Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions Trade TJ Hockenson to Vikings

OffensivelyPC

The Detroit Lions are trading tight end T.J. Hockenson, a 2023 fourth-round pick and a conditional 2024 fourth-round pick to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for a 2023 second-round pick and a 2024 third-round pick

Vikings got a decent deal for a former first rounder.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Detroit Lions are trading tight end T.J. Hockenson, a 2023 fourth-round pick and a conditional 2024 fourth-round pick to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for a 2023 second-round pick and a 2024 third-round pick

Vikings got a decent deal for a former first rounder.

Probably all the proof you ever need that pretty much no tight end, like running back is worth a 1st round pick.  If he lived up to it and was a top tier get a dominant TE, you keep him.  But most the ones I can think of weren't first round picks.

Which by the way, I can't recall anyone like other than Gronk or Tony Gonzalez (drafted in 1st BTW), but those were influenced by the player.  Gronk was retired at the time and wanted to follow Brady.  And Tony Gonzalez wanted out of KC.

17 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Probably all the proof you ever need that pretty much no tight end, like running back is worth a 1st round pick.  If he lived up to it and was a top tier get a dominant TE, you keep him.  But most the ones I can think of weren't first round picks.

Which by the way, I can't recall anyone like other than Gronk or Tony Gonzalez (drafted in 1st BTW), but those were influenced by the player.  Gronk was retired at the time and wanted to follow Brady.  And Tony Gonzalez wanted out of KC.

Pitts looks like a stud. I would have taken him with a first rounder. He is like a WR with more skills.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kind of surprised that the Lions would trade a very good TE to a division rival. 

I wondered that too. He also is very young. I think he is from Iowa or Iowa St. We have many Hawkeye and Cyclone fans. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai what do you think of the trade? Remember Viking22? He is a happy man today. 

Is the 5th Year Option only available to the team that drafts a player or does that transfer along with all the rights to the player?

it transfers. you guys have him for 9m next year now as Detroit picked it up

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Pitts looks like a stud. I would have taken him with a first rounder. He is like a WR with more skills.

Not so far this year, lol.  I mean Mariota isn't a gun slinger by any means and Pitts has already shown he can be a stud.  But for the #6 pick?  I mean if you get 10 years of 1,200 yard/10 TD seasons out of the guy, yeah. I'd probably say yes.  But we'll see how this year plays out.  

But the overalll point is, getting those types of TEs come out of nowhere I believe, because the position is such a hard transfer from college to the NFL.  And when I say "come out of nowhere" I literally mean that.  From all over the draft.  And guys who have limited football experience, but played basketball.   Gronk was a 2nd round.  Jimmy Graham a 3rd rounder.  Antonio Gates undrafted.  George Kittle 5th rounder.  Kelce 3rd.  Mark Andrews 3rd.  Shannon Sharpe 7th.  I mean there's been great first rounders in there too, don't get me wrong.  Dallas Clark for instance. 

But to me, no position is more of a crap shoot than tight end.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever draft 1 in the first round.  I really like the kid at Notre Dame.  He's probably a first rounder.  I don't know if he's like another Kyle Pitts, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted in the upper half of the first round.

Good to see the Vikings making a move to improve the team. With the Colts in shambles and the Bengals looking more like Bengals, I'm rooting for a Bills vs. Vikings Super Bowl matchup. 

Two franchises who suffered 4 straight Super Bowl losses, with one finally, FINALLY getting the Lombardi. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Good to see the Vikings making a move to improve the team. With the Colts in shambles and the Bengals looking more like Bengals, I'm rooting for a Bills vs. Vikings Super Bowl matchup. 

Two franchises who suffered 4 straight Super Bowl losses, with one finally, FINALLY getting the Lombardi. 

We know how that would end. :sip:

46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai what do you think of the trade? Remember Viking22? He is a happy man today. 

Is the 5th Year Option only available to the team that drafts a player or does that transfer along with all the rights to the player?

Amazing move... That's great deal for the first time GM, to get such a proven talent for a fair exchange of draft picks. It is a great need for the Vikings, it is better than trying to find a good TE in upcoming drafts as @OffensivelyPC says. This is great timing as well, because Cousins for the first time plays really competitively to win games and not just for stats, and this offense needs a blocking plus drive extending, scoring TE. I can't think of any better way the GM could've achieved this, and to do this when the team is hot is a sign of a great executive mind. I hope they could extend, manage the cap this year and keep him for years to come. It also helps take the position need in the time of the draft, so GM could concentrate on much more impactful positions of need in next drafts, that was what I didn't like about getting Irv Smith by spending a second round draft pick.

What's not to like.. 

If I were the Lions, I'd not have done it, but the compensation in second and third rounds in upcoming drafts should help build their roster better, if they could hit on a couple of CBs and a LB / Safety. They would need to draft a QB, so they are looking at few years for a complete rebuild and that would give enough time to draft a tight end or get someone like Harrison Bryant, Jonnu Smith, OJ Howard, Tyler Conklin or Isaiah Likely some time later.. So, overall I guess it's good for Detroit too, if they use those picks pretty well. 

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Both teams having their kicker miss a last second field goal? :peek::ninja:

I'd root for both teams, for the Buffalo defense, Josh Allen and above all, for Stefon Diggs. At least one from the Cook Family would get a SB ring. 

Yeah, of course, there would be some good, last minute drama from Vikings and Bills to entertain everyone and for trash talk for decades to come. 

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'd root for both teams, for the Buffalo defense, Josh Allen and above all, for Stefon Diggs. At least one from the Cook Family would get a SB ring. 

Yeah, of course, there would be some good, last minute drama from Vikings and Bills to entertain everyone and for trash talk for decades to come. 

It would be the best Super Bowl in years for me. Last Super Bowl was heartbreaking as a Bengals fan and obviously stressful... Any time Brady plays in one I'm just angry, and I've never been a 49ers fan (see: being a Bengals fan lol). 

I'd be able to just watch and enjoy the game without too much investment and stress. Of course I'd rather have Colts or Bengals in, but this year just isn't the year for either team. 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

it transfers. you guys have him for 9m next year now as Detroit picked it up

He has been in the league that long? Wow. Time does fly. I don't know why I thought he was a 2nd or 3rd year player. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Not so far this year, lol.  I mean Mariota isn't a gun slinger by any means and Pitts has already shown he can be a stud.  But for the #6 pick?  I mean if you get 10 years of 1,200 yard/10 TD seasons out of the guy, yeah. I'd probably say yes.  But we'll see how this year plays out.  

But the overalll point is, getting those types of TEs come out of nowhere I believe, because the position is such a hard transfer from college to the NFL.  And when I say "come out of nowhere" I literally mean that.  From all over the draft.  And guys who have limited football experience, but played basketball.   Gronk was a 2nd round.  Jimmy Graham a 3rd rounder.  Antonio Gates undrafted.  George Kittle 5th rounder.  Kelce 3rd.  Mark Andrews 3rd.  Shannon Sharpe 7th.  I mean there's been great first rounders in there too, don't get me wrong.  Dallas Clark for instance. 

But to me, no position is more of a crap shoot than tight end.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever draft 1 in the first round.  I really like the kid at Notre Dame.  He's probably a first rounder.  I don't know if he's like another Kyle Pitts, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted in the upper half of the first round.

I see what you mean. I actually thought similarly of WRs but not so much. There are WRs that change the game like Randy Moss but there are many good WRs available later in the draft (Diggs, Antonio Brown, and many more).

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Amazing move... That's great deal for the first time GM, to get such a proven talent for a fair exchange of draft picks. It is a great need for the Vikings, it is better than trying to find a good TE in upcoming drafts as @OffensivelyPC says. This is great timing as well, because Cousins for the first time plays really competitively to win games and not just for stats, and this offense needs a blocking plus drive extending, scoring TE. I can't think of any better way the GM could've achieved this, and to do this when the team is hot is a sign of a great executive mind. I hope they could extend, manage the cap this year and keep him for years to come. It also helps take the position need in the time of the draft, so GM could concentrate on much more impactful positions of need in next drafts, that was what I didn't like about getting Irv Smith by spending a second round draft pick.

What's not to like.. 

If I were the Lions, I'd not have done it, but the compensation in second and third rounds in upcoming drafts should help build their roster better, if they could hit on a couple of CBs and a LB / Safety. They would need to draft a QB, so they are looking at few years for a complete rebuild and that would give enough time to draft a tight end or get someone like Harrison Bryant, Jonnu Smith, OJ Howard, Tyler Conklin or Isaiah Likely some time later.. So, overall I guess it's good for Detroit too, if they use those picks pretty well. 

Irv Smith is out. So, the move makes more sense. This from Irv Smith's dad:

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

In the current NFL, pass catchers and pass rushers, plus elite tackles (O and D), plus cornerbacks are the blue chippers for round 1, for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I think this trade is the current "shock of the day" trade.  

Hockenson was a big part of the Lions offense.

I thought the Vikings liked their TE Irv Smith.

Head scratcher.......

Irv Smith is injured -- out about 8 weeks. I have never been a big fan of his. He was underwhelming, in my humble opinion.

18 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Amazing move... That's great deal for the first time GM, to get such a proven talent for a fair exchange of draft picks. It is a great need for the Vikings, it is better than trying to find a good TE in upcoming drafts

The players he has acquired are doing well. Za'Darius Smith leads the league in sacks and tackles for loss, I believe. You liked the Jordan Hicks acquisition. He is doing well. Our offense should improve a lot with Hockenson and Cook, JJ, Thielen, Osborn. We need the CBs and safeties to get better.

We also have not had many injuries... I'm hopeful. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The players he has acquired are doing well. Za'Darius Smith leads the league in sacks and tackles for loss, I believe. You liked the Jordan Hicks acquisition. He is doing well. Our offense should improve a lot with Hockenson and Cook, JJ, Thielen, Osborn. We need the CBs and safeties to get better.

Yeah, very bold moves for great talent.. Usually we'd feel lucky if we get one of those 3 high caliber players in the off-season. Still, pass defense is the weaklink and it's not possible to solve all the problems in first year.

PFF seems to like Cameron Dantzler for last 3 years, and this year he's been graded the lowest, but still doing his job well. For the first time with Vikings, Patrick Peterson is graded as near elite this year by PFF. They don't like Chandon Sullivan. Kris Boyd has not played much. Star Tribune updates Andrew Booth Jr is inching closer to return and DC says he'd start with special teams when healthy, and will continue to develop. So not sure when he'd be able to play as CB in the defense. Probably before the end of December. PFF doesn't like Camryn Bynum, I saw a very bad tackle to give up a TD against eagles in week 2, but he's improved as the season progresses, seems to be playing better and even making some stops and turnovers. PFF likes Josh Metellus, but he's played few snaps so far. I think we need Andrew Booth healthy and to be at his best to compete in playoffs. 

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Hockenson wears #88, which is retired number for Vikings, Alan Page's. Wonder if Vikings allow the number to be used again, possibly with Alan's blessings. Curious what number he'd be wearing with Vikings.. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Hockenson wears #88, which is retired number for Vikings, Alan Page's. Wonder if Vikings allow the number to be used again, possibly with Alan's blessings. Curious what number he'd be wearing with Vikings.. 

I read that he will use 87.

• 2 weeks later...

This is already looking like the best trade this year. He was all over the field yesterday and Cousins clearly loves that security blanket. 

It looks like the Bills got Hines exclusively for return duties - I don't think he got a single offensive snap. 

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

This is already looking like the best trade this year. He was all over the field yesterday and Cousins clearly loves that security blanket. 

It looks like the Bills got Hines exclusively for return duties - I don't think he got a single offensive snap. 

Vikings and Cousins have long needed a great TE to keep threat alive in all levels. 

Hines caught a pass and went for 9 yards, I believe. Think they'd slowly but surely get him in the passing game more as they get to see what works for Allen with him. Interesting to see if he would be consistently utilized. 

15 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Hey, the Lions traded a key player for the previous SB winner too, Matthew Stafford. Maybe that is a good sign?? :dunno:

6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Hock is a good TE but not sure I'd go as far as "key player." 

When you see the Bucs upset the Eagles in the divisional round and the Vikings host the NFCCG and beat the Bucs in the NFCCG, and go to the SB, we shall revisit this exact page. :thmup:

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When you see the Bucs upset the Eagles in the divisional round and the Vikings host the NFCCG and beat the Bucs in the NFCCG, and go to the SB, we shall revisit this exact page. :thmup:

Ha... I've not even thought about playoffs yet. It's still funny that the Vikings are one of the top teams of the season.. I've just been impressed with Kirk Cousins for the first time in all these years. I guess coach has done the unthinkable in his first year. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ha... I've not even thought about playoffs yet. It's still funny that the Vikings are one of the top teams of the season.. I've just been impressed with Kirk Cousins for the first time in all these years. I guess coach has done the unthinkable in his first year. 

Just hope all of Kirk Cousins' playoff games are in the afternoon and never at night. lol :) 

If you make it to the SB, the happiest one will be the AFC team because he HAS TO play at night in primetime.

Last year, AFCCG was in the afternoon, so this year NFCCG will be in the afternoon, should favor Vikings if they are in it. :) Mahomes and Josh Allen do well playing at night, so does Tom Brady, based on history. 

Archived