Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason Games 2024

@NFLfan and @VikingsFanInChennai - hey guys! McCarthy looking great out there even with the one turnover, awesome with the deep throw! Great drive! :banana:

Also @NFLfan and other moderators, I didn’t see a thread started to discuss non-Colt preseason games, so I started this one. If there is already a thread started please feel free to merge, I don’t want to be redundant lol

Overall it has been nice to see a lot of these QBs feeling out their new teams. :cheer:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

@NFLfan and @VikingsFanInChennai - hey guys! McCarthy looking great out there even with the one turnover, awesome with the deep throw! Great drive! :banana:

Also @NFLfan and other moderators, I didn’t see a thread started to discuss non-Colt preseason games, so I started this one. If there is already a thread started please feel free to merge, I don’t want to be redundant lol

Overall it has been nice to see a lot of these QBs feeling out their new teams. :cheer:

Thank you! It seems like a lot of fans don't like preseason. I do. I have watched several games.

I like to watch the play of the rookie quarterbacks. Jayden Daniels looked good. I heard that Caleb "excelled" in his debut. I thought my rookie QB, McCarthy, has played pretty well. I did not see Drake Maye. I will watch Nix tomorrow.

My QB just threw a 45-yard TD!!! 💥

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you! It seems like a lot of fans don't like preseason. I do. I have watched several games.

I like to watch the play of the rookie quarterbacks. Jayden Daniels looked good. I heard that Caleb "excelled" in his debut. I thought my rookie QB, McCarthy, has played pretty well. I did not see Drake Maye. I will watch Nix tomorrow.

My QB just threw a 45-yard TD!!! 💥

I like to watch preseason as well :)

Also the Vikings fans have really showed up for this first preseason game! :cheer2: Justin Jefferson miked up in the 3rd quarter is awesome, he is hilarious lol

I saw a bit of Drake, I don’t think he did that well :( but I didn’t watch the whole game. Caleb was really good! The Bears have a lot to be excited about. I like watching the rookie QBs as well and also QBs who have been traded. Seeing how they gel with their new team. Any NFL is great to me :excited:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Also the Vikings fans have really showed up for this first preseason game! :cheer2: Justin Jefferson miked up in the 3rd quarter is awesome, he is hilarious lol

I enjoyed that. Jefferson has a lot of enthusiasm. He makes it fun.

6 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

saw a bit of Drake, I don’t think he did that well

I hope he gets better. No one can replicate what Brady did for the Pats.

7 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Any NFL is great to me :excited:

Me too!

• Thanks 1

Lots of contributions from Vikings rookies in this game. We got 4 or 5 sacks from rookies. The rookie kicker hits the game-winning FG. The rookie QB looked pretty good.

A lot of the vets did not play. Hopefully defense plays better than they did in the first half. Minshew threw a couple of TDs against us. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I love that teams are playing their starters. I heard that the Chiefs and Jags also plan to play their starters. Chiefs expect the starters to play a half.

Lol. Mahomes is done for this game. Wentz has replaced him.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Never mind. I see they are playing now against Tampa Bay. Game tied 7-7 late in the first half.

Yep. Burrow led the offense right down the field at the open and scored a TD. Since then it’s been all about Browning and the backups. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. Burrow led the offense right down the field at the open and scored a TD. Since then it’s been all about Browning and the backups. 

Okay. Browning was one of the better backups last year.

Is Flacco the Colts backup QB?

I'm watching Chiefs @ Jags. Chiefs have Wentz, Ian Book and another QB that I am unfamiliar as backup QBs. The Jags backups are  CJ Beatheard and Mack Jones.

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. Browning was one of the better backups last year.

Is Flacco the Colts backup QB?

I'm watching Chiefs @ Jags. Chiefs have Wentz, Ian Book and another QB that I am unfamiliar as backup QBs. The Jags backups are  CJ Beatheard and Mack Jones.

Yep. Baring something crazy, Joe will be our backup. 

I’m not watching the other games at the moment, but I’ve heard that so far Wentz is struggling. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Thank you! I couldn't watch any games but just got to see Vikings game highlights.

McCarthy seemed better than expected but the game turned around after the raiders rested their starters. We will need to see how he does against starters consistently, and how his progress goes throughout the year. TDs were nice, he seemed to move well around the pocket, even during his interception. Hopefully, he can master his mind. 

Minshew TD was beautiful. 

• Like 2

No one here but me watched the Packers game? Well, they won and looked decent. Preseason wins don't matter, but looking decent does. Starters only played one series. Very vanilla offense and defense in the preseason, but a chance to see the team depth. 

NFL Network is replaying the Packers at  Browns from Cleveland at 7 a.m. EST. For those that want to see it. 

The Packers and Denver have joint practices this week, before their preseason game on the 18th. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Thank you! I couldn't watch any games but just got to see Vikings game highlights.

McCarthy seemed better than expected but the game turned around after the raiders rested their starters. We will need to see how he does against starters consistently, and how his progress goes throughout the year. TDs were nice, he seemed to move well around the pocket, even during his interception. Hopefully, he can master his mind. 

Minshew TD was beautiful. 

Yes, we did not play starters. Aaron Jones, Jefferson, Hockenson, and most of our starting defense did not play. Our backups beat their backups.

I care about how they play as opposed to the results. Dallas Turner got a sack and two pressures.The defense in the first half was awful. It improved in the 2nd half.  Bo Richter and Levi Drake Rodriguez got at least 3 sacks between them. I hope they make the team. I want WR Trishton Jackson to make the team. He had several good plays. The OL looked better. The fans on DN are happy with this year's draft and UDFAs.

Did you see that we traded Andrew Booth?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, we did not play starters. Aaron Jones, Jefferson, Hockenson, and most of our starting defense did not play. Our backups beat their backups.

I care about how they play as opposed to the results. Dallas Turner got a sack and two pressures.The defense in the first half was awful. It improved in the 2nd half.  Bo Richter and Levi Drake Rodriguez got at least 3 sacks between them. I hope they make the team. I want WR Trishton Jackson to make the team. He had several good plays. The OL looked better. The fans on DN are happy with this year's draft and UDFAs.

I wanted Dallas Turner, he will be good but I am just as happy with Latu.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I didn't see that, just reading it.. wright has played mostly special teams and has played at least 60% of ST in each of the 3 years. In the middle year, he's played 27% of defensive snaps and has got decent production in that. Maybe, it was tough to get snaps in Cowboys secondary, he may get better... At least better than having Booth and not playing him, so that's a good CB swap for both, I guess..

shall we trade Cine as well, if they're not similarly hesitant to play him? Surely, he'll have a market for similar swap.

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

shall we trade Cine as well, if they're not similarly hesitant to play him? Surely, he'll have a market for similar swap.

Yes, but I don't think he has much value. Cine has done nothing. I think Booth had more value.

Treadwell was signed by the Colts. I don't think he will make the team, but I hope he does. He scored a 4th quarter TD for them. I think it was @Matthew Gilbert who said Treadwell is looking better. @holeymoley99thought Treadwell has a chance to make the practice squad with the Colts. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, but I don't think he has much value. Cine has done nothing. I think Booth had more value.

Treadwell was signed by the Colts. I don't think he will make the team, but I hope he does. He scored a 4th quarter TD for them. I think it was @Matthew Gilbert who said Treadwell is looking better. @holeymoley99thought Treadwell has a chance to make the practice squad with the Colts. 

He's probably a long shot, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he made the practice squad.

• Like 2

The NFC North looks like it will be tough. The Lions and Packers are the class of the division. Caleb Williams looked really good against the Bills. He looks like he belongs.

The Vikes have a hard schedule this year. They play at the Giants in the opener. If they do not win that game, it will be a long year. I will be at that game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai

The guys on PFF's list (above) that impressed me most were Trishton Jackson and Bo Richter. Nailor and JJM played well too. I don't remember seeing much of Gant.

Yes, McCarthy played well, in spite of a bad interception, which I hope he'll learn to be careful where the defensive backs are. Yet, he did well enough after that unbothered so that's a good sign.

I'm glad the rookie defensive late-drafted guys  like Gant, Rodriguez, Richter impressed like last year's UDFA class, let's see if they make enough noise to get a place in the roster and stay in Minnesota this year. Good start overall, unlike last few years when the story of Cousins era is well known and predictable, this year has got unknown chapters to be written and that excites me, especially after seeing McCarthy in action in KOC offense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Trey Lance and Stetson Bennett played the entire game for their respective teams. I don't think I have ever seen that in preseason.

Yeah, good decision on both sides to give them almost all the game (except for first drive or so), Bennett's 4 interception start is bad and Lance didn't impress in 41 attempts!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I have no idea who wrote this but

I thought all of them that I saw looked fairly good. I did not see Maye or Penix.

@2006Coltsbestever  Did you see Penix? I know he was your favorite.

Penix balled out too, he looked pretty good. Was 9-16 for 104 Yards. Didn't have any TD's but no INT's either. JJ did look good :thmup:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The NFC North looks like it will be tough. 

The Vikes have a hard schedule this year. 

Every team in the NFC North has a tough schedule. 

The Colts have the joy of playing the whole NFC North this season.

Let's Go!  Let's get this season started already.

34 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Matt LaFleur says starters won't play against Denver in 2nd preseason game on Sunday.

The Packers have joint practices with Denver later this week. 

Screenshot_20240812-0919152.png.092339b49c375bfa627c25904a121d18.png

I'm not too shocked. He'll learn a lot from the joint practices and let's face it Love is fine and ready to go. 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not too shocked. He'll learn a lot from the joint practices and let's face it Love is fine and ready to go. 

The Broncos already have said Bo Nix is starting against the Packers Sunday.

Shifty Broncos are trying to get wins against my fav AFC team and NFC team in consecutive weeks.

We got sumpin' for 'em.😏

1 minute ago, PackersNation said:

The Broncos already have said Bo Nix is starting against the Packers Sunday.

Shifty Broncos are trying to get wins against my fav AFC team and NFC team in consecutive weeks.

We got sumpin' for 'em.😏

I'm glad to see Bo Nix starting. Get the kid as much reps as possible. Hopefully he takes full advantage of that and gets the nod for the regular season. Will make it much more fun to watch. 

And it should be a good time to see how Green Bay's rotational depth pieces on defense will be. 

1 hour ago, PackersNation said:

Matt LaFleur says starters won't play against Denver in 2nd preseason game on Sunday.

The Packers have joint practices with Denver later this week. 

Screenshot_20240812-0919152.png.092339b49c375bfa627c25904a121d18.png

@ColtStrong2013 was telling us yesterday that when teams have joint practices, they won't play starters in the game that follow those joint practices. Coltstrong2013 seems to be right.

Do you think LaFleur will play the starters in the last game?