Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL “Sunday Ticket” awarded to YouTube TV

Happy2BeHere

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35304457/nfl-sunday-ticket-headed-youtube-2023-season?platform=amp

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-tv-youtube-primetime-channels

I’ve hated DirecTV for years. Still subscribed as a “student” so it was cheap relatively speaking since I didn’t have to have their tv service. 

I’m curious what price they will end up charging and how much different it will be from what DirecTV currently does. I was really hoping Apple would have won the contract because ultimately I think they would have done the best job with the package and presentation but at the end of the day I think Apple really pulled out because they weren’t willing to pony up the money that Google was. 

Google paying around $2 billion per year for 7 years. DirecTV was paying roughly around $1.5 billion per year and they said they were losing about $500 million per year on it. That doesn’t surprise me because many people just aren’t willing to pay the ridiculous $300-$400 per year fee for it. My student package was about $100 per year streaming only which was great in most aspects. I also paid for nfl rewind and this year nfl+ because they offered it as part of the student package at half price which was around another $50 or so.

This will either end up being really bad or really good, no in between IMO. 

Also kind of surprised Amazon didn’t get the deal since they had Thursday night football and they do all the AWS stats and such. I think Amazon would have been better than YouTube.

Whats all your thoughts ?

14 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35304457/nfl-sunday-ticket-headed-youtube-2023-season?platform=amp

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-tv-youtube-primetime-channels

I’ve hated DirecTV for years. Still subscribed as a “student” so it was cheap relatively speaking since I didn’t have to have their tv service. 

I’m curious what price they will end up charging and how much different it will be from what DirecTV currently does. I was really hoping Apple would have won the contract because ultimately I think they would have done the best job with the package and presentation but at the end of the day I think Apple really pulled out because they weren’t willing to pony up the money that Google was. 

Google paying around $2 billion per year for 7 years. DirecTV was paying roughly around $1.5 billion per year and they said they were losing about $500 million per year on it. That doesn’t surprise me because many people just aren’t willing to pay the ridiculous $300-$400 per year fee for it. My student package was about $100 per year streaming only which was great in most aspects. I also paid for nfl rewind and this year nfl+ because they offered it as part of the student package at half price which was around another $50 or so.

This will either end up being really bad or really good, no in between IMO. 

Also kind of surprised Amazon didn’t get the deal since they had Thursday night football and they do all the AWS stats and such. I think Amazon would have been better than YouTube.

Whats all your thoughts ?

I have it as a student through my son. I hope they either have the same deal or better yet that you can buy one team season or individual games 

Isn’t Amazon getting trashed for their TNF broadcasts?  Not sure why anyone would want a full slate of games carried by them if they can’t do one broadcast a week correctly?

I’m interested to see how YouTube TV handles this.  I have no idea, but I think DirectTV was using Sunday Ticket to survive?  I’m hoping YouTube TV won’t have to charge as much as DirectTV did.  I may also be living in fantasyland, but…

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Isn’t Amazon getting trashed for their TNF broadcasts?  Not sure why anyone would want a full slate of games carried by them if they can’t do one broadcast a week correctly?

I’m interested to see how YouTube TV handles this.  I have no idea, but I think DirectTV was using Sunday Ticket to survive?  I’m hoping YouTube TV won’t have to charge as much as DirectTV did.  I may also be living in fantasyland, but…

From what I understand YouTube is one of the best steaming services out there when it comes to steaming quality. A lot of people use YouTube tv as their cable service. Steaming services are close to being the norm as people’s cable. Frontier isn’t even doing new customers for cable anymore.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Eventually all the main sporting events will be pay per view.  

I don’t think the nfl can go entirely to pay per view.  It would hurt their viewership because there are people who just can’t afford it. I don’t mind them charging for out  of market games as a subscription service though.

I used to be able to watch my in market games on my mobile device. Now I have to pay the 4.99 for nfl plus to watch market games on my phone. I think that is pretty dumb. I watch games on my phone all the time from the NFL APP. I do like that nfl plus offers the nfl network games on your mobile divice because I always had to make up free trials.

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think the nfl can go entirely to pay per view.  It would hurt their viewership because there are people who just can’t afford it. I don’t mind them charging for out  of market games as a subscription service though.

I used to be able to watch my in market games on my mobile device. Now I have to pay the 4.99 for nfl plus to watch market games on my phone. I think that is pretty dumb. I watch games on my phone all the time from the NFL APP. I do like that nfl plus offers the nfl network games on your mobile divice because I always had to make up free trials.

Yeah maybe but right now there are very few non local games being aired. Any games on ESPN, NFL network or Amazon I don't get. Now YouTube will be another game I won't get. 

If it's not on ABC, Fox or NBC I don't get to watch. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah maybe but right now there are very few non local games being aired. Any games on ESPN, NFL network or Amazon I don't get. Now YouTube will be another game I won't get. 

Not sure I understand what you mean. Nothing really changes except now instead of out of network games being on direct tv with Sunday ticket they are now going to be on YouTube tv. If you didn’t have nfl Sunday ticket anyway nothing changes. A lot of people will probably cancel direct tv now and just go with YouTube tv as their cable service.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure I understand what you mean. Nothing really changes except now instead of out of network games being on direct tv with Sunday ticket they are now going to be on YouTube tv. If you didn’t have nfl Sunday ticket anyway nothing changes. A lot of people will probably cancel direct tv now and just go with YouTube tv as their cable service.

I, along with a huge amount of people live on a fixed income and can't afford any pay services. I am lucky to afford WIFI service. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just use an antenna with my Smart TV to get NFL on CBS, FOX and NBC live free. I have Amazon Prime for Amazon shipping, so TNF is covered.

ESPN+ does not televise NFL games on ESPN but MNF is on NFL+, but only on tablets and phones for $5.99 a month. Once Disney separates ESPN and ABC, Disney and ESPN streaming won’t be combined anymore. NFL+ is a sub-par product right now, IMO.

On 12/25/2022 at 3:52 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I, along with a huge amount of people live on a fixed income and can't afford any pay services. I am lucky to afford WIFI service. 

Well I am in the same boat but nothing will change how it is now. Your not missing  anything you already couldn’t watch. Sunday ticket is just changing providers.

8 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

It would be nice if they would just charge a flat fee for one team if that’s all you want to do. Maybe $59 a year for the team of your choice or like $199 if you want every team. That would be my wish. 

Same

Archived