Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out RB James Robinson

1959Colts

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/9/4/23859073/report-colts-worked-out-former-jaguars-rb-james-robinson-on-monday

...Robinson tore his Achilles during Week 16 of the 2021 season, the same injury suffered by former Colts 1,000+ yard rusher Marlon Mack, and really hasn’t been as productive ever since—having spent time with the New York Jets (*where he was traded), New England Patriots, and New York Giants organizations.

If signed, Robinson brings a hard nosed running style and would presumably fill the ‘between the tackles’/short yardage skill-set that is currently missing in Zack Moss’s absence. Moss (elbow) is expected to be medically cleared in the next week or two, with maybe an outside chance for the opener (*as working out Robinson here likely means that Moss may be at least another week away, but he is apparently ‘progressing well’)...

Wouldn't mind having him, he has been a pretty solid player. He may not have been as productive, but I don't necessarily think that was all due to his ability diminishing. In 2021 they had Urban Meyer who confusingly kept him on the bench a lot for backups that clearly weren't as good despite averaging 4.7 ypc. Had 4.2 ypc in 2022 while with the Jags, then didn't have great stats in the few (29) carries he had once traded to the Jets.

9 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Wouldn't mind having him, he has been a pretty solid player. He may not have been as productive, but I don't necessarily think that was all due to his ability diminishing. In 2021 they had Urban Meyer who confusingly kept him on the bench a lot for backups that clearly weren't as good despite averaging 4.7 ypc. Had 4.2 ypc in 2022 while with the Jags, then didn't have great stats in the few (29) carries he had once traded to the Jets.

JRob was a very solid player at one time for the Jags. A couple of badly timed fumbles and our * coach benched him.  His days were numbered though, even without the eventual injury, because of Etienne. He was a very classy guy and a fan favorite in Jax.

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Personally, if Moss can't go week 1... I'd just as well have them call up Jake Funk for depth and STs. Funk knows the playbook, and could be used in short yardage

I agree.   Really think you might as well give the guys in house a chance since this probably won't be a great year anyway.

3 hours ago, jaxjag said:

JRob was a very solid player at one time for the Jags. A couple of badly timed fumbles and our * coach benched him.  His days were numbered though, even without the eventual injury, because of Etienne. He was a very classy guy and a fan favorite in Jax.

Who was a classy guy?  Your ex coach? Hehe 

7 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Curious as to why the Colts would want to "kick the tires" on RB James Robinson since he has be jettisoned by several other NFL teams.

Makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

The front office doing their due diligence preparing for a long season makes NO sense to you whatsoever? 

Can't argue with that I guess.

5 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Curious as to why the Colts would want to "kick the tires" on RB James Robinson since he has be jettisoned by several other NFL teams.

Makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

It never hurts to check out a veteran.  To the best of my knowledge, Robinson hasn’t been signed.   All they’re doing is kicking the tires.   Nothing more.  You want to do your own research and not rely on the view of other teams. 

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It never hurts to check out a veteran.  To the best of my knowledge, Robinson hasn’t been signed.   All they’re doing is kicking the tires.   Nothing more.  You want to do your own research and not rely on the view of other teams. 

Excellent points.

23 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

The front office doing their due diligence preparing for a long season makes NO sense to you whatsoever? 

Can't argue with that I guess.

I most assuredly want the team to do their due-diligence.

However - this particular player hasn't played in a while and has been bounced from a few different teams.

Archived