Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts looking for new DL Coach w Nate Ollie Out?

TomDiggs

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not pretending to know whether an assistant DB coach was qualified for the job, what his role was, whether he was good at it, etc. He actually played for the Colts in 2018, his final year as a player. So Ballard would have been familiar with him, and maybe they had been talking about a coaching position whenever he was ready. I don't have a problem with any of that, especially since he was an assistant position coach.

But I think what he said on Twitter after the hit on Pittman was disqualifying.

I realize that but Mitchell was known for being a bit of a dirty player himself.  I didn’t love what he said on twitter but I didn’t think that was the determining factor.  I guess it could have been.  

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Nevermind found it. 

pretty sure this forum said he wouldn’t be here in 2024 after this…

it’s ironic, because that’s indeed what his safeties did this year

Ballard was genuinely unhappy with the safety play. He said so in his press conference.   I’m sure Gus and Steichen felt the same way.  Play on the field weighs more than Mitchell’s comment. 

• Like 2

No source for this.  Just my own musings.

DL coach Nate Ollie's release coinciding with Jim Harbaugh's hiring by the Chargers could result in freeing up OLB coach and interim head coach Giff Smith.  Giff was Gus Bradley's DL coach on the 2017 Chargers when they where 3rd in the league in scoring defense, and both Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram had double-digits in sacks.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Going to be interesting with Fangio now available. We have many of the pieces for a Fangio Defense… does his availability move the needle on Gus staying?

I find this funny because Fangio is the guy who got Mora fired here.

As for your question I think the Colts have made it pretty clear Gus is coming back even if it’s not what most Colts fans want to hear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

I realize that but Mitchell was known for being a bit of a dirty player himself.  I didn’t love what he said on twitter but I didn’t think that was the determining factor.  I guess it could have been.  

I don't know if it was the determining factor. But it definitely affected my opinion of him.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

No source for this.  Just my own musings.

DL coach Nate Ollie's release coinciding with Jim Harbaugh's hiring by the Chargers could result in freeing up OLB coach and interim head coach Giff Smith.  Giff was Gus Bradley's DL coach on the 2017 Chargers when they where 3rd in the league in scoring defense, and both Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram had double-digits in sacks.

Can he bring Joey with him? 

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I find this funny because Fangio is the guy who got Mora fired here.

As for your question I think the Colts have made it pretty clear Gus is coming back even if it’s not what most Colts fans want to hear.

Haha I forgot about the Mora thing. You’re right there