Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Need a better Running Back?

ColtFan12

Yeah, actually, that's Brown's biggest asset.

Brown runs like a 4.58, I wouldn't call that break away...he play faster than 4.58...Addia ran a 4.44 and never looked as fast as brown

But like The intellegent people keep saying...it doesn't matter who is playing Running back....they aren't going to do to much better against teams who are stacking the box with 8 people daring Luck, the rookie, to throw.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown runs like a 4.58, I wouldn't call that break away...he play faster than 4.58...Addia ran a 4.44 and never looked as fast as brown

But like The intellegent people keep saying...it doesn't matter who is playing Running back....they aren't going to do to much better against teams who are stacking the box with 8 people daring Luck, the rookie, to throw.

Yeah, he doesn't have elite top end speed, but he has very good functional speed. I do think he runs fast enough that he can break away from people, though, if the space is there.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with how Brown has been at the running back position for the Colts, but I feel that they could do better. If the Colts had a better running back that would take some of the pressure off Luck and the Colts would be a balanced team and maybe even a better team. I feel the Colts should not wait until next year's draft to get a running back, I think that either they get one in a trade or find someone in free agency. Thoughts?

Browns Production has nothing to do with his skill set or talent, he is a good back, Its the lines play that limits what he's able to do. There aren't many backs in the league that can get great production behind the colts line. So its simple improve the line Brown's production gets better. (don't be surprised if in a few weeks once the line starts to gel, that brown puts up great numbers)

I'm sure everyone agrees that our O-line does suck, but if your O-line does suck, is Brown the type of back you want getting the majority of the carries? I'd rather have someone who can make contact and fall forward for a few yards.

I'm sure everyone agrees that our O-line does suck, but if your O-line does suck, is Brown the type of back you want getting the majority of the carries? I'd rather have someone who can make contact and fall forward for a few yards.

Actually, Donald has been doing just about as well as Adrian Peterson when getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. When hit in the backfield the first game, DB averaged about -2.33 YPC. AP averaged about -1.33 YPC. In the second game, they both averaged about +0.33 YPC when hit in the backfield.

The difference is that DB is hit in the backfield nearly twice as much as AP (37.5% vs 20%).

Actually, Donald has been doing just about as well as Adrian Peterson when getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. When hit in the backfield the first game, DB averaged about -2.33 YPC. AP averaged about -1.33 YPC. In the second game, they both averaged about +0.33 YPC when hit in the backfield.

The difference is that DB is hit in the backfield nearly twice as much as AP (37.5% vs 20%).

That's an interesting comparison, but you would have to dig a little more deeply into those numbers and examine the video of Peterson. It's a small sample size and Peterson is returning from injury, so...

Brown has never struck me as a back who can move a pile.

That's an interesting comparison, but you would have to dig a little more deeply into those numbers and examine the video of Peterson. It's a small sample size and Peterson is returning from injury, so...

That's actually true. It'll be interesting to see if those averages hold up over the course of the year.

I actually did watch the videos of each of their runs pretty closely. What those stats don't reflect (other than rate of backfield penetration) is the quality of the O line play. With the Vikings offensive line, the runner gets to the LOS so cleanly. They generate so much push that usually a new line of scrimmage is created a yard or two downfield. I only recall a few times that I saw that happen with the Colts offensive line.

Again, I maintain that you'll probably get a better yield by upgrading your offensive line over your running back.

I don't think he can move the pile either. He's not a very good short yardage back, I would say.

By the way, I just rewatched Brown's carries, and his second touch of the game he's stiff arming a defensive tackle (Kevin Williams, one of the better tackles in the league, who outweighs Brown by a good hundred pounds) two yards behind the line of scrimmage, getting away from him and gaining four yards.

This is what the charting that's been shown really stresses: it's hard to grade any running back when he's constantly having to deal with defenders in his face as soon as he gets the ball. Brown is not the kind of back who is going to break a lot of tackles, and he struggles finding the lanes to run behind fragmented blocking, but he has very positive attributes otherwise. I just don't see his running style or his physicality (or lack thereof) being the issue at this point. I don't think any back would be very productive behind this line.

I don't think he can move the pile either. He's not a very good short yardage back, I would say.

By the way, I just rewatched Brown's carries, and his second touch of the game he's stiff arming a defensive tackle (Kevin Williams, one of the better tackles in the league, who outweighs Brown by a good hundred pounds) two yards behind the line of scrimmage, getting away from him and gaining four yards.

This is what the charting that's been shown really stresses: it's hard to grade any running back when he's constantly having to deal with defenders in his face as soon as he gets the ball. Brown is not the kind of back who is going to break a lot of tackles, and he struggles finding the lanes to run behind fragmented blocking, but he has very positive attributes otherwise. I just don't see his running style or his physicality (or lack thereof) being the issue at this point. I don't think any back would be very productive behind this line.

I would say that that would be a very accurate description of our run blocking right now. The run blocking looks completely fragmented. Comparing it to how cohesive the Vikings line is, is like night and day.