Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts have to spend most of cap?

azcolt

I think there is some type of league rule requiring teams to spend most of their cap, right? I wonder what the consequences will be if they don’t as it seems highly unlikely that we will get anywhere close to our cap.

Ballard is either playing three-dimensional chess or he is in over his head. Hopefully, the former is true and we will all soon be experiencing shock and awe.

4 hours ago, azcolt said:

I think there is some type of league rule requiring teams to spend most of their cap, right? I wonder what the consequences will be if they don’t as it seems highly unlikely that we will get anywhere close to our cap.

Ballard is either playing three-dimensional chess or he is in over his head. Hopefully, the former is true and we will all soon be experiencing shock and awe.

See SCC's answer and like to a thread that contains great details on your question.

But the quick and skinny-

Teams must spend 89% of the cap in cash over a 4 year period (not yearly, and we are in year 2 of this period)

If the team does not spend it, they are fined the shortage,  and then it is distributed to the team roster players as directed by the  NFLPA

Well hopefully Ballard will spend it all and spend it wisely. I think we all understand that long term the draft is the answer but in the meantime there is no reason to sit on piles of cash when that cash can help put a competitive team on the field. If his goal is a couple more 4-12 seasons to ensure a high first round  draft pick, I think he may find his job in jeopardy in a year or two. 

2 hours ago, azcolt said:

Well hopefully Ballard will spend it all and spend it wisely. I think we all understand that long term the draft is the answer but in the meantime there is no reason to sit on piles of cash when that cash can help put a competitive team on the field. If his goal is a couple more 4-12 seasons to ensure a high first round  draft pick, I think he may find his job in jeopardy in a year or two. 

Unless Irsay is on board with a longer term plan. I'm guessing we will see a draft that builds up the trenches and protects Luck, and we just coast through this year while Luck is rusty, and spend more heavily on free agents next year, to coincide with the young players having more experience.

In any case, there probably is almost no way to go 4-12 with Luck as QB.

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

See SCC's answer and like to a thread that contains great details on your question.

But the quick and skinny-

Teams must spend 89% of the cap in cash over a 4 year period (not yearly, and we are in year 2 of this period)

If the team does not spend it, they are fined the shortage,  and then it is distributed to the team roster players as directed by the  NFLPA

So, the Colts could rollover any amount this year as long as they spend (up to 89%) over the next 2 years...?

2 minutes ago, egg said:

So, the Colts could rollover any amount this year as long as they spend (up to 89%) over the next 2 years...?

That would be 89% of the 4 year average of the cap.
If we come under that, we make up the difference to the players association and they distribute it to the members.

Yes have two more years to get up 2 that %.
Cleveland came into this FA with over $100M. They saved their $$$, got high draft picks to build their roster, and are  now starting to add FA talent. They have amazing draft picks and still have plenty of $$ to add more Quality FA next year.

That is the same thing Jax has done and what we MUST do. Pray for the #1 draft pick next season.