Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the Defense Pathetically Bad?

Smonroe

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   

“No one is testing the secondary, they are running ball.”    

That was true the first two weeks, but Williams just threw over 50 passes and the Bears ran about just 20 times.    Did you miss that?   

He's a rookie. Wait till they meet a balanced team with a good qb.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think the run defense will continue to be as bad as it has been. However, I do think the pass D is worse than it has appeared so far. First two games the run defense was so bad that it covered up for the Pass D a lot. I don’t t think the Colts are actually able to stop the pass if they want to. I think they rely purely on the pass rush to get there. 

What you saw from Jones is the high of Bradley’s D. When everything goes according to plan, CBs are supposed to read the QB and make breaks on the ball for either PBUs or INTs. The problem is that rarely happens. The big issue is how horrible they are at defending 3rd down and how many in opputune big plays they give up. They allowed a 100+ yard receiver and 97 yard TE against the Bears.  Thats not going to cut it.

We are 27th in The league for opponent 3rd down conversion at 50%. Awful

31st In the league for rush yards allowed per game. Awful

21st in the league for passing yards per game allowed. Bad

24th for passing TDs allowed. Bad

31st in the league for yards a game with 398!!! Awful

To answer the original question, it is awfully bad. Near the bottom for every major defensive category. Some blame goes to the offense but that wasn’t the issue in the Houston game, so it a moot point.

I saw a glimmer of hope with our defense until I saw the stats after 3 games. Thanks for this post. It's still early and I think a big factor could be crowd noise disrupting Fields.  We fans must out-loud the Pittsburgh faithful that will be there in numbers with their terrible towels.  The 3rd down conversion rate is just stinky hot-dog water. If we allow every 3rd down to be a short 3rd down, they will run over us all day until we shade up the linebackers, then we pay on the soft zone pass coverage.  It's very problematic because Fields can also run and a spy is necessary on many downs.  But the key to this game is hitting short routes with Downs & Co. , hit a long route or two to soften that stout Pittsburgh D up, and taking advantage of their depleted roster.  They are more banged up than we are.

21 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

If i read the box score correctly - Chicago ran 84 plays to the Colts running 54.  Jeez-Louise.

Yep. Colts defense got a goal-line stop, two INTs and a sack FF that put them in at CHI's 15-yard line.

It took all of that for the Colts to win 21-16. Hard to expect 4 TOs per game from more efficient offenses. And that plays ran disparity will really hurt them as we get into the season.