Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QBs Making Bank

RollerColt

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Jordan Love signed a 4 year $220 million extension while Tua bagged $212.4 million. That’s the going rate for QBs now folks. 

AR will get $240-250 plus. Smith will have to go, and Q likely.

The draft baby, all about excellence in drafting.

I remember when Love was Ballard’s guy.  Many people thought he was going to draft him. If he succeeded he would have been playing much sooner with the Colts. Looks like he’s on his way.  I wish him well except when he plays the Colts of course.

12 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Jordan Love signed a 4 year $220 million extension while Tua bagged $212.4 million. That’s the going rate for QBs now folks. 

Not sure Love has proven enough, and Green Bay didn't get all the rookie years worth of production as well, but getting a franchise QB is worth paying at this time as long as he proves them right going forward. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Not sure Love has proven enough, and Green Bay didn't get all the rookie years worth of production as well, but getting a franchise QB is worth paying at this time as long as he proves them right going forward. 

I agree. It’s the way the NFL is now though, so expect even more paydays. Mahomes is practically a steal for now. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. It’s the way the NFL is now though, so expect even more paydays. Mahomes is practically a steal for now. 

Every QB is a steal if they can win Super Bowl... Or get closer there or conference championships consistently. All other QBs steal money from the franchise. 

Problem is, because of very few highly performing QBs, any or all average QB gets paid... guys like Kirk can make volumes of production and continue to get paid while inconsistent QBs will not be with that team long enough to see all that pay. 

I think Green Bay may have made an error.   I'm not sold on Love yet.  The Green Bay system may be helping him out though.  I think in Indy he would be a Brissett.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 9:38 AM, RollerColt said:

Last season there was a thread and asked AR5 contract after rookie contract. I guessd way more than others and said $750 million for 10 years. 

That doesn't look far fetched if he plays like some of us expect and hope. 

As for the recent QB contracts. I didn't hear about Tua's deal but that's a lot of money for a guy who's only had limited success so far in his young career.. I know the contracts aren't fully guaranteed but still a lot for him. 

I'm all for players making all they can, its a rough sport and sometimes short career and all sort of health ramifications later in life from playing. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:00 AM, richard pallo said:

I remember when Love was Ballard’s guy.  Many people thought he was going to draft him. If he succeeded he would have been playing much sooner with the Colts. Looks like he’s on his way.  I wish him well except when he plays the Colts of course.

I thought he would fall to 15 and very possibly the colts.draft him......but Ballard traded for Buckner instead. 

I like the way our QB situation is and looking forward to seeing  AR5 this season.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 8:52 AM, throwing BBZ said:

AR will get $240-250 plus. Smith will have to go, and Q likely.

The draft baby, all about excellence in drafting.

If he becomes one of the top QBs in the league, then when it is time to extend him, he will get a lucrative contract.

Let's at least see how this season goes for him, before crowning him a top QB in the league.

This will be J-Love's 5th year in the league. The Packers have been able to see all the talent for several years already. And then when he became the starter after they moved on from Aaron, in huge part because he was more than ready, he now has 20 games and a playoff win already under his belt.

The franchise have seen way more than enough in 4 years, to know he is the guy, and deserving to be paid like their franchise QB, which he has more than proven himself to be.

5 hours ago, PackersNation said:

If he becomes one of the top QBs in the league, then when it is time to extend him, he will get a lucrative contract.

Let's at least see how this season goes for him, before crowning him a top QB in the league.

This will be J-Love's 5th year in the league. The Packers have been able to see all the talent for several years already. And then when he became the starter after they moved on from Aaron, in huge part because he was more than ready, he now has 20 games and a playoff win already under his belt.

The franchise have seen way more than enough in 4 years, to know he is the guy, and deserving to be paid like their franchise QB, which he has more than proven himself to be.

I think Love earned that contract after beating Kansas and then shocking Dallas in the playoffs. He sure as heck has the ability to lead Green Bay to greatness. 

Happy for y’all!

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think Love earned that contract after beating Kansas and then shocking Dallas in the playoffs. He sure as heck has the ability to lead Green Bay to greatness. 

Happy for y’all!

It wasn't just last season. What everyone doesn't understand, not saying you, but people don't realize the Packers knew J-Love was the guy, even when Aaron was still the QB. They had seen enough in practice and running the scout team for 3 years. They knew that J-Love needed to play. So they made the trade and got many quality players from all the draft picks they received. All those players are now impact players. The Packers are the youngest team in the league. The present and future are bright.

I think Richardson could be great, but he has only been there since last year. Hopefully he goes out and has a great season. Except in week 2, that is going to be a blood bath in Lambeau.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PackersNation said:

It wasn't just last season. What everyone doesn't understand, not saying you, but people don't realize the Packers knew J-Love was the guy, even when Aaron was still the QB. They had seen enough in practice and running the scout team for 3 years. They knew that J-Love needed to play. So they made the trade and got many quality players from all the draft picks they received. All those players are now impact players. The Packers are the youngest team in the league. The present and future are bright.

I think Richardson could be great, but he has only been there since last year. Hopefully he goes out and has a great season. Except in week 2, that is going to be a blood bath in Lambeau.😉

Oh I can definitely see that and understand the reasoning for seeing his potential. I think it was important for him to take the next step once Aaron left, and he absolutely did. 

As for Packers vs. Colts? I just hope it’s a fun game with no injuries for either team. If the Colts lose, no shame considering y’all are playoff caliber. 

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

As for Packers vs. Colts? I just hope it’s a fun game with no injuries for either team. If the Colts lose, no shame considering y’all are playoff caliber. 

"Playoff caliber"? You don't consider the Packers Super Bowl contenders? There are 8 true contenders to get a Lombardi this year:

KC

Ravens

Bills

Niners

Packers

Jets

Bengals

Eagles

The Colts are playoff contenders. AFC South is not very strong. Texans were one year wonders. No reason the Colts should not contend to win that division.

10 hours ago, PackersNation said:

"Playoff caliber"? You don't consider the Packers Super Bowl contenders? There are 8 true contenders to get a Lombardi this year:

KC

Ravens

Bills

Niners

Packers

Jets

Bengals

Eagles

The Colts are playoff contenders. AFC South is not very strong. Texans were one year wonders. No reason the Colts should not contend to win that division.

As a playoff caliber team, I do consider the Packers as contenders for the Super Bowl. 

For me, any team that makes it to the playoffs has a chance. All it takes is for the team to get hot at the right time. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Brock Purdy is sending flowers to Jordan Love's house as we speak...

If the Packers rookie kicker had not missed a FG late in the fourth quarter, the Pack beats the 49ers. Outplayed them all game. And the Pack got better. Jeff Hafley new D coordinator, Xavier McKinney, and Josh Jacobs, just a few examples.

Please root for the 49ers and Brock Purdy over the Packers this season. Please!😌

If the Packers rookie kicker had not missed a FG late in the fourth quarter, the Pack beats the 49ers. Outplayed them all game. And the Pack got better. Jeff Hafley new D coordinator, Xavier McKinney, and Josh Jacobs, just a few examples.

Please root for the 49ers and Brock Purdy over the Packers this season. Please!😌

No real rooting interest for me either way. 

My point was just that there should be no debate about Purdy's market value when he's eligible for a new contract after this season. Assuming he continues to produce.

15 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Oh I can definitely see that and understand the reasoning for seeing his potential. I think it was important for him to take the next step once Aaron left, and he absolutely did. 

Jordan Love has a lot to prove, Packers were hot and cold last year, and just got good towards the end of the season. Calling them Super Bowl contenders because of a hot streak in an inconsistent season is laughable, especially when the same poster calls Texans as one year wonder.

I'd have no problem with his assertion if he'd used same measuring stick for Packers and Texans, but alas it was just a fanboy-speak. 

Broadly speaking, every playoff team is Super Bowl contender by definition as in "they have a chance", and I guess that's where you'd want to leave it at that... When I say Super Bowl contender though, I'd mean very few teams that are really capable of defeating any other team and are able to reach the final two stages of playoffs in few recent years and Packers wouldn't be anywhere close, At Least Not Yet. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

No real rooting interest for me either way. 

My point was just that there should be no debate about Purdy's market value when he's eligible for a new contract after this season. Assuming he continues to produce.

Brock Purdy will get a lucrative contract if he continues to play at a high level. Not likely he gets a bag the size of J-Love's, but as the market rises, it's possible. We will see what Dak gets. And if Jerry even decides to pay him.

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Jordan Love has a lot to prove, Packers were hot and cold last year, and just got good towards the end of the season. Calling them Super Bowl contenders because of a hot streak in an inconsistent season is laughable, especially when the same poster calls Texans as one year wonder.

I'd have no problem with his assertion if he'd used same measuring stick for Packers and Texans, but alas it was just a fanboy-speak. 

Broadly speaking, every playoff team is Super Bowl contender by definition as in "they have a chance", and I guess that's where you'd want to leave it at that... When I say Super Bowl contender though, I'd mean very few teams that are really capable of defeating any other team and are able to reach the final two stages of playoffs in few recent years and Packers wouldn't be anywhere close, At Least Not Yet. 

You dream of the Vikings having a QB like J-Love. Good luck with Sam Darnold this season. You want "laughable"? It's Vikings fans obsessed with the Packers. I have dealt with it for 45+ years.

When your precious Vikings win a Super Bowl, come back and we can talk.

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Brock Purdy will get a lucrative contract if he continues to play at a high level. Not likely he gets a bag the size of J-Love's, but as the market rises, it's possible. We will see what Dak gets. And if Jerry even decides to pay him.

Jordan Love and Tua are the exact comps that Purdy's agent would be using if they were working on his contract right now. Small sample size? Just like Jordan Love, and their stats are very similar, except Purdy's production is generally more efficient. Product of the system/coaching? Just like Tua, except the Niners have postseason success with Purdy and the Dolphins have none with Tua.

And the powerball for Purdy is that, unlike Love and Tua, he's a) been to the Super Bowl, and b) he received meaningful MVP consideration. (Tua got one fifth place vote in 2022, for one point; Purdy had 97 points in 2023.)

So if those two guys are getting $53-55m/year, that's the starting point for Purdy's contract. Assuming he continues to produce in 2024.

I don't think Dak is a strong comp, but even if he was, Dak's new contract will be done before Purdy's (March 2025 at the latest, even if the Cowboys don't pay him), and it will probably come in above the current $55m/year benchmark. And that only makes more of a case for Purdy.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Jordan Love and Tua are the exact comps that Purdy's agent would be using if they were working on his contract right now. Small sample size? Just like Jordan Love, and their stats are very similar, except Purdy's production is generally more efficient. Product of the system/coaching? Just like Tua, except the Niners have postseason success with Purdy and the Dolphins have none with Tua.

And the powerball for Purdy is that, unlike Love and Tua, he's a) been to the Super Bowl, and b) he received meaningful MVP consideration. (Tua got one fifth place vote in 2022, for one point; Purdy had 97 points in 2023.)

So if those two guys are getting $53-55m/year, that's the starting point for Purdy's contract. Assuming he continues to produce in 2024.

I don't think Dak is a strong comp, but even if he was, Dak's new contract will be done before Purdy's (March 2025 at the latest, even if the Cowboys don't pay him), and it will probably come in above the current $55m/year benchmark. And that only makes more of a case for Purdy.

Purdy is an average QB. Noodle arm and won't ever rise to a top 5 QB. 

The sky is the limit for J-Love. Much higher ceiling. And if the Packers win the Super Bowl this season, he will be up there with Mahomes as the 2 best QBs in the game. 

Who will be better? Josh Allen? Nope. Lamar Jackson? Nope.

Keep sleeping on the Packers and J-Love. I can't wait for this season. Going to be a blast!

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

Go Colts!

Purdy is an average QB. Noodle arm and won't ever rise to a top 5 QB. 

The sky is the limit for J-Love. Much higher ceiling. And if the Packers win the Super Bowl this season, he will be up there with Mahomes as the 2 best QBs in the game. 

Who will be better? Josh Allen? Nope. Lamar Jackson? Nope.

Keep sleeping on the Packers and J-Love. I can't wait for this season. Going to be a blast!

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

Go Colts!

How exactly am I sleeping on Jordan Love?

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

How exactly am I sleeping on Jordan Love?

Well, perhaps I am reading you propping up Purdy, while implying Jordan Love didn't really deserve the contract he got.

I feel J-Love is far superior to Purdy, and I feel that will become more evident this season to those that feel Purdy and J-Love are on the same level.

Perhaps I am wrong about your feelings on Purdy. If so, I stand corrected.

46 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Well, perhaps I am reading you propping up Purdy, while implying Jordan Love didn't really deserve the contract he got.

I feel J-Love is far superior to Purdy, and I feel that will become more evident this season to those that feel Purdy and J-Love are on the same level.

Perhaps I am wrong about your feelings on Purdy. If so, I stand corrected.

Not sure how you inferred anything negative in my comments about Jordan Love. I have a mostly positive opinion of him.

However, he only has one year of starting experience. And now, he’s tied as the highest paid player in the NFL, which is kind of surprising, and also part of an alarming shift toward paying QBs who don’t really have the body of work to support their contract standing, at least not in comparison with historical QB contracts. Again, not meant as a negative toward Love, but it’s an interesting development.

Regarding Purdy, I think he’s better than you do, but a lot of people are skeptical of him, so that’s not surprising to me. Maybe your negative opinion of Purdy causes you to feel insulted that someone would mention him in the same breath as Jordan Love, but I’m not accepting responsibility for that.

My point is simply that if Purdy produces the way he did last year, he’ll have a greater body of work than Love has right now, along with a SB appearance, and a 4th place finish in MVP voting. That’s just factual, based on the black and white numbers, and it calls for no judgment on anyone’s part. And IMO, that means he’ll have a good enough standing in today’s NFL for him to say ‘my market starts at $55m/year, and here are the comps.’ And those comps will probably be Love and Tua. And he might get even more, depending on how high Dak goes.

I do wonder if you find any irony in assuming that I’m being disrespectful to Jordan Love, while you’ve already catapulted him ahead of Josh Allen (basically a superhero in a football uniform), Lamar Jackson (I’m not even that big of a fan of his QB play but he does have two MVPs, so let’s not be dismissive), and you don’t even mention Burrow (SB appearance, 4th in MVP voting in 2022). Obviously Love is your guy so that explains the bias, but it’s still kind of remarkable to see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Not sure how you inferred anything negative in my comments about Jordan Love. I have a mostly positive opinion of him.

However, he only has one year of starting experience. And now, he’s tied as the highest paid player in the NFL, which is kind of surprising, and also part of an alarming shift toward paying QBs who don’t really have the body of work to support their contract standing, at least not in comparison with historical QB contracts. Again, not meant as a negative toward Love, but it’s an interesting development.

Regarding Purdy, I think he’s better than you do, but a lot of people are skeptical of him, so that’s not surprising to me. Maybe your negative opinion of Purdy causes you to feel insulted that someone would mention him in the same breath as Jordan Love, but I’m not accepting responsibility for that.

My point is simply that if Purdy produces the way he did last year, he’ll have a greater body of work than Love has right now, along with a SB appearance, and a 4th place finish in MVP voting. That’s just factual, based on the black and white numbers, and it calls for no judgment on anyone’s part. And IMO, that means he’ll have a good enough standing in today’s NFL for him to say ‘my market starts at $55m/year, and here are the comps.’ And those comps will probably be Love and Tua. And he might get even more, depending on how high Dak goes.

I do wonder if you find any irony in assuming that I’m being disrespectful to Jordan Love, while you’ve already catapulted him ahead of Josh Allen (basically a superhero in a football uniform), Lamar Jackson (I’m not even that big of a fan of his QB play but he does have two MVPs, so let’s not be dismissive), and you don’t even mention Burrow (SB appearance, 4th in MVP voting in 2022). Obviously Love is your guy so that explains the bias, but it’s still kind of remarkable to see. 

You are entitled to your opinion on any player, as am I. I was saying that if J-Love leads the Packers to a Super Bowl Championship this season, then he puts himself closer to Mahomes than he does to Allen or Jackson. We shall see what happens soon enough.

Perhaps having to deal with a Vikings fan in here had me in a foul mood in my few spare moments on this forum today.😌 One reason I registered here, I thought I would be free from Vikings fans obsessing on the Packers. It just gets old after 45 years of Vikings fans being jealous of the Packers. Glad I found the ignore user feature on this site😏

5 hours ago, PackersNation said:

You are entitled to your opinion on any player, as am I. I was saying that if J-Love leads the Packers to a Super Bowl Championship this season, then he puts himself closer to Mahomes than he does to Allen or Jackson. We shall see what happens soon enough.

Perhaps having to deal with a Vikings fan in here had me in a foul mood in my few spare moments on this forum today.😌 One reason I registered here, I thought I would be free from Vikings fans obsessing on the Packers. It just gets old after 45 years of Vikings fans being jealous of the Packers. Glad I found the ignore user feature on this site😏

I'm glad you're so bullish on your QB. Don't let me stop you.

As for the Vikings fans here, the one that has you in such a foul mood has been a good poster here for four years. We have another who is a moderator. So if a minor interaction with Vikings fans can ruin your day, you might want to prepare yourself for being a member of this board. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm glad you're so bullish on your QB. Don't let me stop you.

As for the Vikings fans here, the one that has you in such a foul mood has been a good poster here for four years. We have another who is a moderator. So if a minor interaction with Vikings fans can ruin your day, you might want to prepare yourself for being a member of this board. 

This site has all sorts of fans and personalities. He will learn in time to try and not let things bother him.  

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This site has all sorts of fans and personalities. He will learn in time to try and not let things bother him.  

I did not say it "bothers" me. I said it perhaps put me in a foul mood with others here. My apology.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PackersNation said:

I did not say it "bothers" me. I said it perhaps put me in a foul mood with others here. My apology.

No Biggy. You will find in time being here a lot, you will read some head scratching posts at times. I have even been annoyed at times with some in here.

Thanks, I know NFL fan forums well, trust me. lol.

Jaire Alexander yesterday saying the Packers will hoist the Lombardi on his birthday, Feb. 9th, failed to post. 

Oh well...

I have Packers vs Ravens in the SB. I do have you guys winning the NFC. Winning the division is key, it will be between Packers and Lions. I was huge on the Lions last year and I was right so maybe I will be right about the Packers. Something tells me the 49ers are going to get upset in the playoffs, just a gut feeling. I don't trust Purdy, he is good but shaky at times. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Packers vs Ravens in the SB. I do have you guys winning the NFC. Winning the division is key, it will be between Packers and Lions. I was huge on the Lions last year and I was right so maybe I will be right about the Packers. Something tells me the 49ers are going to get upset in the playoffs, just a gut feeling. I don't trust Purdy, he is good but shaky at times. 

Yeah, we are not worried about the Lions. The Packers have been their daddy for several decades. Winning the division for the first time in 30+ means nada. 

The Niners are who the Packers have unfinished business with. It's on with them. Get your popcorn ready for Packers and Niners games this season. Regular season and highly likely at some point in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Yeah, we are not worried about the Lions. The Packers have been their daddy for several decades. Winning the division for the first time in 30+ means nada. 

The Niners are who the Packers have unfinished business with. It's on with them. Get your popcorn ready for Packers and Niners games this season. Regular season and highly likely at some point in the playoffs.

I am definitely looking forward to those games. To me there are 4 dangerous teams in the NFC = Packers, Lions, 49ers, and Rams. I liked the Rams because Stafford is still very good, and they have a great coach. I think the Eagles will win the East but see them losing against any of the 4 teams I just mentioned.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am definitely looking forward to those games. To me there are 4 dangerous teams in the NFC = Packers, Lions, 49ers, and Rams. I liked the Rams because Stafford is still very good, and they have a great coach. I think the Eagles will win the East but see them losing against any of the 4 teams I just mentioned.

And you feel the Ravens are the best in the AFC. I tend to agree, but I also like the Colts to get in the playoffs and make some noise. I see zero reason the Colts not winning the South. The Texans are no team to fear. They need about 10 more years of solid seasons before they get a seat at the big boys table. One year wonders, until they prove otherwise. 

I'd worry about the Jags more than the Texans honestly. 

And you feel the Ravens are the best in the AFC. I tend to agree, but I also like the Colts to get in the playoffs and make some noise. I see zero reason the Colts not winning the South. The Texans are no team to fear. They need about 10 more years of solid seasons before they get a seat at the big boys table. One year wonders, until they prove otherwise. 

I'd worry about the Jags more than the Texans honestly. 

Oh, if we go by history, lets say last 20 seasons (2004-2023), teams that sit at the big boy table would have to be the Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Giants, Broncos, Packers, Ravens, and Colts off the top of my head.

Regarding the Jags, it bugs the hell out of me that we never win there! Colts have lost 9 straight games at Jacksonville. Baffling to say the least.

The amount these players (especially top tier players) make saddens me to a great deal. 

you have various healthcare workers, doctors, electricians, nurses, plumbers, contractors, etc etc who don’t make enough close enough to enjoy a high end life…not even a middle of the road life. It’s become almost to the point I’m unsure if I’ll continue to follow football anymore…and it’s the only sport I like.

7 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

The amount these players (especially top tier players) make saddens me to a great deal. 

you have various healthcare workers, doctors, electricians, nurses, plumbers, contractors, etc etc who don’t make enough close enough to enjoy a high end life…not even a middle of the road life. It’s become almost to the point I’m unsure if I’ll continue to follow football anymore…and it’s the only sport I like.

In my area of Indiana (southeast) electricians, plumbers and contractors are some of the wealthiest of our communities. Now they aren't making even remotely close to what NFL players make, but they're able to own land with nice homes and go on vacations often.

But yeah, as a teacher I look at these salaries and realize they all live in a world I can't even comprehend. Weeks like this one my family and I are eating eggs and ramen noodles every other night just so we can make ends meet... 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RollerColt said:

In my area of Indiana (southeast) electricians, plumbers and contractors are some of the wealthiest of our communities. Now they aren't making even remotely close to what NFL players make, but they're able to own land with nice homes and go on vacations often.

But yeah, as a teacher I look at these salaries and realize they all live in a world I can't even comprehend. Weeks like this one my family and I are eating eggs and ramen noodles every other night just so we can make ends meet... 

indeed! I am a general contractor and I call tell you I don’t make bank…but I do work my ***** off. Electricians, plumbers, and HVAC, along with welders can make some absolutely great money if they own a company and grow it to a pretty decent size. But yea…I’m a peasant compared to many, but I’m sure there are plenty who feel like a peasant compared to me…but again I just think it’s absolutely absurd the amount of money athletes (particularly in the NFL, NBA, and MLB) make.  

• Thanks 1