Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for Marston Lattimore

Now that the Saints are open for business would you trade for Lattimore? Say we give a 2nd and a 5th for him, his cap hit for 2024 is only 14.1mil with an out in 2025. You could restructure based on his play and go from there.

This then gives us a solid shut down CB and a solid vet presence.  His cap hits for the next two seasons are 31mil in 2025 and 28mil in 2026. Add a year and you could make the cap hits more favorable if you do restructure.  

What are some thoughts? Are. There other players on the Saints roster you would want?

If you could get a physical that confirms no issues, do it. But he's missed 17 games over the last 2 years, at that salary number you have to be absolutely right. 4x pro bowler could really really be great for the team!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Now that the Saints are open for business would you trade for Lattimore? Say we give a 2nd and a 5th for him, his cap hit for 2024 is only 14.1mil with an out in 2025. You could restructure based on his play and go from there.

This then gives us a solid shut down CB and a solid vet presence.  His cap hits for the next two seasons are 31mil in 2025 and 28mil in 2026. Add a year and you could make the cap hits more favorable if you do restructure.  

What are some thoughts? Are. There other players on the Saints roster you would want?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/4/1/24118330/i-pity-the-fool-mock-draft

Trade

Colts 2nd round (440)

For

Packers pick 58 and 91 (456)

Packers select Zach Frazier C West Virginia 6'2 314lbs

Logic: Packers replace Jon Meyers who gave up 5 sacks and had a pff grade of 55.8

Colts trade pick 58 and Kwity Paye

For

Saints Marshon Lattimore CB 27 years old and a conditional 2025 4th (depending on snaps could be 3rd)

From Over the cap

The team trading for Lattimore would take on his contract as is. They would have the decision to either pick up the option to defer the cap charges or to simply take all of the hit in 2024. Here is the cost on the cap if the team picks up the option in the contract:

Year Salary Cap Charge Dead Money

2024 $15,000,000 $12,000,000

2025 $18,000,000 $0

2026 $18,500,000 $0

2027 (void) $0 $0

Lattimore has no guaranteed money in his contract after 2024 so there is nothing that would lock a team into him beyond this year.

Colts Logic: We wanted some experience in the secondary. We wanted a shutdown corner. So we give the Saints a offer they can not refuse. In the first 2 rounds we address most of our defensive woes.

Saints Logic: Saints are switching to a 4-3 defense this year and just let Michael Thomas walk. They have always been cap wizards but this may be the year to start a new with the changes listed above. Lattimore has only played 17 games these past two seasons and even though he's a top 12 CB when healthy he has been dinged up. Kwity Paye can start at DE until Chase Young is healthy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/4/1/24118330/i-pity-the-fool-mock-draft

Trade

Colts 2nd round (440)

For

Logic: Packers replace Jon Meyers who gave up 5 sacks and had a pff grade of 55.8

For

Saints Marshon Lattimore CB 27 years old and a conditional 2025 4th (depending on snaps could be 3rd)

From Over the cap

The team trading for Lattimore would take on his contract as is. They would have the decision to either pick up the option to defer the cap charges or to simply take all of the hit in 2024. Here is the cost on the cap if the team picks up the option in the contract:

Year Salary Cap Charge Dead Money

2024 $15,000,000 $12,000,000

2025 $18,000,000 $0

2026 $18,500,000 $0

2027 (void) $0 $0

Lattimore has no guaranteed money in his contract after 2024 so there is nothing that would lock a team into him beyond this year.

Colts Logic: We wanted some experience in the secondary. We wanted a shutdown corner. So we give the Saints a offer they can not refuse. In the first 2 rounds we address most of our defensive woes.

Saints Logic: Saints are switching to a 4-3 defense this year and just let Michael Thomas walk. They have always been cap wizards but this may be the year to start a new with the changes listed above. Lattimore has only played 17 games these past two seasons and even though he's a top 12 CB when healthy he has been dinged up. Kwity Paye can start at DE until Chase Young is healthy.

So by the logic used by the writer from Stampede Blue, the Colts are going to trade NOT ONE but TWO 2nd round picks PLUS Kwity Paye for a corner who has missed 17 games the last two seasons and is going to want a new contract with lots of guaranteed money plus he’ll have leverage for the new deal.   And I think Lattimore turns 28 later this season.   

Beyond Silly.   Now we know why Stampede Blue is a fringe website.  Such nonsense.  

NOTE:  Not blaming you Too Proud.  Blaming Stampede Blue.   

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So by the logic used by the writer from Stampede Blue, the Colts are going to trade NOT ONE but TWO 2nd round picks PLUS Kwity Paye for a corner who has missed 17 games the last two seasons and is going to want a new contract with lots of guaranteed money plus he’ll have leverage for the new deal.   And I think Lattimore turns 28 later this season.   

Beyond Silly.   Now we know why Stampede Blue is a fringe website.  Such nonsense.  

NOTE:  Not blaming you Too Proud.  Blaming Stampede Blue.   

I wrote it and its a 2nd and Kwity Paye 

16 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Trade

Colts 2nd round (440)

For

Pick 58 and Kwity Paye 

It's one pick

4 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Pick 58 and Kwity Paye 

It's one pick

You have the Colts trading a 2nd round pick to the Packers.   And then trading the lower 2nd round pick plus Paye to the Saints.    To me, that’s two 2nd round picks. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have the Colts trading a 2nd round pick to the Packers.   And then trading the lower 2nd round pick plus Paye to the Saints.    To me, that’s two 2nd round picks. 

We pick up another pick from the packers....

So we moving down collecting a extra 3rd round...

I used this draft trade chart

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Ind

Showed my work with the draft value points as well as gave a reason why the Packers would trade up....

But your entitled to your opinion... no biggie if you see it as 2 picks we disagree I see it as 1 pick while getting a extra 3rd...

I also don't think he has leverage.... he has no guarantee money after this year. So ball out and regain that value or we can trade him without any deadcap if it doesn't work out 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Showed my work with the draft value points as well as gave a reason why the Packers would trade up....

But your entitled to your opinion... no biggie if you see it as 2 picks we disagree I see it as 1 pick while getting a extra 3rd...

I also don't think he has leverage.... he has no guarantee money after this year. So ball out and regain that value or we can trade him without any deadcap if it doesn't work out 

yeah have to look at is as a whole vs how he’s doing it.

its effectively trading a 2nd and Paye for Lattimore and a third.

Not sure if I’d do that or not.  I still would prefer such a move as as a third for Lattimore.  

then I’d be all about that packers trade of recouping the third with a trade down in the 2nd assuming we went WR with the first pick

15 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

The reason I believe Lattimore would have leverage is that the Colts don’t want to trade for a player who has only one year of guaranteed money.   The Colts would want to sign him long term, and restructure to lower his cap hit.   The Colts aren’t trading all those assets to get the player for one year, they want him for several years.  

Out another year, he can say no thanks to the deal, play with the Saints one more year, then either re-sign with the Saints or become a free agent and go where he wants.  The Colts need ML more than ML needs the Colts.  To me, that gives him leverage.   

By the way, my apology to you.  I wasn’t trying to insult you.  By the way you presented your first post, I took it to imply this was an idea from Stampede.  I wouldn’t have phrased my response quite so sharply had I understood this was your work.   My bad.  I began to think things didn’t add up because I went to the Stampede website and couldn’t find the story.   Again, my apology.