Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking Taylor off the field

DalTXColtsFan

Not trying to over simplify but it is pretty simple. SS calls plays that he believes will work against a certain defense and he has confidence his players will execute that play. The results right now are that his players are NOT capable of executing those plays on a consistent basis enough to win games. The only question moving forward is, do we have good enough players to start to execute more consistently or not and is SS making it as easy as possible for players to be consistent. It's not just a talent thing. It's a attitude and smart thing and then the level of talent. Most of the time, the best players are the smartest players with the right attitude. How talented they are is a bonus. My point, i question our teams attitude and football intelligence as much as I question their talent. Ex.....Stopping the run is as much attitude as it is talent. A big part of why JT is JT, is because of his intellegence.

The problem with this argument is that the defense was actually forcing punts in the second half and we had no business going into to full pass mode to begin with. That's poor coaching and they could NOT stop JT. SS made it easy to defend  us as soon as he pulled JT off the feild and I would argue he put AR at more risk. The fact is that if JT is on the feild, it slows down the pass rush.

58 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

The problem with this argument is that the defense was actually forcing punts in the second half and we had no business going into to full pass mode to begin with. That's poor coaching and they could NOT stop JT. SS made it easy to defend  us as soon as he pulled JT off the feild and I would argue he put AR at more risk. The fact is that if JT is on the feild, it slows down the pass rush.

He is a younger version of Reich...

Both Shane and JT have explained it to us, so for Holder to perpetuate this fan-favorite authority-is-dumb narrative, he has to spin it like JT is lying and playing cover up.  Some really scoopish reporting there Mr. Bernstein and Woodward. 

On 9/19/2024 at 9:27 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We made Taylor the 2nd highest paid RB in the league. He makes defenses think when he's out there. He needs to be in almost every snap in the 4th Qtr, that is common sense unless he gets injured. In the post game, he said nothing was wrong with him, so Shane, explain yourself?

Steve Martin Idk GIF

On 9/19/2024 at 9:27 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We made Taylor the 2nd highest paid RB in the league. He makes defenses think when he's out there. He needs to be in almost every snap in the 4th Qtr, that is common sense unless he gets injured. In the post game, he said nothing was wrong with him, so Shane, explain yourself?

Shane did,  IMO, and I think in most here Shane is just wrong.  

14 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Stupid decision on behalf of the coaching staff when you're playing a rookie QB from behind on the road. Pull JT off to the side after the game and talk to him in private before benching your best offensive player when you're about to be 0-2 on the season.

Maybe he did... 

This is tricky to me. On the one hand, I think JT should have been in the game in the 4th quarter, bottom line. I also think we still had opportunities to run the ball, and Steichen went away from JT in a situation where we probably needed to lean on JT even more. But that's just on the surface.

The other part of the discussion is whether JT was benched for performance (or for any reason, really). And if he was, I don't expect Steichen to come out and say it. (Brian Callahan has been pretty direct in his criticisms of his QB, but I don't know if his players or the fans like it.) But if he felt it necessary to bench a player, then that's his call. In a situation where people seem to be calling for accountability and for players to wake up and step up, if the coaches decide to bench someone, it would be hypocritical for me to take issue with that.

And by my count, JT missed one block and dropped two passes against the Packers, so it's not like there wasn't any reason for the coaches to have an issue with his play. I'm not saying JT should have been benched, but he wasn't perfect. He probably wasn't benched for performance, though. His second drop was on the first drive of the third quarter; he continued getting carries for two more drives, and he caught a pass for 18 yards.

I just wish we had a better answer from the HC/playcaller than 'I wanted to get the other guys in there,' in a game in which he was the best offensive player. IMO, Steichen's answers have not been satisfactory.

• Like 1