Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock draft

Im down to trade back in the 1st round, but I'm trying out different trades in other rounds to get a feel of what would be best. I do think we trade back at some point throughout the draft.

Round 1: Haason Reddick, if we keep this pick and he's still here it wouldn't make sense to pass him up. Best player available at our biggest need IMO.

Alternative: Ruben Foster, ILBs aren't valued liked they should be, pass rushers and cover guys get overvalued. Ruben probably won't be here but if he is again a no brainer. 

Round 2: Trade w/ Seattle for comp. 3

Pick: Derek Rivers, day 1 situational edge rusher with rare size/strength/speed combo. Uses hands well but also bends the corner as well as smaller prospects. Level of competition is what causes him to land here.

Alternative: TJ Watt, may go before this but has only 1 year of experience on defense. Uses leverage and long arms to get into linemens chest. Needs more strength to disengage quicker and more effectively. Comes in on sub packages year 1 but turns into an every down player sooner then later. 

Round 3: Jordan Lewis, should've gone a round earlier but domestic case kills him. Best slot corner in class and is more then capable of being our #2. 

Alternative: Cameron Sutton, with a full season last year Sutton goes much higher. Inside, outside cb, and safety with return ability. 

Round 3* Sea pick: Shaquill Griffin, after impressing at the combine I had to go back and watch his tape. Physical corner who tackles well and has great ball skills. 15 PBU and 4 picks in 2016(13,3 in 2015). Long arms and strong frame is ideal for our press scheme. Scouts before the combine had major concerns of his deep speed, on tape he has gotten beat deep but from the big plays I saw it was miss communication or bitting on a double move. 

Alternative: Howard Wilson, underclassmen with alot of room to grow. Great length with smooth hips and nice foot work. Tackled really well in college, but strength might be an issue in the NFL. 

Round 4: Xavier Woods, rangy safety with great instincts. One of the better tackling/hitting safeties in the class. May go earlier but depth of safety in the draft could have him fall here.

Alternative: John Johnson, former corner with the ideal ball skills for a FS who can also play the slot. Didn't impress with his 40 but shows explosion and quick twitch with his vertical and 3 cone. 

Round 4: Alex Anzalone, very talented linebacker who unfortunately has a problem with injuries. Could go higher, but could easily fall here with his history. 

Alternative: Anthony Walker Jr., highly criticized for gaining muscle weight and being less productive this year. Im in the process of watching both 2015 and 2016, so far his 16 tape seems solid but there must be a reason he's falling down boards.

Round 4: Grover Stewart, 6'4 340 who I've had my eyes on for a while. Then my man has his pro day and the big fella runs a 5.06. Small school prospect with needed polish, but he's shooting up boards. Probably beats out any NT we have on the roster year 1 with the sky as the limit.

Alternative: Stevie T, the better option if were looking for a NT to start right away. 25 year old rookie but plays like it with polished technique and great hand usage. Lacks ideal length

Round 5: trade back 5 spots for a later 6th

Pick: DeAngelo Henderson, my favorite sleeper back this year. Best comp I've seen is to Brandon Oliver from the LACs. Short but stout and uses that great leverage and thickness to overpower bigger and heavier tacklers. By no means an every down back, but the ideal change of pace who can catch and block as well as return kicks. 

Alternative: Aaron Jones, very productive back but comes with serious lower body injuries. Versatility to run inside and outside and catches the ball extremely well. 

Round 6: Roderick Henderson, another small school NT who I've become a huge fan of. 6'1 340 pounds after losing 15 since the end of the season. Shows great movement for such a big man on film and proves it with a 5.22 and 1.79 10 yard split. Great at winning inside leverage and pushing or closing a gap as well as splitting double teams. 

Alternative: Eli Ankou, a guy we've already worked out so I had to take a look. I really like these late round sleeper NTs and I'd personally love to grab 2. Al Woods is more of a 3 tech and David Parry is David Parry.

I like it. I would prefer Howard Wilson where ever you want to take him. I think you had him as an alternate. He can do it all and could be a steal in this loaded class. I think if he went back to schools he'd be a 1st round pick next year. He will need a little time He's one of my favorite CB's outside the top 50.  

I'm not complaining and I would love all the D but I think we stumble across at least one OL somewhere. I like dropping back day 3 to add later picks. Hop is one of my favorite small school RB's. 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

I like it. I would prefer Howard Wilson where ever you want to take him. I think you had him as an alternate. He can do it all and could be a steal in this loaded class. I think if he went back to schools he'd be a 1st round pick next year. He will need a little time He's one of my favorite CB's outside the top 50.  

I'm not complaining and I would love all the D but I think we stumble across at least one OL somewhere. I like dropping back day 3 to add later picks. Hop is one of my favorite small school RB's. 

Good point about Wilson he might have as much potential as anyone. I'm a big fan of Shaquill, why I give him the slit edge is 1. Hes the better athlete 2. He already has his long frame filled out 3. Although its very debatable, to me Griffin is the better tackler but Wilson is more then solid I just worry about his skinny frame.

Hmm So you'd prefer a later round OL? I mean it wouldn't hurt at all and maybe we hit it big, but I'm just not sure a late round G or T even competes with this class being so bad. To me if we go OL it probably should be rounds 1 or 2. I'm optimistic with Haeg and Clark being coached for a 2nd year by Philbin and I like how these guys are working out and lifting together all 5 becoming a unit. 

Thanks for the feedback man!! Bleed blue

Reddick, cool.

I'd like Jordan Willis over Rivers if he's available. If not I'm okay with Rivers or Watt.

Love Jourdan Lewis.

I'd take Wilson over Griffin. Strength can grow, especially if he's an underclassman.

And I'd take Johnson over Woods due to our needs being more towards the FS than the SS right now.

Other than that, pretty good.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Reddick, cool.

I'd like Jordan Willis over Rivers if he's available. If not I'm okay with Rivers or Watt.

Love Jourdan Lewis.

I'd take Wilson over Griffin. Strength can grow, especially if he's an underclassman.

And I'd take Johnson over Woods due to our needs being more towards the FS than the SS right now.

Other than that, pretty good.

Hmm idk, Willis was definitely my 3rd option and I'd love to have him at that spot if my guys aren't there but I think Rivers has a higher upside moves more fluidly with great length.Willis and Watt is a toss up to me. Dont mind Wilson at all but I'd recommend a watch of Shaquill. Ganna have to go back and watch full games but it was worth it to me. Xavier has the ball skills and athleticism to play FS and why I give him the edge is he is a much better tackler then JJ. Doesn't give the versatility to play corner, but im not worried about that.

Thanks for the feedback!!

On 4/10/2017 at 9:48 PM, Tmoney said:

Good point about Wilson he might have as much potential as anyone. I'm a big fan of Shaquill, why I give him the slit edge is 1. Hes the better athlete 2. He already has his long frame filled out 3. Although its very debatable, to me Griffin is the better tackler but Wilson is more then solid I just worry about his skinny frame.

Hmm So you'd prefer a later round OL? I mean it wouldn't hurt at all and maybe we hit it big, but I'm just not sure a late round G or T even competes with this class being so bad. To me if we go OL it probably should be rounds 1 or 2. I'm optimistic with Haeg and Clark being coached for a 2nd year by Philbin and I like how these guys are working out and lifting together all 5 becoming a unit. 

Thanks for the feedback man!! Bleed blue

I wouldn't prefer a late round OL. I think G's are undervalued and we can get help in rounds 3-5. I think Haeg lacks the strength inside  to anchor. He was put on skates last year. It's not out of the question that he has/can add the strength necessary but not a given. Good's a back up. Blythe is a pure pivot. We still need a RG. 

I would agree the T's in the class are poor. Moton really should be inside and I'm not convinced Dawkins shouldn't  be either. I think the G class is better than last year. I have a guy I think helps the end of day 2 and one that goes the middle of day 3. 

I think Dorian Johnson could come in and start at RG. He's well rounded with the ability to play T. He looks like a 10 yr starter at G in the league to me. He had a bad combine so he continues to be overlooked. It was not so long ago he had 1st round buzz. I have seen him mocked mostly in the 3rd. He may end up the best G in the class. 

I guy I think could surprise is Pyke from UG. You have to go back 3 yrs to find really good tape on him. He's not a T but to his credit he played where they needed him without a compliant. He played through a knee injury this year. Georgia went through a sea of changes during his time there. 

21 hours ago, akcolt said:

I wouldn't prefer a late round OL. I think G's are undervalued and we can get help in rounds 3-5. I think Haeg lacks the strength inside  to anchor. He was put on skates last year. It's not out of the question that he has/can add the strength necessary but not a given. Good's a back up. Blythe is a pure pivot. We still need a RG. 

I would agree the T's in the class are poor. Moton really should be inside and I'm not convinced Dawkins shouldn't  be either. I think the G class is better than last year. I have a guy I think helps the end of day 2 and one that goes the middle of day 3. 

I think Dorian Johnson could come in and start at RG. He's well rounded with the ability to play T. He looks like a 10 yr starter at G in the league to me. He had a bad combine so he continues to be overlooked. It was not so long ago he had 1st round buzz. I have seen him mocked mostly in the 3rd. He may end up the best G in the class. 

I guy I think could surprise is Pyke from UG. You have to go back 3 yrs to find really good tape on him. He's not a T but to his credit he played where they needed him without a compliant. He played through a knee injury this year. Georgia went through a sea of changes during his time there. 

I hope Dorian falls to our top 4th rounder if that's where were looking. Long arms strong at the POA but he doesn't move well. He has good feet, but when he reach blocks he looks a bit stuck in the mud. 

On 4/12/2017 at 8:19 PM, akcolt said:

I think Dorian Johnson could come in and start at RG. He's well rounded with the ability to play T. He looks like a 10 yr starter at G in the league to me. He had a bad combine so he continues to be overlooked. It was not so long ago he had 1st round buzz. I have seen him mocked mostly in the 3rd. He may end up the best G in the class

The more film I watch, the more I like Dorian Johnson. 

****Redo

Round 1: trade w/ Denver for 3rd & 5th

Pick: Jarrad Davis. Physically gifted athlete, great instincts, and a tone-setter/ leader. Don't be surprised if he's the best ILB in this class

Round 2: Tyus Bowser. Versatile LB, great burst off the edge, fluid feet/hips and comfortable in coverage. Plays the Will in base D and edge in sub packages. Has a Jamie Collins ceiling IMO

Round 3: Jordan Lewis. One of the best corners in the class, if he falls here I may cry with joy.

Round 3(Denver): Dorian Johnson. Got to give credit to akcolt. Has the feet, strength at POA, elite arm length, and functional strength to start at RG day 1. Would need to beat out some nice competition only making him better.

Round 4: Shaquill Griffin. Might not make it here, but a very physical corner with great athleticism. 

Round 4: Delano Hill. New favorite safety. Media seems to be sleeping on him but his tape speaks for itself. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes earlier then most think, if he lands here I'm ecstatic.

Round 4: Jimmie Gilbert. Great athlete with elite length and burst. Must fill out his frame to be an every down edge, but can add quality pass rush year 1.

Round 5: Grover Stewart. Love the Hankins signing but not confident in our depth at NT. Al Woods is more of a 3 tech and David Parry may be cut. Grover has no ceiling and will give quality reps year 1.

Round 5: Chris Carson. Runs with power but also a nice athlete. Decent hands and an adequate blocker but both will need to be improved. Has a ton of potential and is able to be a "work horse" if need be.

9. Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State (Ga.) (Division II)

Stewart is a coordinated big man and physical bully, beating blockers with his natural size and gifts more than technique or efficient hand moves. He lacks polish, but Stewart is a flash performer, showing that he can rush the passer and anchor vs. the run.

Seen this on CBS