Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson 2 minute drive and after

twfish

11 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

You would think after almost 2 years working full time on this that this should not be a problem.

It is very obvious what SS needs to do with AR. 

Roll outs.  Hurry up offense.  Lots of motion and options.  He always plays better that way.

Instead SS seems to want to make an AR into a Tom Brady.  It's mind bottling. 

Yeah, I agree with this statement.  Standing tall in the pocket is not a strength of AR right now.  

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

All of this would have been worked out last season but AR got hurt.

OK.  But then how is it the Washington coaching staff figured how to do this with Daniels before he ever played an NFL game?   Daniels has been spectacular playing the way that AR should be playing.  They are not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

The Colts are. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think there is a difference. For example Levis came in playing 5 years of college, I think.  He is still doing the same things at the pro level that he did in college. So one can assume he has hit his ceiling as he has shown no improvement in 2 years. In AR, u r dealing with a super raw talent.  Give him the full year and let's evaluate. If u look at Josh, it wasn't till year three he started to blossom. AR is morxraw thsn Allan. This is going to be painful to watch at times, but I am in it for the year at least. I think if he can string together some games,  U will see growth. If he is in and out of the lineup. He will never progress and most likely regress in his play. His number one thing at this time is not hitting a screen pass. It is finishing a game and playing the next.  

Moosejawcolt, I rarely agree with you, but you hit the nail on the head with this one.  His number one thing, at least for right now, is finishing games.  That means playing smart and protecting yourself.  He's played 3 full games without injury this year.  Let's string together 6 more now, and see if there is some progression.

10 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

OK.  But then how is it the Washington coaching staff figured how to do this with Daniels before he ever played an NFL game?   Daniels has been spectacular playing the way that AR should be playing.  They are not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

The Colts are. 

First two or three games of the season, a very high percentage of Daniels' pass attempts were at or behind the LOS. He had the second lowest average depth of target in the NFL in the first two weeks, at 5.2 yards. Week 6, he was all the way up to 8.5 yards. Progressive gameplans for a young QB.

Richardson has been #1 in average depth of target all season. As of now, he's at 12.4 yards. Second place is Brock Purdy, at 10.2 yards. 

There are some understandable reasons for this, it's not entirely a negative. My point is just that they need to be more deliberate about scheming up some easy throws, especially at the beginning of the game. There's constantly a high degree of difficulty in the passing game, which is the opposite of what should be done with a raw QB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Moosejawcolt, I rarely agree with you, but you hit the nail on the head with this one.  His number one thing, at least for right now, is finishing games.  That means playing smart and protecting yourself.  He's played 3 full games without injury this year.  Let's string together 6 more now, and see if there is some progression.

Lol. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. Thanks.

He really has to learn.  There was a beautiful play where he gets rushed, the defender grabs his facemask, then he scampers left for like 15 yards, well past the first down, and he lowers his shoulder.  Something needs to click with him that his body is more important to protect that running over a smaller guy then he is.  Also, I think many of his injuries have come from smaller DBs.  I was so excited about that play until he lowered his shoulder.  He is not a RB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

First two or three games of the season, a very high percentage of Daniels' pass attempts were at or behind the LOS. He had the second lowest average depth of target in the NFL in the first two weeks, at 5.2 yards. Week 6, he was all the way up to 8.5 yards. Progressive gameplans for a young QB.

Richardson has been #1 in average depth of target all season. As of now, he's at 12.4 yards. Second place is Brock Purdy, at 10.2 yards. 

There are some understandable reasons for this, it's not entirely a negative. My point is just that they need to be more deliberate about scheming up some easy throws, especially at the beginning of the game. There's constantly a high degree of difficulty in the passing game, which is the opposite of what should be done with a raw QB.

Agree and I said in a few previous posts that I put more blame on this on SS and not AR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Daniels had 55 college starts. Much more tape to know what he does well. Aldo don’t underestimate hanging kingsbury as OC is huge. They have been running a college offense.

Agree,  But that doesn't mean you can't teach similar players the same things.

What is harder to learn as a 22 year old?  A quick tempo RPO rollout offense where you use your athletic ability or a drop back in the pocket offense dependent on smarts and experience?

Again, there is a reason why Daniels is doing so well.

55 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

Agree,  But that doesn't mean you can't teach similar players the same things.

What is harder to learn as a 22 year old?  A quick tempo RPO rollout offense where you use your athletic ability or a drop back in the pocket offense dependent on smarts and experience?

Again, there is a reason why Daniels is doing so well.

To be 4-3. after 7 games with all these injuries and a young QB is pretty impressive. We have yet to see this team play its best football. Yes I think we will get better. We might not win in these next five games but but that also doesn’t mean the team hasn’t gotten better. We are just playing really good teams. Steichen should go watch Steelers first 2 drives. That’s how colts offense should look.

On 10/21/2024 at 9:04 AM, coltsblue1844 said:

Josh Allen still looks awful in a lot of games, in my opinion.  One week he will look like an MVP and the next he looks horrible...so to me at least, Allen is also still a work in progress

True......and the closer the bills get to a Super Bowl berth, the worst Allen will play. Especially if facing KC in a playoff game. Lol

On 10/21/2024 at 3:07 PM, jvan1973 said:

Taylor can run outside.    They rarely call those plays though.    Here is one

https://youtu.be/gyQyx3Nrnl0?si=KS-0jZkhT0a043P_

That's a nice off tackle run.  I saw last game against the Dolphins where if Goodson goes off tackle to the right, he woulda had a huge game.  Instead he runs right up the gut into his linemen.....  We need more off tackle runs!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To be 4-3. after 7 games with all these injuries and a young QB is pretty impressive. We have yet to see this team play its best football. Yes I think we will get better. We might not win in these next five games but but that also doesn’t mean the team hasn’t gotten better. We are just playing really good teams. Steichen should go watch Steelers first 2 drives. That’s how colts offense should look.

I agree they have had injuries as do all teams. I think people clinging to this hope that once they get their guys on defense. They will then become this top 15 defense.  This team under Ballard has never been a good defense during his tenure. This team has had basically the same players for the last 3 years under Gus. They have ranked at the bottom of the NFL on almost every category for the last 2 years and the beginning of this year. What is holding the offence back is the qb carousel and that is do to AR's injuries. If and that's a big if,  he can stay healthy.  I believe that the offence will flourish with him under center through the year.  I don't expect anything out of this defense and I think I will be proven right with the teams they will be facing in the next 5-6 weeks.  People get excited when they play teams like the Titans and Dolphins.  They see a glimmer of hope and the coaches give their feedback.  "See what happens when they play within the system and when they play in their gaps"?. I have heard these same comments going back to the Dungy era when they got run over by the Jags for what was it, 375 yards or so? This is not a well coached and/or talented defense. If by some miracle they hold their own against the Bills,  Vikings and Lions. Then I will stand corrected and maybe hey have turned the corner. Like Dungy said "History tells you everything you need to know". I actually think they do match up against the Bills. They  have a small D line and the Colts need to smash it down their throat keeping the D off the field. The other teams will be a struggle to contain, as they are very well balanced. Lions will destroy this team. They have an elite Oline and balanced running and passing attack. They are a  legit Superbowl contender and let us see how the Colts match up.  Hmmmmm...... didnt take them 8 years for a total rebuild!!