Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you could.....

ChuggaBeer

On 12/14/2022 at 12:16 AM, EastStreet said:

We're 15th in sacks (only 2 sacks from top 10, and 7 from top 5), and without Paye half the time.

That's up from 25th last year. That's pretty good. Not far from top 10 or even top 5. 

Add in a healthy Paye all year, and we'd be top 10. 

What is good enough? Top 10 / great? or do we need to be elite (top 5)? Honest question. 

Yannick prediction is subjective. He's been unable to land a big $ / long term deal so far. He has a hole in his game (run D). 

So sure, he'll want the best deal. But doubt that anyone gives him top 10 money. At least he knows Gus likes him.

IMO, we'd be better decreasing his snap % but 10% (less run down snaps).

I think the D is going to really suffer next year if Gilmore isn't resigned, and I would think the dude would want to finish his career with legit contender.   Gilmore allows the D to do things with press coverage and good press bail technique that a guy not as talented as him would get us burned.

So I think a pass rush on par with what we have this year is going to be inadequate for a team next year without a Gilmore on the outside.  I still think the D is lacking a consistent EDGE player that will be necessary to have an great/elite type of unit going forward. 

So to answer the question on the OP I think I'd go Bosa or a healthy Watt on D.

I think we are more in need of a legit LT than a WR, even though I don't think our WR unit has a great player on it that most teams need.  Raimann looks OK, good in run blocking, and not quite bad in pass blocking.

I said in another post that he could probably be a good RT already with the run blocking.  

So I'd go LT Trent Williams on offense.  Put him out there at LT, move Raimann to RT, slide Smith to RG, put Pinter at center, and we would transform from a bad OLINE to possibly the best.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think the D is going to really suffer next year if Gilmore isn't resigned, and I would think the dude would want to finish his career with legit contender.   Gilmore allows the D to do things with press coverage and good press bail technique that a guy not as talented as him would get us burned.

So I think a pass rush on par with what we have this year is going to be inadequate for a team next year without a Gilmore on the outside.  I still think the D is lacking a consistent EDGE player that will be necessary to have an great/elite type of unit going forward. 

So to answer the question on the OP I think I'd go Bosa or a healthy Watt on D.

I think we are more in need of a legit LT than a WR, even though I don't think our WR unit has a great player on it that most teams need.  Raimann looks OK, good in run blocking, and not quite bad in pass blocking.

I said in another post that he could probably be a good RT already with the run blocking.  

So I'd go LT Trent Williams on offense.  Put him out there at LT, move Raimann to RT, slide Smith to RG, put Pinter at center, and we would transform from a bad OLINE to possibly the best.

Gilmore is under contract through 2023. 

IMO... our steps for 2023...

• Draft
    1. draft a QB with our first pick. Nobody will trade for MRyan, so likely waive, or renegotiate (lower, and he stays to help with rook)
    2. draft a LEO/RDE type with our 2nd pick. Good draft for DE this year. 
    3. draft a CB or NB with our 3rd pick. Good year for CBs too
    4. draft a LB with our 4th. And resign Speed... 
  • FA/Existing
    1. LEO/RDE - Resign Ngakoue (if not high) for short term deal, or consider adding Justin Houston again (will be a FA, was cheap in 22, and one of the most efficient this year). Regardless, Look for a vet LEO/DE to rotate with rook. Resign Ifeadi. 
    2. LT - doubt they'll move to BR to RT, or move Smith to RG. So either they'll roll with BR at LT, assuming development, and/or add a short term vet to help depth, or start if BR doesn't add weight and strength. 
    3. RG - add a mid price vet. 
    4. C - trade RKelly, and add a mid price vet, and let them compete with Pinter. 
    5. WR - resign PC at a fair (not high) contract with incentives. If he asks for too much, find a FA that can float from Z to slot. 
    6. CB - trade Moore. Let Rodgers float (like Moore does) float between NB to outside CB. Resign Facyson or similar FA. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Gilmore is under contract through 2023. 

IMO... our steps for 2023...

• Draft
    1. draft a QB with our first pick. Nobody will trade for MRyan, so likely waive, or renegotiate (lower, and he stays to help with rook)
    2. draft a LEO/RDE type with our 2nd pick. Good draft for DE this year. 
    3. draft a CB or NB with our 3rd pick. Good year for CBs too
    4. draft a LB with our 4th. And resign Speed... 
  • FA/Existing
    1. LEO/RDE - Resign Ngakoue (if not high) for short term deal, or consider adding Justin Houston again (will be a FA, was cheap in 22, and one of the most efficient this year). Regardless, Look for a vet LEO/DE to rotate with rook. Resign Ifeadi. 
    2. LT - doubt they'll move to BR to RT, or move Smith to RG. So either they'll roll with BR at LT, assuming development, and/or add a short term vet to help depth, or start if BR doesn't add weight and strength. 
    3. RG - add a mid price vet. 
    4. C - trade RKelly, and add a mid price vet, and let them compete with Pinter. 
    5. WR - resign PC at a fair (not high) contract with incentives. If he asks for too much, find a FA that can float from Z to slot. 
    6. CB - trade Moore. Let Rodgers float (like Moore does) float between NB to outside CB. Resign Facyson or similar FA. 

Wow.  I thought Gilmore was a one year.  He's a guy that might be someone we can get a good draft pick or two for a contending type team.  If they wanted to go that route. 

I think the QB draft will depend on where we end up in the draft order.  We mess around and win a couple games, we probably won't be getting a QB they feel strongly about drafting in round 1. 

I think they'd consider moving the line.  Now the OP was about a fake world who we'd take.  IF we suddenly had Trent Williams drop from the heavens like manna, I'd bet they'd move around.  They already moved Smith down once this season.  I just think Raimann looks like a RT.  Already really good at RB, and likely adequate at RT pass pro. 

Do you know if there is a real blue chip type of LT that is thought to be close to a sure thing?  If so, I would go that direction if I didn't see a QB I wanted when the dust settles.   I really think offensively, the line has to be fixed or there is nothing else that will matter much. 

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Wow.  I thought Gilmore was a one year.  He's a guy that might be someone we can get a good draft pick or two for a contending type team.  If they wanted to go that route. 

I think the QB draft will depend on where we end up in the draft order.  We mess around and win a couple games, we probably won't be getting a QB they feel strongly about drafting in round 1. 

I think they'd consider moving the line.  Now the OP was about a fake world who we'd take.  IF we suddenly had Trent Williams drop from the heavens like manna, I'd bet they'd move around.  They already moved Smith down once this season.  I just think Raimann looks like a RT.  Already really good at RB, and likely adequate at RT pass pro. 

Do you know if there is a real blue chip type of LT that is thought to be close to a sure thing?  If so, I would go that direction if I didn't see a QB I wanted when the dust settles.   I really think offensively, the line has to be fixed or there is nothing else that will matter much. 

Personally, I'd extend Gilmore a year or two if he is reasonable. 

On QB, I think we will go after one, regardless of additional wins (draft order). There are several options, even if mid round. And wouldn't be surprised if we moved up a bit. 

Not a great year for LTs IMO. I've listed guys on the 2023 Needs thread.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Personally, I'd extend Gilmore a year or two if he is reasonable. 

On QB, I think we will go after one, regardless of additional wins (draft order). There are several options, even if mid round. And wouldn't be surprised if we moved up a bit. 

Not a great year for LTs IMO. I've listed guys on the 2023 Needs thread.

Yeah I don't watch much college ball.  #6 LT if I thought he was good, I'd be awfully tempted to take if I were the Colts brass.  Looks like there are a couple EDGE guys who are thought to be top 5ish too.

How deep down the QB line would you be willing to use for the 1st pick, probaby 4th to 10th or so?  Assuming Stroud, Levis, and Young are gone, are you picking one of the other guys with that pick?

The Hooker thing is intriguing to me if he makes it to round 2.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Yeah I don't watch much college ball.  #6 LT if I thought he was good, I'd be awfully tempted to take if I were the Colts brass.  Looks like there are a couple EDGE guys who are thought to be top 5ish too.

How deep down the QB line would you be willing to use for the 1st pick, probaby 4th to 10th or so?  Assuming Stroud, Levis, and Young are gone, are you picking one of the other guys with that pick?

The Hooker thing is intriguing to me if he makes it to round 2.  

QB mocks are all over the place right now. Haven't looked this week, but will tonight or this weekend. Last I looked, Stroud was anywhere from #1 to mid round. Young is mostly top 5. Richardson has been all over the place, from top 10, to early 2nd. My favorite is Stroud. I'd take Richardson or Hooker and wouldn't complain. Overall, I'm tired of retreads lol.. And guess Irsay/Ballard are tired too. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

QB mocks are all over the place right now. Haven't looked this week, but will tonight or this weekend. Last I looked, Stroud was anywhere from #1 to mid round. Young is mostly top 5. Richardson has been all over the place, from top 10, to early 2nd. My favorite is Stroud. I'd take Richardson or Hooker and wouldn't complain. Overall, I'm tired of retreads lol.. And guess Irsay/Ballard are tired too. 

I'm pretty confident they want a QB, but I doubt they take one they don't really like just to take one.  Now if we keep losing lol, we could get even a 3rd pick.  It will be interesting to see it play out. 

The thing about Jim East, is he seems to have that post Curtis Painter never again mentality and it seems to me that is part of what is going on now.   I don't recall seeing your feelings on this, but playing Matt Ryan right now just seems asinine.  I mean his play itself warrants a permanent benching.  Unless they really think he's their best chance to lose and despite posturing they really are trying to get the best draft pick which I don't think is likely.  

And then unless they are considering him for next season.  If that's the case, I would expect the club to lose the fan base big time.  And despite what a lot of posters here think, fans not showing up does have a big influence on organizations, and I think Jim in particular would be susceptible to that kind of pressure.  Jim seems to really want people to like him.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Posted 1 hour ago

On 12/14/2022 at 1:16 AM, EastStreet said:

We're 15th in sacks (only 2 sacks from top 10, and 7 from top 5), and without Paye half the time.

That's up from 25th last year. That's pretty good. Not far from top 10 or even top 5. 

What is good enough? Top 10 / great? or do we need to be elite (top 5)? Honest question. 

Yannick prediction is subjective. He's been unable to land a big $ / long term deal so far. He has a hole in his game (run D). 

So sure, he'll want the best deal. But doubt that anyone gives him top 10 money. At least he knows Gus likes him.

Spotrac or Over the Cap is where informed posters go to bone up so their posts reflect logic. 

So when you get informed that the gifted Gilmore was indeed wisely signed for 2 seasons at an Extremely reasonable price, Trading him sounds interesting to you.

Or this?  Strange.

"I think the D is going to really suffer next year if Gilmore isn't resigned, and I would think the dude would want to finish his career with legit contender.   Gilmore allows the D to do things with press coverage and good press bail technique that a guy not as talented as him would get us burned."

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Posted 1 hour ago

Spotrac or Over the Cap is where informed posters go to bone up so their posts reflect logic. 

So when you get informed that the gifted Gilmore was indeed wisely signed for 2 seasons at an Extremely reasonable price, Trading him sounds interesting to you.

Or this?  Strange.

"I think the D is going to really suffer next year if Gilmore isn't resigned, and I would think the dude would want to finish his career with legit contender.   Gilmore allows the D to do things with press coverage and good press bail technique that a guy not as talented as him would get us burned."

Huh?

What are you babbling about?

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Posted 1 hour ago

Or this?  Strange.

I think I deciphered that mess.  

The OP is who we think we'd take next year.  I say EDGE.  

Yes i thought Gilmore is signed through next year and to be a real great D I think we need a star pass rusher.   I think Gilmore allows us to do things we wouldn't be able to do with the rush.  

Now no one thinks we will be good next year, or hardly anyone, and so I'd think he'd be gone after next year anyway if he maintains his health.  And he is exactly in a position and at a level of play that can bring back something good from a contender to a rebuilding team.

And we are at some level anyway a rebuilding team.

Bebes.  why are you so into me dude?  it's a little cringy.

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

I'm pretty confident they want a QB, but I doubt they take one they don't really like just to take one.  Now if we keep losing lol, we could get even a 3rd pick.  It will be interesting to see it play out. 

The thing about Jim East, is he seems to have that post Curtis Painter never again mentality and it seems to me that is part of what is going on now.   I don't recall seeing your feelings on this, but playing Matt Ryan right now just seems asinine.  I mean his play itself warrants a permanent benching.  Unless they really think he's their best chance to lose and despite posturing they really are trying to get the best draft pick which I don't think is likely.  

And then unless they are considering him for next season.  If that's the case, I would expect the club to lose the fan base big time.  And despite what a lot of posters here think, fans not showing up does have a big influence on organizations, and I think Jim in particular would be susceptible to that kind of pressure.  Jim seems to really want people to like him.

I'm fine with Ryan starting. He's likely the best option to develop other players. He's had good games, and horrible games. It's not only horrible. He knows the offense better than the other two, and has the best chemistry with WRs and TEs. IMO, just no need to insert Sam, who looked bad too, or Foles, who was 3rd or 4th depth in Chicago. The only benefit to bench Ryan is to assure his health (for the contract implications). We already know what we have with Sam and Nick.. 

In terms of the QB draft... there are just several with high ceilings. Only a couple that were consistent, but those were surrounded with 5 star talents. The others that showed inconsistencies, had meh talent around them. So all are risky, but several with good ceilings. We just can't expect day one stud. We'll need have patience. 

Archived