Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ok, I might be crazy

Greenoughrunner

Much respect to Bob in his hey day, but his playing days are over. Unfortunately his body can't keep up with his playing style.

Why not try him out as an assistant secondary coach? He could teach these young kids how to hit hard and cleanly.

That is an excellent point lollygagger. Teaching our youth how to hit cleanly without getting penalized by a zebra is a great idea! There is so much that Sanders could show our secondary didactically. :thmup:

Thank you also for acknowledging Sanders injury problems near the tail end of his NFL career too. That's why I love your analysis Lollygager: You speak the truth and sugarcoat nothing.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of respect for Bob? Really? Did anyone say that Bob couldn't play? Did anyone say he wasn't smart on the football field? Did anyone say he didn't contribute to our Championship in 2006? Did anyone say he wasn't a valuable cog in the locker room or the Indianapolis community overall? Did anyone underestimate his contributions in any way, shape, or form on this topic of discussion? That's a no on all counts IMO.

The human body deteriorates over time. The mind is sharp, but the muscles just don't heal or cooperate like they once did. That's all. No one can play forever. Every athlete's career sunsets without exception. I don't think anyone on here disrespected Bob Sanders personally. If Bob Sanders could still play, he'd still be on San Diego's active team roster right now. No one needs to apologize on this matter whatsoever.

Chill out buttercup. Gavin made reference to the "Water Boy" regarding Bob Sanders............I think that was disrespecting Bob who was the furthest of all the players on the team from the waterboy. Bob Sanders was the most physical player the Colts have had since (possibly) Mike Curtis. Any reference to Bob and waterboy is as ridiculous as your post stating no one is disrespecting Bob.

Chill out buttercup. Gavin made reference to the "Water Boy" regarding Bob Sanders............I think that was disrespecting Bob who was the furthest of all the players on the team from the waterboy. Bob Sanders was the most physical player the Colts have had since (possibly) Mike Curtis. Any reference to Bob and waterboy is as ridiculous as your post stating no one is disrespecting Bob.

The truth is Golfr that Bob Sanders would probably twist an ankle, a knee, or rotator's cup delivering water. You know it and I know it sir. Bye Buttercup. Thank you for proving my point. Bob Sanders is injury prone. Was he an exceptional safety in his prime? Yes, no question. Did his body give out? Yes. Does father time catch up to every athlete? Yes.

One last piece of advice Golfr: pointing out that Bob Sanders was indeed injury prone does not make anyone "ridiculous"; it's called reality sir. Thank you for playing sir. It certainly has been educational in my mind anyway.

Yes Golfr, you are certainly entitled to your point of view and perhaps "the water reference" displayed a hint of disrespectfulness, but at the end of the day, after 2006, Sanders was bogged down and sidelined due to injuries was he not? No amount of anger over being disrespected is going to change that fact period...end of story. Is Sanders playing in San Diego right now? Nope. Why? Because of rampant injury problems and similar ailments.

Everybody keeps saying this and thet..

..but (and it helps if you dont ignore these repeatdly stated qualifications..)

if he expresses an interetst (which I dont klnow if he has)...

..and if he passes a physical...(which he hasnt)....

..and if he'd play for the vet minimum (which I dont know if he would)/

You'd have to sign him. Talk about a 'wasted roster space' is insane.

Its training camp.....Its Bob Sanders...former MVP

he's same age as Troy in Pitt and younger than Ed Reed in Baltimore.. .

.Some folks seem angry at Sanders (who is 31) because he got hurt. I'm not. Its training camp. and we're not loade with all-pros at safety

......No one in his right mind wouldnt sign him for a look-see

Everybody keeps saying this and thet..

..but (and it helps if you dont ignore these repeatdly stated qualifications..)

if he expresses an interetst (which I dont klnow if he has)...

..and if he passes a physical...(which he hasnt)....

..and if he'd play for the vet minimum (which I dont know if he would)/

You'd have to sign him. Talk about a 'wasted roster space' is insane.

Its training camp.....Its Bob Sanders...former MVP

he's same age as Troy in Pitt and younger than Ed Reed in Baltimore.. .

.Some folks seem angry at Sanders (who is 31) because he got hurt. I'm not. Its training camp. and we're not loade with all-pros at safety

......No one in his right mind wouldnt sign him for a look-see

No you don't have to just sign him if he passes a physical and wants to play for vet minimum. You do have to factor in things like why is a player who is a former MVP on the market who wants to play for Vet minimum? Oh that's because he can't stay healthy. Is this truly the best move for a team who is rebuilding to sign an injury prone player who is already over the age of 30? We aren't the Steelers or Ravens who are expecting to compete for Super Bowls which is why they are okay to play with older players. Also Reed and Troy do not have the injury history that Sanders does. That's the deal breaker here. It has been proven you can not count on Sanders to be healthy. If he could be healthy and the Colts could count on him odds are he wouldn't be on the market in the first place and if he was he wouldn't be this cheap. The whole league knows Sanders can't stay healthy which is why no one will sign him. Also even if the Colts did sign him it's been proven players who injury filled histories the ways Sanders does do lose years on their careers as a result. He's might be the same age as Troy but due to all the injuries Sanders body has a lot more wear and tear on the tires than Troy does. People aren't mad at Sanders for getting hurt. He didn't go out and try to get hurt I think people are getting frustrated with those who just want to ignore his injury history though. Sorry it doesn't matter how good of a player he was you can't ignore the facts that he's never played a full season in the NFL, only played more than 8 games twice, who has missed more games in his career than he has played in and has only played in 11 games combined the past four years. I think people are looking at Sanders with either blue tinted glasses or in a romantic view and seeing the player he once was and just hoping he'll be the samething he once was and are willing to ignore all the warning signs that he isn't that player anymore.

Look at it this way, Marvin Harrison who was a fairly healthy player most of his career and then suffered one major injury and became a shadow of his former self. Injuries destroy careers and Sanders has a major injury like that each of the past four years. That or look at it this way this team was not willing to take a chance on Peyton Manning after ONE major injury. If they weren't willing to take a chance on Peyton Manning why are you so sure they would take a chance on Bob Sanders and yes I understand we aren't talking about the same kind of money. Sorry I am not buying that he would just be his old self and I don't agree with the idea that the Colts HAVE to sign him if he passes a physical and wants to play for cheap.

If he would play for the minimum...If he passes the physical...

If he is interested...

..he'd be just like some star released someplace else..... Folks here dont 'buy it' because they feel he let them down.

They take it personally...that he got hurt...and let them down

I dont.

They take it personally that he played so few games....after being so good.

I didnt.

with the 3 repeatedly stated stipulations...(which may never occur) he's a former all-pro.

Proven. You cant ignore those stats either.

I cant predict the future...and I wont base it on the past

Its a business. Of course he gets the same shot any rookie UFA would..

To not to do o because he got hurt 3 and 4 years ago would be 'a romantic, emotional decision'

If he would play for the minimum...If he passes the physical...

If he is interested...

..he'd be just like some star released someplace else..... Folks here dont 'buy it' because they feel he let them down.

They take it personally...that he got hurt...and let them down

I dont.

They take it personally that he played so few games....after being so good.

I didnt.

with the 3 repeatedly stated stipulations...(which may never occur) he's a former all-pro.

Proven. You cant ignore those stats either.

I cant predict the future...and I wont base it on the past

Its a business. Of course he gets the same shot any rookie UFA would..

To not to do o because he got hurt 3 and 4 years ago would be 'a romantic, emotional decision'

No that's not it. I don't feel let down by Sanders. I just understand that sometimes hurt players are just that hurt players. Notice I don't run around saying we should sign other players who have a long injury history because it's not a smart thing to do. So it has nothing to do with being let down by him. It has to do with understanding Sanders is injury prone and wouldn't be the best pick up in the world because history has shown us it's a matter of time till he gets hurt again. He's been in the NFL for what 8 years now and has yet to play a full season why on earth do you think that is going to change now? You can not over look his injury history it would be foolish to do so. You want to talk stats? That game changer you are talking about has 9 tackles in the past three years. That's not exactly what I call a game changer. That screams to me a player who was once great who is nothing but a shadow of himself due to all the injuries.

There's that 'history repeats itself' thing again.....and that predicting the future thing.

He cant ever again because he's been hurt....I dont know that.

We have nothing to lose in a traing camp tryout.......

I do not hold his past injuries against him..I'm just not smart enough to predict the future.

..again..tryout....minimum salary...Mr. Irsay spends that on gas for his SUV

There's that 'history repeats itself' thing again.....and that predicting the future thing.

I do not hold his past injuries against him..I'm just not smart enough to predict the future.

I'd even let you try out.

I'd even let you try out.

Out of respect for Bob Sanders and what he has done for this franchise, I am not opposed to taking a look at him. But, knowledge, football savviness, and field awareness are not the issue. Injury likelihood is. I sign Sanders to nothing.

Knowing when to sever all ties with a player on the field is essential to progressing not regressing in the NFL. The best franchises know when it is time to let seasoned veterans go. Goodbye Bob. Thanks for all the wonderful Playoffs and SB memories. It is time to close the book on the Sanders chapter in INDY once and for all.

I have no interest in trying out. I want to win period. Sanders or myself on the squad won't provide victories on the field plain and simple.

Out of respect for Bob Sanders and what he has done for this franchise, I am not opposed to taking a look at him. But, knowledge, football savviness, and field awareness are not the issue. Injury likelihood is. I sign Sanders to nothing.

Knowing when to sever all ties with a player on the field is essential to progressing not regressing in the NFL. The best franchises know when it is time to let seasoned veterans go. Goodbye Bob. Thanks for all the wonderful Playoffs and SB memories. It is time to close the book on the Sanders chapter in INDY once and for all.

I have no interest in trying out. I want to win period. Sanders or myself on the squad won't provide victories on the field plain and simple.

again..there's that 'I know the future' thing.....where do you get that knowledge?

I dont have it. But its a business..

I'd let ANYONE try out and if they make the team at minimum pay at a position we're not strong at.. ANYONE

..and you would win.

..and KNIGHT is RIGHT..............Bob Sanders is an icon...

again..there's that 'I know the future' thing.....where do you get that knowledge?

I dont have it. But its a business..

I'd let ANYONE try out and if they make the team at minimum pay at a position we're not strong at.. ANYONE

..and you would win.

..and KNIGHT is RIGHT..............Bob Sanders is an icon...

It's clinging to attitudes like that...that get GM's fired and set franchises on the wrong path. This league is about one thing and only thing only: Production on the field right now.

"Where do you get that knowledge?" Who says I'm wrong exactly? Do see GM's clamoring to sign Sanders right now? I sure don't.

Bob is one of my all time favorite Colts.. but he will never be able to play an entire season because his knee is beyond repair. I only wish we could inject every defensive player on the roster with the heart and intensity that Bob has. We would be very hard to beat. I still miss #55 Clint Session. To me he was very similar to Sanders.. only with a bigger frame.

You dont know what anybody will 'never be able to do'

Its nt 'clinging' and I dont hear anyone 'clamoring' about anybody...Its business..

..if he wishes to return, if he'll play for the vet minimum and if he passes the physical...he's 31...like several on our D...

It would be a emotional decison to say we'll work out anybody but Bob Sanders because you insist he let us down..before

The 3 stipulations are a long shot but I would like to see it happen..and it would be welcomed by the majority..

..again..I'd give YOU a tryout...if you were 31....a former all-pro safety.............and could pass a physical..

Whether you are talking about a stranger like Castillo, or someone we all know very well like Bob Sanders, you have to ask the question.

What player on the 90 man roster at this point do you cut to sign either guy? If they aren't clearly good enough to make the final roster, I'm not sure you risk cutting someone that could end up on the practice squad.

Personally I'm open to bringing both of them in for a workout to see where they are compared to the 90 guys under contract. Well 88.

That is my limit at this point.