Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sqaure pegs in round holes...the longview

cmgww

I was at the game today. While the loss sucked for sure, I left thinking this: this staff is charged with fitting defense drafted to play Tampa 2 into a hybrid 3-4 D. Yeah there have been some players added (Redding, Tom Z, Davis, etc.), but a lot of this D is still left over from last year. Players are still adjusting, some better than others. But it is going to take time. And on offense, we know the line is terrible. At the end of the game we were down a ton of players on both sides of the ball. Throw in the terrible officiating and you have a loss. My point is keep the faith. The staff is doing the best with what they have. Heck SF lost today to the Vikings! We will get better with time. That is all....

Compare the colts NT and ILB's to the rest of the nfl's 3-4 and your right... and i think the colts realized the fact with mookie after they put in that guy from PS in.... (i dont even know all their names yet lol). This team is gonna be a really good team next year thats for sure.

It's going to take some time on the defense. I do like the peaces we have added (Redding and Davis mostly) but we still have work to do mostly at the DT spot. McKinney being hurt doesn't but hopefully he'll be back next year and frankly Chapman will probably help as well in the future. I really look at him as almost a bonus draft pick for next year.

Some guys are taking to this defense though. Mathis has four sacks in three games he's taking to the 3/4 like a fish to water.

My biggest gripe with the defense is the same that is has been the last few years not enough turnovers. Two in three games isn't going to cut it. We need a couple of more play makers on defense.

I still think the future is bright. I am just disappointed with all the conservative play calling on offense in the 3rd quarter. This team has come out and laid turds in all 3 games to start the 2nd half. We are playing too conservatively too soon in my opinion particularly the last 2 games. You can not approach the whole 3rd quarter with the mentality of protecting the lead and expect to win. We don't yet have the defense or the running game to win that way. We got away with it in the Vikings game but it came back to bite us today. IMO, we should still be in attack mode with the passing game in the 3rd quarter. Run to keep them honest but don't try to hide your QB behind it. Let him try to win the friggin game because he is our best chance right now. Play to protect the lead near the end of the 4th quarter if necessary.

So my concern is primarily with the coaching staff's ability to make half time adjustments at this point not with the general composition of the team itself. I fully appreciate that we are still a work in progress and I do expect things will get better in time when we are able to add more personnel better suited to the schemes we want to play.