Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Network: Colts considered "winners" in round 2?

Was watching NFL Network post-draft with Charlie Casserly and Tom with their quick summarized thoughts. Charlie could only pick one team (he picked the Eagles), but mentioned several teams were winners. Tom picked the Colts, and with how much Charlie was agreeing with him and how much time they spent discussing the Colts, I assume Charlie liked them too.

Here were their thoughts, as I recall them:

1.) Coby Fleener - TE was a huge need for the Colts, considering they're in Bruce Arians 2-TE system. Furthermore, he has great chemistry with Luck. Brody Eldrige is only a blocking TE, and with Tamme and Clark gone in addition to Luck's comfort level with TE's, the Colts desperately needed help at receiving TE.

2.) Dwayne Allen - Charlie considers him the most complete TE in the draft. He can block, catch, you name it. Phenomenal TE and one of Charlie's favorite players. Is not necessarily a fast guy, but he doesn't have to be.

3.) T.Y. Hilton - They only touched on him for a few seconds, but there's no doubt he's a return maker. Charlie emphasized he is a DYNAMIC return man. He is a deep threat, but Charlie seemed more excited about Hilton's return capabilities.

A good return man isn't worth what it used to be. The majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and the league seems content with having as few kickoff returns as possible for safety reasons.

Hilton has some speed to burn. Hopefully he will end up in a quasi-Desean Jackson role.

I was not aware that Bruce Arians used two TE sets. I thought he used more 3 wide sets. I didn't watch that many Steeler games but that seemed to be the case. I thought that was why the Steelers let him go, they wanted to go back to running the ball first and passing second.

A good return man isn't worth what it used to be. The majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and the league seems content with having as few kickoff returns as possible for safety reasons.

Hilton has some speed to burn. Hopefully he will end up in a quasi-Desean Jackson role.

I was not aware that Bruce Arians used two TE sets. I thought he used more 3 wide sets. I didn't watch that many Steeler games but that seemed to be the case. I thought that was why the Steelers let him go, they wanted to go back to running the ball first and passing second.

There were plenty of kick off returns last year, though that will continue to digress.

Does he return punts? I'm hoping for more of those.