Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Playing Time during the Pre-Season....

NewColtsFan

Saw a report on SportsCenter.... reporter Bob Holtzman, who was in Indy today says that Luck will ***WILL*** play more during the pre-season than most QB's normally do.

I'm posting this because we had this discussion in a thread I think about a month ago....

The reporter didn't give the amount of time.... only that it will be more than normal...

If I had to guess, I'd say out of 16 quarters Luck will play 10. Most QB's play 7-8, some go to 9.

Few do 10. My guess is 10. More than that and you're flirting with a possible injury when you don't need to...

Again, the number guess is mine....

i don't think we are talking full quarters, a couple more series maybe. they won't leave luck out there with the second unit, and reggie and the first unit are usually out after two series. so i think 4 to 5 series a game. unless they get two nice long drives. just my guess. atleast the first couple preseason games.

I think they'd let him play the whole game if they didn't need to get the backups some reps. In to the third quarter of all 4 games is about right. Preseason will be of more interest than ever before for me, (which won't that much, because Preseason stinks).

I am sure the coaching staff will gauge his progress in camp and he is likely to go deeper than say a veteran would...but I would expect no unnecessary time for him. If he is as smart and talented as we all think he is then he will require less prep time.

Unless he struggles greatly against 1st team defenses and they attempt to build his confidence through allowing him to shred up 2nd and 3rd stringers in QT #3 and #4.

As long as the blocking is holding up, I'd like to see him play at least the full first half of each game. I think he should play through the third in the second two games. We'll see...

Good point. If they don't have the blocking down in the first game, I hope they get him out fast. It's like an unwritten rule in the preseason that you don't try to kill the QB. But if they get clear shots they'll take them.

Good point. If they don't have the blocking down in the first game, I hope they get him out fast. It's like an unwritten rule in the preseason that you don't try to kill the QB. But if they get clear shots they'll take them.

Yeah, if it looks like our first PS game a couple years ago (Against the Vikes, I think) where Peyton dropped back to throw 4 times and was hurried/hit on 3 of them, I'd rather just call it a night and send in the replacables.

Yeah, if it looks like our first PS game a couple years ago (Against the Vikes, I think) where Peyton dropped back to throw 4 times and was hurried/hit on 3 of them, I'd rather just call it a night and send in the replacables.

Right, and it's not just the O-line. GD Donald and the rest of the RBs and H-Backs better know their assignments and pick up the rushers too. Just because Luck is so far along that "it's scary", doesn't mean the rest of the team is there with him.

Saw a report on SportsCenter.... reporter Bob Holtzman, who was in Indy today says that Luck will ***WILL*** play more during the pre-season than most QB's normally do.

I'm posting this because we had this discussion in a thread I think about a month ago....

The reporter didn't give the amount of time.... only that it will be more than normal...

If I had to guess, I'd say out of 16 quarters Luck will play 10. Most QB's play 7-8, some go to 9.

Few do 10. My guess is 10. More than that and you're flirting with a possible injury when you don't need to...

Again, the number guess is mine....

I don't think this should come as much of a surprise. Honestly, with as much change in personnel and coaching as we've had this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the entire first team get more preseason playing time than normal. They have new players almost everywhere running a new offense and a new defense. I know there are always injury concerns, but they likely need more full speed, game condition reps than a Colts team has needed for quite some time.