Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/nfl Hamstring Injuries Running A Muck!

DILLIGAFER

I don't claim to be or ever know the full extent of any players Hamstring injuries. It was said that the NFL and all teams expected the injuries due to the lockout, but here is my question. If they knew it was going to be a problem, was there anything the teams could have done to limit drills that tend to lead to hamstring injuries? As i wandered through teams' injury reports, i see too many hamstring injuries. Including the Colts.

So, with that said, does anyone have any experience with these injuries and what's the main culprit? After gonzo went down with one and several other Colts, it got my curiosity.

I don't claim to be or ever know the full extent of any players Hamstring injuries. It was said that the NFL and all teams expected the injuries due to the lockout, but here is my question. If they knew it was going to be a problem, was there anything the teams could have done to limit drills that tend to lead to hamstring injuries? As i wandered through teams' injury reports, i see too many hamstring injuries. Including the Colts.

So, with that said, does anyone have any experience with these injuries and what's the main culprit? After gonzo went down with one and several other Colts, it got my curiosity.

I don't think there's any specific drill that tends to lead to hamstring injuries. Anything that includes running, jumping, or any other strenuous lower body activity is going to involve the hamstrings. Only thing you can do is stretch really good, warm up patiently, cool down after workouts, and stay hydrated. There are certain foods and supplements that can help reduce cramps and muscle spasms, but that doesn't really prevent minor strains and tears. These hamstrings issues are really common in training camp and preseason, because players are just getting back into having a full workload. Even more so after an entire offseason with no team activities.

It's really nothing to get too worried about. I think Gonzo will be fine, and I think 95% of the players with these minor hamstrings issues will be fine. It's par for the course.

I used to play basketball and football in college. I have never seen so many injuries as the colts have had. The one thing you are taught from grade school to the pros is how to stretch and stretch properly. In college we would take at least 25 minutes of stretching and then have a warm up period. Start off as a jog while working your way up to a full sprint and then we would go full speed on the field. I would think at the pro level they would have this down to a science. Every body talks about the lockout, but these are pro athletes and should have their bodies atleast up to practice shape. Its like Peyton is throwing to China dolls.

I used to play basketball and football in college. I have never seen so many injuries as the colts have had. The one thing you are taught from grade school to the pros is how to stretch and stretch properly. In college we would take at least 25 minutes of stretching and then have a warm up period. Start off as a jog while working your way up to a full sprint and then we would go full speed on the field. I would think at the pro level they would have this down to a science. Every body talks about the lockout, but these are pro athletes and should have their bodies atleast up to practice shape. Its like Peyton is throwing to China dolls.

Good to have the insight of an expert.

Here's what the other experts say about hamstring injuries:

Hamstring injuries sort of random

Some stretching exercises once thought helpful in prevention now are considered taboo. Many researchers question the value of stretching at all.

Treatment has advanced but is a work in progress.

One factor cited is the balance between hamstrings and the big muscles in the front of the thigh, the quadriceps.

"The quadriceps are normally stronger. But if they suddenly become way stronger than the hamstrings, then they tend to overwhelm that unit," says Douglas McKeag, director of the Indiana University Center for Sports Medicine.

Gonzo suffered knee injuries two years in a row. His rehab likely affected the balance of his quad/hamstring muscles, which may have put him at risk for hamstring injuries.

Innovative work for hamstring injuries

Hamstring injuries are particularly common as a result of sprinting, jumping and other activities where quick starts and stops are required. High-risk sports for hamstring strains are soccer, football, baseball, basketball and many track and field events. Runners are especially susceptible to chronic hamstring strains due to the repetitive nature of the sport.

Half of hamstring injuries happen in preseason

"It's pretty striking," said Dr. Marcus Elliott, the founder and director of Peak Performance Project, a Santa Barbara, California-based institute that works with elite athletes. "There is a huge number of injuries that occur during the first few weeks of training."

Elliott proposes developing more personalized off-season exercise programs that identify players most at risk of hamstring injuries, and getting them into proper prevention training.

... something that couldn't happen this year because of the lockout.

NFL expected strains and pulls after lockout

When the N.F.L. lockout ended last month and players streamed into training camps on short notice after no supervised off-season workouts, many expected a series of nagging hamstring strains and quadriceps pulls to result, the normal early-season indicators of overexertion and uneven fitness.

Arian Foster

Miles Austin

Rashad Foster, Steve Slaton, Ben Tate

Clay Matthews, Brett Swain, Davon House, Spencer Havner

Aqib Talib

Peyton Hillis, TJ Ward, Benjamin Watson

Visanthe Shiancoe, Heath Farwell, Tyrell Johnson

Just a small sample, but I think that oughta do it. Stop blaming this on the Colts. It's widespread around the league, and it's no one's fault. Not only that, it's really not a big deal, as long as it's treated properly.

Good to have the insight of an expert.

Here's what the other experts say about hamstring injuries:

Hamstring injuries sort of random

Gonzo suffered knee injuries two years in a row. His rehab likely affected the balance of his quad/hamstring muscles, which may have put him at risk for hamstring injuries.

Innovative work for hamstring injuries

Half of hamstring injuries happen in preseason

... something that couldn't happen this year because of the lockout.

NFL expected strains and pulls after lockout

Arian Foster

Miles Austin

Rashad Foster, Steve Slaton, Ben Tate

Clay Matthews, Brett Swain, Davon House, Spencer Havner

Aqib Talib

Peyton Hillis, TJ Ward, Benjamin Watson

Visanthe Shiancoe, Heath Farwell, Tyrell Johnson

Just a small sample, but I think that oughta do it. Stop blaming this on the Colts. It's widespread around the league, and it's no one's fault. Not only that, it's really not a big deal, as long as it's treated properly.

)

Great post Superman! ( off topic, have you ever heard the Song "Superman" by the Crash Test Dummies? Great song) Anyways, where was I?

The quotes you provided are spot on. As for stretching, it is one of the most misunderstood things out there and I see professional trainers doing things to athletes that make me cringe sometimes. Now I am not implying, for a second, that the Colts staff is doing anything wrong, but it is not just a simple science like JaseAdain23 suggested. A matter of fact, his coach was asking for trouble by doing all that stretching BEFORE warming up.

When you have this many high twitch densely muscled guys going all out, especially with out the off season conditioning It should be of no surprise that this many Colts and, as you showed, other players are getting injured.

Does it suck? yes but it's to be expected to a certain degree.

Well after watching a ton of Sports Science videos, yea, I think NFL puts college to shame :). The amount of wear and tear on the body is just immense. I feel especially sorry for the o-linemen who on every play have to pound each other.

It doesn't surprise me the level of injuries at the NFL level are so much higher.