Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson Let Go By Denver

King Colt

11 hours ago, Myles said:

Yes and No.  It did end as a dumb trade, but he got current market price for a 9 time pro bowl QB with what seemed to be years left.

TBH, I didn’t like the trade.  Too many red flags in Seattle.  His arm was shot.  Pete lost faith in him.  Tried to change it up to fit him and Russel wasn’t with it.  Pete gets Geno the following year and he leads them to the playoffs.

it was a panic move.  Broncos had to get someone after not getting Rodgers.  The Broncos GM should’ve been fired.  That roster is not good.  People give Ballard crap but then I look at teams like Broncos and it makes me appreciate we have him lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

TBH, I didn’t like the trade.  Too many red flags in Seattle.  His arm was shot.  Pete lost faith in him.  Tried to change it up to fit him and Russel wasn’t with it.  Pete gets Geno the following year and he leads them to the playoffs.

it was a panic move.  Broncos had to get someone after not getting Rodgers.  The Broncos GM should’ve been fired.  That roster is not good.  People give Ballard crap but then I look at teams like Broncos and it makes me appreciate we have him lol

Yeah, it is always a case of "could be worse".

Ultimately, it depends on who you compare Ballard to - compare him to John Lynch/Brett Veach/Eric DeCosta/Howie Roseman etc., he probably falls short but you compare him to 70% of the GMs around the league, he is likely better. I would have to think he is a Top 12 GM in the league and that would be a fair statement. I do think the QB position uncertainty and average coaching has made an impact that the Steichen era is bound to turn around with AR, IMO. 🤞

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Yes and No.  It did end as a dumb trade, but he got current market price for a 9 time pro bowl QB with what seemed to be years left.

I'm with you on this, Wilson did okay and got better as season progressed. Their team had lot of injuries and their offense didn't use run game well even with two good RBs. Defense needed improvement.

Tim Patrick, I read, that has around 15 million dead money this year. That for a guy who hasn't been available for 3 years straight. That's a dumb waste of cap and I'm sure their decisions were littered with more bad decisions.

And, Wilson isn't released because of his performance alone. They got a new HC who didn't like him.

And, when Sean Payton goes out, the first round draft picks traded for him would look more Dumber.

Their trade and release for Brock Osweiler was a dumber move, with or without hindsight.

Russell Wilson still has some years left, but the expectations should be minimal and not immediate championship and the team needed to make everything around him much better what they brought last year. They had no clue other than expecting him to run around like Mahomes and get them to playoffs? Wilson stopped doing that years ago. 

Only problem was their expectations Vs reality. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm with you on this, Wilson did okay and got better as season progressed. Their team had lot of injuries and their offense didn't use run game well even with two good RBs. Defense needed improvement.

Tim Patrick, I read, that has around 15 million dead money this year. That for a guy who hasn't been available for 3 years straight. That's a dumb waste of cap and I'm sure their decisions were littered with more bad decisions.

And, Wilson isn't released because of his performance alone. They got a new HC who didn't like him.

And, when Sean Payton goes out, the first round draft picks traded for him would look more Dumber.

Their trade and release for Brock Osweiler was a dumber move, with or without hindsight.

Russell Wilson still has some years left, but the expectations should be minimal and not immediate championship and the team needed to make everything around him much better what they brought last year. They had no clue other than expecting him to run around like Mahomes and get them to playoffs? Wilson stopped doing that years ago. 

Only problem was their expectations Vs reality. 

Osweiler was drafted by the Broncos.  The Texans signed him to 4 years 72 million. 

Read the Broncos tried to strongarm him into renegotiating some injury clauses in his contract during the week 9 bye last year. Things went south from there. Maybe Peyton will distance himself from Broncos org after this?