Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Davis off the injury list

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'll just say that this is a pretty good post that makes good points if you take time to think about it.  I'm not following the Gay situation so I have no comment on that.  

No, it isn't, and no, it doesn't.. The longer I think about it, the more ridiculous it is.

1. "Davis wants to get paid."
    1. Davis signed a two year contract that's fully guaranteed for 2024. He'll be paid, unless he breaches the terms of that contract.
  2. "He will be sidelined again."
    1. No one can know this, especially someone who has no inside knowledge of the situation.
  3. "HPB is not easily solvable"
    1. Probably the only legitimate phrase in the post. However, no one has claimed that this common and pervasive medical condition -- one that affects 48% of American adults, per the CDC -- is "easily solvable," so it's not really a relevant statement.
  4. "the Dolphins got the best out of Ballard."
    1. How? What do the Dolphins have to do with Ballard signing a free agent, and how do they stand to benefit?
  5. "Colts did not do due diligence in their physical before signing him."
    1. Based on what? How could any of us know this? 
    2. Every NFL free agent completes a physical before their contract is signed. The Colts undoubtedly completed a physical with Davis in March. Davis was a full participant in the team's offseason activities, which include conditioning and on field practice. No issues came up. Apparently, it was only at Davis' physical before training camp that his HPB became an issue.
    3. So what due diligence did the Colts neglect? 
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

No, it isn't, and no, it doesn't.. The longer I think about it, the more ridiculous it is.

1. "Davis wants to get paid."
    1. Davis signed a two year contract that's fully guaranteed for 2024. He'll be paid, unless he breaches the terms of that contract.
  2. "He will be sidelined again."
    1. No one can know this, especially someone who has no inside knowledge of the situation.
  3. "HPB is not easily solvable"
    1. Probably the only legitimate phrase in the post. However, no one has claimed that this common and pervasive medical condition -- one that affects 48% of American adults, per the CDC -- is "easily solvable," so it's not really a relevant statement.
  4. "the Dolphins got the best out of Ballard."
    1. How? What do the Dolphins have to do with Ballard signing a free agent, and how do they stand to benefit?
  5. "Colts did not do due diligence in their physical before signing him."
    1. Based on what? How could any of us know this? 
    2. Every NFL free agent completes a physical before their contract is signed. The Colts undoubtedly completed a physical with Davis in March. Davis was a full participant in the team's offseason activities, which include conditioning and on field practice. No issues came up. Apparently, it was only at Davis' physical before training camp that his HPB became an issue.
    3. So what due diligence did the Colts neglect? 

Why so triggered.  

Wants to get paid means he'll show up when he has too, or its a breach.  I'm not up the Colts so far as to know the wording of a contract of a backup player, but I assume that if he had a pre-existing condition he knew about...and HBP is pretty easy to know about....that not playing because of it would be a breach, but I couldn't say.

I assume other big fat NFL players over the decades have had HBP  and they still trained.  Davis' HBP is so severe it keeps him from training. Or, if not severe and the Colts are being super cautious with any HBP, why didn't their super caution find the HBP before he signed?

I don't know why MIA would have got the best of Ballard....and odd way to say it.  I read it has Ballard maybe not having other teams competing for Davis because, at least one, MIA, probably knew about the HBP, via the same team process that the Colts employ now..

And what is the process?  As far as physicals, I assume that if NFL teams feed their players with 7000 calories a day to get big and fat, they monitor BP has a routine maintenance process.  Kinda like a trucking company checking the oil level on their trucks because they work them hard.  Maybe the NFL is more ruthless than I think.

Why so triggered.  

Wants to get paid means he'll show up when he has too, or its a breach.  I'm not up the Colts so far as to know the wording of a contract of a backup player, but I assume that if he had a pre-existing condition he knew about...and HBP is pretty easy to know about....that not playing because of it would be a breach, but I couldn't say.

I assume other big fat NFL players over the decades have had HBP  and they still trained.  Davis' HBP is so severe it keeps him from training. Or, if not severe and the Colts are being super cautious with any HBP, why didn't their super caution find the HBP before he signed?

I don't know why MIA would have got the best of Ballard....and odd way to say it.  I read it has Ballard maybe not having other teams competing for Davis because, at least one, MIA, probably knew about the HBP, via the same team process that the Colts employ now..

And what is the process?  As far as physicals, I assume that if NFL teams feed their players with 7000 calories a day to get big and fat, they monitor BP has a routine maintenance process.  Kinda like a trucking company checking the oil level on their trucks because they work them hard.  Maybe the NFL is more ruthless than I think.

Big and Fat.  :thmup:

image.png.cec748a1ac2af6553e91dbf638710f88.png

Why so triggered.  

Disagreeing with you and explaining why with facts doesn’t make someone triggered.  It makes it a good post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What makes you say I'm triggered?

Although cordial, a picky bullet point type of response that picks at every minutia literal word of the post is usually a sign of seething at some level.   Making a bigger deal than it deserves.

I don't think its a stretch to assume that this wasn't the first incident of this big-sized human registering a HBP, since its a chronic thing.  Assuming that it was discovered too late to contribute to summer activities, doing so seems a bit lax on the surface.  Its not like the player was purposely hiding a degenerative neck injury or snow boarding accident from the doctors that wouldn't have been caught on routine oil level checks.  

But caring so much that somebody wove in anti-Ballard sentiment to a single post about it, as to have that post generate multiple pounces tends to show how responses cause problems and hardly ever the single post.   

Although cordial, a picky bullet point type of response that picks at every minutia literal word of the post is usually a sign of seething at some level.   Making a bigger deal than it deserves.

I don't think its a stretch to assume that this wasn't the first incident of this big-sized human registering a HBP, since its a chronic thing.  Assuming that it was discovered too late to contribute to summer activities, doing so seems a bit lax on the surface.  Its not like the player was purposely hiding a degenerative neck injury or snow boarding accident from the doctors that wouldn't have been caught on routine oil level checks.  

But caring so much that somebody wove in anti-Ballard sentiment to a single post about it, as to have that post generate multiple pounces tends to show how responses cause problems and hardly ever the single post.   

You've decided to adjudicate whether other posters care too much about a ridiculous post. I've decided to point out the reasons the post is ridiculous in the first place.

You can call me triggered, picky, accuse me of seething, etc. The reality is that the post in question made zero sense, and that's the reason it was met with derision. 

Thanks for noticing the cordiality, though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why so triggered.  

You do realize high blood pressure carries an elevated risk of having a stroke right?

The Colts would be held responsible if they knew he had high blood pressure and had him practice anyways if something like that happened. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

You've decided to adjudicate whether other posters care too much about a ridiculous post. I've decided to point out the reasons the post is ridiculous in the first place.

You can call me triggered, picky, accuse me of seething, etc. The reality is that the post in question made zero sense, and that's the reason it was met with derision. 

Thanks for noticing the cordiality, though.

But it wasn't a ridiculous post as a matter of fact, if you look at the common sense plausible situation that could cause a newly signed vet player to miss important summer camp due to a commonly diagnosed health situation, which is notoriously chronic.  It would seem less plausible that the severe HBP just happened after the contract was signed and is all attributed to bad luck.

If folks want to focus on the anti-Ballardness of the post, and I think there is a patrol squad that seems to focus on that on this forum, the post is more problematic from that perspective, IMO.   

I thought the pouncing on the post was more ridiculous than the post itself.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why so triggered.  

I love reading your posts...very entertaining.....and youre always wrong which is hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But it wasn't a ridiculous post as a matter of fact, if you look at the common sense plausible situation that could cause a newly signed vet player to miss important summer camp due to a commonly diagnosed health situation, which is notoriously chronic.  It would seem less plausible that the severe HBP just happened after the contract was signed and is all attributed to bad luck.

If folks want to focus on the anti-Ballardness of the post, and I think there is a patrol squad that seems to focus on that on this forum, the post is more problematic from that perspective, IMO.   

I thought the pouncing on the post was more ridiculous than the post itself.

I laid out the reasons that I think this angle is silly. I laid them out in response to you, specifically, because I think your tepid defense of this angle is also silly. 

We can set aside the obviously cynical and critical nature of the initial ridiculous post, which was transparently pushing an agenda. (Although, it's obvious that the agenda is the reason for the nonsensical comment about Miami getting the best of Ballard, and the irrelevant -- but conveniently timed -- comment about Matt Gay, facets of this argument that even you don't want to touch.) And still, the post was problematic because it was devoid of critical thought. Which is why I decided to point out the logical deficiencies, one at a time.

Just start with the fact that free agents complete physicals before their contracts are signed. This argument would have us believe that the Colts either neglected to complete a physical with Davis before signing him, or they ignored the results of that physical for four months, only to reactively shut him down before training camp. The other arm of this argument is that Davis is deceitfully playing games with the team -- and with his health -- to get paid. And none of that is reasonable, logical, plausible, or the result of common sense. It's intensely cynical, and there's no supporting evidence. If anyone provides some evidence to support it, I'm happy to revisit the argument.

Until/unless some evidence is offered, treating these accusations with derision is entirely appropriate. There are other possibilities that are reasonable -- maybe Davis has been managing HBP for a while, and his doctors had not yet put him on meds. Maybe they changed his meds over the summer. Maybe he stopped responding to the previous treatment. And maybe this situation is new, and just came up. I would love for someone to ask him those questions, but I'm not holding my breath. But the idea that the Colts knew about it and neglected to respond to it until training camp, that's not reasonable at all. And that's why so many people pounced on the initial post, because it was completely absurd.

What's much more likely and plausible, and where actual common sense would take us, is that Davis and the team learned about his condition, or the seriousness of it, during the pre-camp physical, and then he took the necessary steps to address it. And now, the doctors have cleared him, he's able to practice, and is doing so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Big and Fat.  :thmup:

image.png.cec748a1ac2af6553e91dbf638710f88.png

When the Colts signed Davis there was a picture of him and he looked like a Greek God, carved out of stone.  He was flexing. 

Big?   Yes! 

Fat?    Not even a little.  

• Like 2