagree with that article. The 97 and 98 Broncos had something called Terrell Davis that made up 75% of their offense. Sure Elway this Elway that, but I don't think they would have beat the Packers without Terrell Davis in that Super Bowl. GB did a good job keeping Elway in check, but Davis totally ran all over them. They got lucky playing that Atlanta team the next year. Minnesota would have put up a much better fight that year. I am quite certain Minnesota probably would have blown them out in that Super Bowl. That defensive line was down right scary in '98, and Cunnigham to Carter and Moss was just unstoppable. It felt like destiny that the Vikings would win it all that year.

The 2012 Broncos don't have a Terrell Davis, and if anything I don't know why he's not in the Hall of Fame. He was the real MVP of those teams. If anything, this Broncos team reminds me of those 80's ones.

I don't think the author disagrees with you. He of course mention TD in his long article if you read the whole 2600+ words. Sorry my excerpts didn't include that. And yes, it's always really tricky to compare two offenses if no downright impossible, but I think he does so with care and wider prospective than just some stats.

I agree with every single thing you said here. TD was the main feature of the 97/8 Bronocos. He was as dominant a back as I've seen before or since.

Oh to have a back like TD ( Oh I Do My Back Is TD = Terrible Daily -- LOL )

I mentioned this to my husband, and he said "I know why he is not in HOF. East coast media bias." Thought you might like that, Barry ;)

I don't think the author disagrees with you. He of course mention TD in his long article if you read the whole 2600+ words. Sorry my excerpts didn't include that. And yes, it's always really tricky to compare two offenses if no downright impossible, but I think he does so with care and wider prospective than just some stats.

I agree with every single thing you said here. TD was the main feature of the 97/8 Bronocos. He was as dominant a back as I've seen before or since.

No TD, and there is no way they would of beat GB in my eyes. I don't know why people blame that game on Favre (as they blame everything on him) he did turn it over but that's bound to happen. Every QB is going to throw picks time to time.

I don't see Denver ever matching those teams. TD is a Hall of Famer, and they are crazy for not putting him in there, yet putting Curtis Martin in there. I would have put him in there before Jerome Bettis to be honest.

I don't see Denver ever matching those teams. TD is a Hall of Famer, and they are crazy for not putting him in there, yet putting Curtis Martin in there. I would have put him in there before Jerome Bettis to be honest.

Oh my god, this made me laugh out loud. My husband and I just talked about these guys this morning. No disrespect to Curtis Martin, but we agree with you. Wait, is Bogie really your name? Is that you???

Broncos players think their D is better than Elways 2 SB winners

They're probably right. That said, I still think the '97 team was better because they didn't have a single point of failure on offense. If Elway ever had a down game it didn't matter because Davis was absolutely unstoppable and he did considerably more to open things up in the passing game. If Peyton has a down game in the playoffs, the Broncos will be in trouble because I don't think McGahee will be able to pick up the slack.

No TD, and there is no way they would of beat GB in my eyes. I don't know why people blame that game on Favre (as they blame everything on him) he did turn it over but that's bound to happen. Every QB is going to throw picks time to time.

TD's talent far outstripped his career production. He needed at least three our four more seasons to be a lock for the Hall.

They're probably right. That said, I still think the '97 team was better because they didn't have a single point of failure on offense. If Elway ever had a down game it didn't matter because Davis was absolutely unstoppable and he did considerably more to open things up in the passing game. If Peyton has a down game in the playoffs, the Broncos will be in trouble because I don't think McGahee Hillman will be able to pick up the slack.

Fixed ;)