Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the NFL 2024 Off-season signings, trades and other news

w87r

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I expected more from him coming out of college.

We signed a WR that I never heard of before. He played for the Dolphins.

I think he was with Shanahan in 49ers before that, he was a good WR4... competition in camp, and could serve in designed plays and few snaps every game. 

55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

4th round pick. @stitches  You have one less pick for the Bears. Hopefully the Bears trade Fields for picks.

@stitchescould switch team if he desires. And, at this rate, he may not have any picks left to draft anyway :funny:

51 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think he was with Shanahan in 49ers before that, he was a good WR4... competition in camp, and could serve in designed plays and few snaps every game. 

@stitchescould switch team if he desires. And, at this rate, he may not have any picks left to draft anyway :funny:

He has the #1 pick. That is important. Does he draft Williams or Daniels?

I am not familiar with that WR. I read that he was with the Bills and Dolphins. I guess we signed him over KJ Osborn . We lost a lot of free agents this year. Mattison is still out there.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

He has the #1 pick. That is important. Does he draft Williams or Daniels?

I am not familiar with that WR. I read that he was with the Bills and Dolphins. I guess we signed him over KJ Osborn . We lost a lot of free agents this year. Mattison is still out there.

Sherfield, it looks like, he got drafted by Cardinals, then spent a year each in SF, Miami and Buffalo. Osborn may be available for less, may come back? There's a slight chance if other teams aren't high but some other team should pick him up. Mattison, I'm not sure, only if RB Market dries up, Kareem Hunt is still available, I guess, I'd like them to get him if they don't plan to draft one. 

So, regarding Falcons' tampering accusation , the one who got Falcons in trouble was none other than, Kirko "Chains" Cousins, albeit inadvertently.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kirk-cousins-admits-to-direct-communications-with-falcons-during-negotiating-period

He supposedly spoke in his introductory press conference how he was talking with various support staff and PR team of Falcons during legal tampering period, and that is being investigated by NFL now. :facepalm:

If Falcons lose draft pick(s) because of this, it would be so funny dark humor stuff (in a  tragic way for Falcons). 

Kirk has been in his prime form when he kneels during the snap and then tries to outrun the defensive line after the whistle. :lol:

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

No worries... I will see this through despite Ryan Poles' best efforts to deprive me of every pick... :P BTW... it's possible by the end of it I might have just a couple of picks :D 

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Jerry Tillery signed a one-year deal with the Vikes. I liked this guy coming out of college. He did not play well when he got to the pros.

@jvan1973 You are a Notre Dame fan. What happened to Tillery? Do you think he can salvage a decent career?

I haven't really followed him since he came to the NFL

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ridley missed out 2 years of playing time in that duration due to injuries and suspension. Brown missed 1 year of playing time (both cumulative across years).

Ridley had proven to produce at around 15 yards per catch while Brown has consistently around 12 or less. Ridley had Ryan and Lawrence, Brown had Jackson, Murray, Dobbs among any others. One could say QB play was not really great for Brown and Ravens offense wasn't much pass-oriented. Hence, he couldn't get any closer to 1,000 yards for many seasons.

While it's going to be fun watching Brown with Mahomes, Ridley is in bad situation at QB than he's ever been. Ridley gets to have huge pay day to compensate that, though it'll have to be seen if he'll be in Tennessee for all those years. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

You should be awarded a second team just for this Trade haha

Of course! And @stitches is dependable. If he will be unavailable for his draft selection, he will send you a list of players that he would like to draft so that you are not waiting for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Of course! And @stitches is dependable. If he will be unavailable for his draft selection, he will send you a list of players that he would like to draft so that you are not waiting for him.

Yah, usually the draft is happening during my sleep time so I have to send the picks in advance to the commissioner. BTW ... With the first pick in the draft the Chicago Bears select Caleb Williams :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

So Steelers need back-up QB now... Yeah, Pickett should have stayed to see how it goes. 

The Vikes could have traded for Pickett. The Eagles are such a smart team. That was peanuts for a starting QB. NM_Vikes is not happy.

I need to read about that trade with the Texans. What did we give up?

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikes could have traded for Pickett. The Eagles are such a smart team. That was peanuts for a starting QB. NM_Vikes is not happy.

I need to read about that trade with the Texans. What did we give up?

Minnesota acquires 2024 1st round pick (#23) and 2024 7th round pick (#232).

Houston acquires 2024 2nd round pick (#42), 2024 6th round pick (#188) and 2025 2nd round pick

If they draft a very good QB out of this Trade, it will be awesome... And comes out of cheaper trades like this. 

If that QB goes bust, at least we don't lose next year 1st round draft pick, and lose only a 2nd round pick at that point...

Let's see how much more needs to be spent to draft a QB and if they could get to top 5 or top 3... 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Minnesota acquires 2024 1st round pick (#23) and 2024 7th round pick (#232).

Houston acquires 2024 2nd round pick (#42), 2024 6th round pick (#188) and 2025 2nd round pick

If they draft a very good QB out of this Trade, it will be awesome... And comes out of cheaper trades like this. 

If that QB goes bust, at least we don't lose next year 1st round draft pick, and lose only a 2nd round pick at that point...

Let's see how much more needs to be spent to draft a QB and if they could get to top 5 or top 3... 

I was thinking this could allow them to go with BPA with their first 1st rounder then use their 2nd one on a QB. 

If the right person falls they could have the steal of the draft. What do you think @NFLfan

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I was thinking this could allow them to go with BPA with their first 1st rounder then use their 2nd one on a QB. 

If the right person falls they could have the steal of the draft. What do you think @NFLfan

Yeah, if they don't make further trades, and keep both of these 1st round picks, they could let the draft lead them to the players they like. But, I'm not sure if it's the way to go if they really like a top QB that they wanna get. Let's see what they plan to do. 

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

If the Vikes can get Daniels, I would move up. Otherwise, I like your plan. Go BPA (which could be a QB) in both instances. I don't want to reach for a QB or any player. We have needs in too many positions. I would rather take the best players. Some fans like Penix in the middle of round 1, but I worry about his injury history. Many like McCarthy. I think most of our fans like Daniels.

No matter who we get, some of the fan base will have a problem with it. I just want to get good talent. 

What I really want done this off-season is trading Justin Jefferson. He wants more than $30million/year. That is too much for a WR. Let's get more picks. The Bengals trade offer is looking better and better the longer JJ takes to sign an extension. 

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Darren Waller has retired from professional football, injuries finally took a toll on him.

He could've been consistent top 5 TEs during his time if not for constant career threatening injuries. 

You see what I mean. He gets a big free agent contract from the Giants and he retires the year after.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You see what I mean. He gets a big free agent contract from the Giants and he retires the year after.

This is a bad example. 

He Was injured even with Raiders, giving big free agent Contract to an injured player comes with a risk.

Your philosophy of drafting and rewarding only works with Ravens and Steelers because they have a head coach who has been there for 15 years.. or when Belichick and Brady were in Boston for 2 decades. Even then, it doesn't win championship for Ravens or Steelers or Patriots unless they have a QB of Brady's Caliber. 

Andy Reid tried to draft receivers, but that doesn't work out even with Mahomes, so they go for Hollywood Brown on a team friendly deal. They can't just draft and reward those players just because they Drafted, it has to work out. On the defense side, Chiefs have Drafted very well recently, and even then they can't reward and keep all those players once Sneed, McDuffie, Bolton, Jaylen Watson, Joshua Williams or Chammari Conner all get to free agency one by one..

I never said drafting and rewarding is not good, but you just can't either draft very well all the time or reward all the drafted players all the time.. 

It's a juggling act of Good drafting and reasonable free agency acquisition that will help build the team.

You said you like drafting or trading for players, but I don't understand why you see free agency as something bad.

You seem to be misled by looking at Ravens or some other in unique example...

More common and sustainable examples are how Chiefs or 49ers do very well in drafting, free agency, coaching, game planning, acquiring QB. Or how Bucs drafted very well on defense for many years but when Brady was available in free agency, they got him and a SB trophy. 

Colts do well in drafting, coaching on one side is good, defensive side is held stubbornly by Ballard with average coaching, free agent acquisition doesn't complement the roster build, fewer trading for players, they've just got QB who is close to unknown... And the roster isn't robust just relying on draft alone.

I don't understand which team ever had success only by drafting and with very few investment in free agency. Ballard comes close to that, and it has been 8 years and he went astray from his own philosophy on the most important position for many years, because drafting alone is just not possible. 

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Your philosophy of drafting and rewarding only works with Ravens and Steelers because they have a head coach who has been there for 15 years

It was the Ravens and Kansas City that I mentioned. But I like what the Steelers do too.

22 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

You said you like drafting or trading for players, but I don't understand why you see free agency as something bad.

I am just not a fan of free agency unless the team is ready to win now and players acquired are used to complement the team. In my opinion, free agents from other teams do not work as well. JMO.

When I get some time off, I will make a list of high-priced free agents and see how they have worked out. Which free agents that we signed last year worked out well,? Not Davenport. Not Josh Oliver. Not the CB. I can go on. Jordan Hicks worked out but he was not really a high-priced guy. He is a middle-tier guy.

The Rams are the only team that I could remember who built with free agency and won.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It was the Ravens and Kansas City that I mentioned. But I like what the Steelers do too.

Ravens and Steelers involve in free agency too, in fact they go for each other's defensive players and even traded Chris Wormley between each other few years ago. This year, Steelers acquired Patrick Queen in free agency. Steelers previously got Patrick Peterson in free agency and this year released him and traded for Donte Jackson from Carolina. They pretty much exhaust free agency with good targets to fill holes in their drafting. 

I think drafting well is most important, when you do that and even draft a QB, everything will look genius and other free agency involvement will look less but these teams do very reasonable free agency moves because they have solid coaching staff with decades of experience and solid core players or coaching staff that they keep the philosophy same. But in reality, everyone of these teams are very much involved in free agency too. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I am just not a fan of free agency unless the team is ready to win now and players acquired are used to complement the team. In my opinion, free agents from other teams do not work as well. JMO.

When I get some time off, I will make a list of high-priced free agents and see how they have worked out. Which free agents that we signed last year worked out well. Not Davenport. Not Josh Oliver. Not the CB. I can go on. Jordan Hicks worked out but he was not really a high-priced guy. He is a middle-tier guy.

The Rams are the only team that I could remember who built with free agency and won.

Problem is, we can do that evaluation for every draft pick as well, and come to the conclusion that drafting doesn't work well half the time or worse.

I think it has to be juggling act, you need very good GM, HC and QB all together to make it work ultimately. 

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Problem is, we can do that evaluation for every draft pick as well, and come to the conclusion that drafting doesn't work well half the time or worse.

I think it has to be juggling act, you need very good GM, HC and QB all together to make it work ultimately. 

Steelers traded for Fields (just reported). They signed Wilson for just over $1M. Those are smart and cheap acquisitions.

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Draft picks do not cost as much. High-priced free agents do. That is why I was so much against the Cousins signing. He was not only high-priced but had a guaranteed contract.

It is only because of the salary that I want to trade JJ. No one in their right mind would want to lose him. But $35million per year for a WR is ridiculous.

Just now, smittywerb said:

I like it.  Let fields sit behind russel and learn.  

I love it. I wish the Vikes could have traded for him. Other fans would not have liked it. But I like Fields.

@stitches  I think they were desperate to free themselves of Fields. I'm not sure why. They received almost nothing in return. Poles did not draft Fields; so, he did not have any attachment to him.

I wonder what Bears fans think. They liked Fields a lot. I think the Steelers got a steal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@stitches  I think they were desperate to free themselves of Fields. I'm not sure why. They received almost nothing in return. Poles did not draft Fields; so, he did not have any attachment to him.

I wonder what Bears fans think. They liked Fields a lot. I think the Steelers got a steal.

Bears fans are steamed right now that they only got a 6th round pick. I have a close friend that has been a Bears fan since the early 80's. I have to say that was a fleece beating. They should have at least got a 3rd. Bears fans better pray that Williams works out, if not that city will implode. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bears fans are steamed right now that they only got a 6th round pick. I have a close friend that has been a Bears fan since the early 80's. I have to say that was a fleece beating. They should have at least got a 3rd. Bears fans better pray that Williams works out, if not that city will implode. 

I agree. Getting only a third round pick for Fields is absolutely crazy. I would not be happy if I were a Bears fan. As @stitches wrote in the Colts FA thread, teams have traded players with less talent and less potential and received a lot more in return. There was no reason to trade Fields now. There must be more to this.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Getting only a third round pick for Fields is absolutely crazy. I would not be happy if I were a Bears fan. As @stitches wrote in the Colts FA thread, teams have traded players with less talent and less potential and received a lot more in return. There was no reason to trade Fields now. There must be more to this.

6th rounder that can turn into 4th.

Probably could of got a 3rd or 4th comp pick in 26 if they let him stay, but likely would of been an uncomfortable environment.