Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney again a non factor

IndyTrav

Do you guys watch Hughes? He gives up on plays, or does not go to the whistle. Two plays come to mind....he has backside responsibility and rushes up field and gets washed and kind of gives up on the play, the running back cuts it back his way and he has lost contain and the back slips right under him. Mathis would have come back and not given up once the play started away from him. The other play was where both Hughes and Freeney were chasing down the QB that had gotten out of the pocket, Freeney had to almost push Hughes out of the way b/c Hughes starting jogging b/c probably thought could not catch the QB.

I just dont see the fight until the end with Hughes.

according to PFF they rank Hughes as a Top 10 OLB..

He is just a complete non-factor.

Is he still hobbled by his injury? He seems healthy. Does he just not get the defense? Is he just no longer the player he was?

Whats the problem here?

He's played 4 full games. 1 sack. 3 tackles. 1 assist.

Hughes has been in 6 full games, and done pretty well for himself 3 sack.9tackles. 7 assist.

he is still hurt freeney is still great at rushing just hobbled right now gutting it out for his team

I really could not disagree with most of you guys more. We've seen him play 3-4 OLB healthy for about 3 plays this year. He hurt his ankle first game, and hasn't been 100% since. Say what you like about his production so far, but take that into account, and give the man a bit of credit. he's out there fighting, acting as a leader on a young defense, and playing through the pain barrier each and every play.

Should he have come back for the Green bay game? Probably not, but I'm sure the diagnosis to Chuck Pagano definitely played a part in him suiting up. And heck, he got a sack in that game. He probably would've missed more games since then had Mathis not gone down. He's out there, taking up blockers, pressuring the QB and giving everything every play. he may not have sacks, but he's getting decent pressure on effectively one leg.

He doesn't have the pace or explosiveness off the edge anymore? I disagree with that, there's no way any of us can make a fully informed argument to that until we see him play without injury. Will he be back with us next year? I don't know. But to all of you saying "oh, he's not worth 14 mil" - Of course he's not! He knows that as well as anyone, and I have no doubt in my mind that he'd be willing to sign a contract for far less than that, similar to what Mathis got (if not a little less).

Heck, we've played 7 games, he's played in 5, while hurt! Don't write him off just yet. He's not the player of two or three years ago, but that doesn't mean he can't still contribute for us.

On Nevis sack, freeney was double-teamed...*and pushed the QB up into the pocket to get sacked*

He was blocked and chipped a lot..

He's a factor even wehn he doesnt make the tackle on reputation//..and we need him

Fixed it for you :)

He not getting the sacks like he used to but he's not useless in anyway. He getting more run stops, eating up blockers, he's even got a pass deflected. He's just not playing like an elite pass rusher and I think it's a combo of age and scheme.

I really could not disagree with most of you guys more. We've seen him play 3-4 OLB healthy for about 3 plays this year. He hurt his ankle first game, and hasn't been 100% since. Say what you like about his production so far, but take that into account, and give the man a bit of credit. he's out there fighting, acting as a leader on a young defense, and playing through the pain barrier each and every play.

Should he have come back for the Green bay game? Probably not, but I'm sure the diagnosis to Chuck Pagano definitely played a part in him suiting up. And heck, he got a sack in that game. He probably would've missed more games since then had Mathis not gone down. He's out there, taking up blockers, pressuring the QB and giving everything every play. he may not have sacks, but he's getting decent pressure on effectively one leg.

He doesn't have the pace or explosiveness off the edge anymore? I disagree with that, there's no way any of us can make a fully informed argument to that until we see him play without injury. Will he be back with us next year? I don't know. But to all of you saying "oh, he's not worth 14 mil" - Of course he's not! He knows that as well as anyone, and I have no doubt in my mind that he'd be willing to sign a contract for far less than that, similar to what Mathis got (if not a little less).

Heck, we've played 7 games, he's played in 5, while hurt! Don't write him off just yet. He's not the player of two or three years ago, but that doesn't mean he can't still contribute for us.

Agree with all you said except that he wouldn't be willing to sign a contract for far less then what he is making now, why? because it should have and would have been done by now, Grigson just screwed up on this one and that was before the injury, he saw the pass rushing elite skills and probably thought Freeney could change his instincts and angles taken to pass rush or keep containment which I believe Freeney could do, it just simply was not going to happen this year.

Agree with all you said except that he wouldn't be willing to sign a contract for far less then what he is making now, why? because it should have and would have been done by now, Grigson just screwed up on this one and that was before the injury, he saw the pass rushing elite skills and probably thought Freeney could change his instincts and angles taken to pass rush or keep containment which I believe Freeney could do, it just simply was not going to happen this year.

Why wouldn't he sign a new contract for less money at the end of the season? Heck Reggie did. I think it's certainly possible, and he knows that no team in the league will offer him $14 million a season - or at least no team with realistic playoff ambitions. I'm not saying he will sign a new deal with us, but I do believe it's very possible.

Freeney is playing hurt in a new position without Mathis on the other side. I agree, a healthy Freeney in his prime would not need much help on the line to be disruptive, but right now he does need help, and Hughes is not good enough. If Mathis can get back, we should be better at pressuring the QB. This definitely is an area of concern right now. Freeney very well may not be back next year, and certainly not for superstar money. Hughes also may not be back next year - limited usefulness, and a total non-factor when playing Freeney's position. Hopefully we can get our defensive line starters healthy this year and not have to depend on Hughes. Freeney can still be a difference maker, but again, he needs help on the D-line - Mathis, and someone to put pressure up the middle. If he can get healthy it should also improve his speed and power.