Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spagnoulo's Jab At The Colts

Smonroe

He implied that you can't turn it off in the preseason (like the Colts) and expect to just turn it on when it counts.

None of us like those Colts preseason games, but Spagnoulo should be worrying about his own team and leave the complaining to us.

I know he's trying to motivate his team, but let's face it, they're not all rah rah college players. They have to look at how the Colts make the playoffs every year with that formula. When his #1's start getting hurt in those preseason games, not to mention the extra wear that shows up later in the season, he'll change his mind.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/14/spagnuolo-wants-rams-to-have-no-onoff-switch/

I personally didn't see it as a remark about the Colts either and I read the remarks posted after the article and others didn't as well. JMO on the post. :excited:

He said: “It should always be on, it doesn’t matter who you play, when you play, preseason, regular season."

You could read it that every player should give their best effort all the time, which we all agree on. But if you read it as if you're talking about a team, we all know that's not true. The Rams played to win the game, they had their starters in a lot longer than we did. The score was very important to them.

The Colts use the preseason to evaluate players, which sometimes frustrates other teams (and definitely frustrates fans). Different philosophy than the Rams. All I'm saying is that ours has proven to be successful. He hasn't proven anything yet.

I would be a bit worried if I were a Rams fan. This mentality almost seems juvenile and unlearned. In the article posted in the OP, Spag refers to the score more than once, which is bizarre to say the least.

Preseason isn't a competition between two teams, it is an exhibition and a display of internal competition within the team itself. The Colts quite literally use the other team as a blind practice squad.

I think Smonroe is correct. By complementing and commenting on his (Spag) own teams philosophy, he definitely implied that the Colts have a flawed philosophy. He did so through omission, which makes it hard to put your finger on, but he most certainly slighted the Colts preseason philosophy.

Go ahead, Spago, win those preseason games bro. Don't let up. They gonna need a triage at camp if they keep it up.

Also....if there is indeed no "on/off switch", then why was Stephen Jackson switched off? Hmmmmm?

This just seems to be like you're making something out nothing to be honest :facepalm:

Don't take everything so serious MR Facepalm. Smonroe is just making conversation for the idle review of our forum members. We could go back to discussing the ups and downs of signing Randy Moss if that more suites you?

He implied that you can't turn it off in the preseason (like the Colts) and expect to just turn it on when it counts.

None of us like those Colts preseason games, but Spagnoulo should be worrying about his own team and leave the complaining to us.

I know he's trying to motivate his team, but let's face it, they're not all rah rah college players. They have to look at how the Colts make the playoffs every year with that formula. When his #1's start getting hurt in those preseason games, not to mention the extra wear that shows up later in the season, he'll change his mind.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/14/spagnuolo-wants-rams-to-have-no-onoff-switch/

Wow look at that mountain!

Oh wait...nevermind, it's just a mole hill.

He said: “It should always be on, it doesn’t matter who you play, when you play, preseason, regular season."

You could read it that every player should give their best effort all the time, which we all agree on. But if you read it as if you're talking about a team, we all know that's not true. The Rams played to win the game, they had their starters in a lot longer than we did. The score was very important to them.

The Colts use the preseason to evaluate players, which sometimes frustrates other teams (and definitely frustrates fans). Different philosophy than the Rams. All I'm saying is that ours has proven to be successful. He hasn't proven anything yet.

Let Coach Spag get a "winning veteran" team under his belt and then lets hear him talk about intensity. He is trying to build "something" there... the Colts have the "foundation" that has brought them unprecedented success.

A total non issue....

Don't take everything so serious MR Facepalm. Smonroe is just making conversation for the idle review of our forum members. We could go back to discussing the ups and downs of signing Randy Moss if that more suites you?

I'm not taking it seriously Mr. Assumptive, just pointing out what seems to be going on. It's someone trying to make something out of nothing. It's not as if his words are going to come haunt him and cause him to lose everything and become homeless.

Reading over the comments... I agree with a lot of what was said. I think John Dee makes a good point about Spags trying to build something. He has a young team and he is trying to energize them. The colts have a lot of vets who know they have to bring 100%. The Rams have younger players (especially their quarterback) who need to build up some confidence. I don't believe that the Rams played their starters into the second quarter because they wanted to win the game. They just need to get them some solid game experience so they'll be ready for the season. We know our players will be ready unless they are still battling injuries.

I'm not taking it seriously Mr. Assumptive, just pointing out what seems to be going on. It's someone trying to make something out of nothing. It's not as if his words are going to come haunt him and cause him to lose everything and become homeless.

Hey, you facepalmed my boy John Dee. lol.....

Why is it so hard to have a lighthearted conversation?

And BTW...John Dee IS now homeless thanks to your pride obliterating facepalm. If you see a guy downtown with a raggedy Manning jersey holding a sign that says "Will dance for food", its prolly John. Give the guy a sammich.

I agree with him.. I don't think the Colts practice as rough as most other teams do and i think that is a big problem. In my non professional opinion i think thats why we tend to have a lot of injury problems.. We practice, flying around to the ball, but don't practice hard contact and don't practice being rough so when it happens in the game their bodies aren't exactly ready for it.

Practicing rough would likely lead to more injuries in practice, but afterwards it would lead to less during the season when it matters. I do believe you have to find a happy medium, because you can't just always play hard and expect your team to stay healthy and still have energy at the end of the season, but at the same time, my thoughts are that we practice too soft and makes us a little less tough and takes away from any possible swagger on the field like you see with other teams.

One thing that i point to where i think we likely dont practice hard enough is with blocking. We often times get stuffed in the run game and i have a hard time believing its a lack of talent compared to the other teams' defense. I think its part coaching and part attitude.. They don't have the toughness and swagger of some of the other successful teams you think of.. Steelers, Packers in last years Super Bowl for an example. We are a very good football team, I just wish we were tougher, bigger and meaner. Oh well, as long as we have Manning under center we will still be OK to be a finnesse team.

I agree with him.. I don't think the Colts practice as rough as most other teams do and i think that is a big problem. In my non professional opinion i think thats why we tend to have a lot of injury problems.. We practice, flying around to the ball, but don't practice hard contact and don't practice being rough so when it happens in the game their bodies aren't exactly ready for it.

Practicing rough would likely lead to more injuries in practice, but afterwards it would lead to less during the season when it matters. I do believe you have to find a happy medium, because you can't just always play hard and expect your team to stay healthy and still have energy at the end of the season, but at the same time, my thoughts are that we practice too soft and makes us a little less tough and takes away from any possible swagger on the field like you see with other teams.

One thing that i point to where i think we likely dont practice hard enough is with blocking. We often times get stuffed in the run game and i have a hard time believing its a lack of talent compared to the other teams' defense. I think its part coaching and part attitude.. They don't have the toughness and swagger of some of other successful teams you think of.. Steelers, Packers in last years Super Bowl for an example. We are a very good football team, I just wish we were tougher, bigger and meaner. Oh well, as long as we have Manning under center we will still be OK to be a finnesse team.

I think you're adding too much to what Spago stated in the OP article. Spago wasn't talking about practicing extra hard, with full on careless contact. His comments were in reference to his 2-4 stringers not letting up in the second half of the pre with a substantial lead. However the comment was more-so referencing the playcalling than the effort of his players. These guys are fighting for their careers, many of which have just begun and could end as suddenly.

The mindset of the Colts isn't "Hey guys, lets go soft and play flag football". No sir. Their philosophy differs because the playcalling and substitution mechanism isn't geared toward winning as much as it is geared toward player evaluation.

I have no idea where you contrived this idea that the Colts practice at a low tempo? The article wasn't even in reference to practice, it was in reference to preseason game play.

I think you're adding too much to what Spago stated in the OP article. Spago wasn't talking about practicing extra hard, with full on careless contact. His comments were in reference to his 2-4 stringers not letting up in the second half of the pre with a substantial lead. However the comment was more-so referencing the playcalling than the effort of his players. These guys are fighting for their careers, many of which have just begun and could end as suddenly.

The mindset of the Colts isn't "Hey guys, lets go soft and play flag football". No sir. Their philosophy differs because the playcalling and substitution mechanism isn't geared toward winning as much as it is geared toward player evaluation.

I have no idea where you contrived this idea that the Colts practice at a low tempo? The article wasn't even in reference to practice, it was in reference to preseason game play.

Ya i was just adding in my thoughts on the subject of our team.. I just have a hard time seeing how we can be so much worse talent wise in blocking all round when compared with the other teams. We are consistantly one of the worst run offenses and that isn't just because Peyton passes so much, if you watch, the RB almost never has any room to run. There is supposed to be a hole there someplace. Also Special Teams there are a lot of times where there are guys running unblocked right to our returners. It may be more so coaching of the blockers than practice, im just assuming that practice plays a part.

Last time i checked the Rams haven't had a winning season in.....? Really i think we need to win the last preseason game so momentum carries over from that and into the regular season.

You're being sarcastic, right? The starters may not even play one series in that game.

Hey, you facepalmed my boy John Dee. lol.....

Why is it so hard to have a lighthearted conversation?

And BTW...John Dee IS now homeless thanks to your pride obliterating facepalm. If you see a guy downtown with a raggedy Manning jersey holding a sign that says "Will dance for food", its prolly John. Give the guy a sammich.

You are on a heck of a roll today. :applause: I'll make sure to never have food or drink in my mouth when I read your posts.

Also....if there is indeed no "on/off switch", then why was Stephen Jackson switched off? Hmmmmm?

Excellent point.

One thing that i point to where i think we likely dont practice hard enough is with blocking. We often times get stuffed in the run game and i have a hard time believing its a lack of talent compared to the other teams' defense. I think its part coaching and part attitude.. They don't have the toughness and swagger of some of the other successful teams you think of.. Steelers, Packers in last years Super Bowl for an example. We are a very good football team, I just wish we were tougher, bigger and meaner. Oh well, as long as we have Manning under center we will still be OK to be a finnesse team.

This is the reason I don't care for message boards much. I just thank god you're not running the team. (or any of you other armchair GM's for that matter) The sad part is, you honestly think you know more than people who get paid huge amounts of money, and devote their entire lives to football. You're just showing how little you know by posting bull like that. I'm almost ashamed to be a colts fan, being associated with people like this. My football IQ goes down every time I read drivel like this. <sigh>