Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts haul in GM Mock Draft

Just thought I'd share this with you all: Participated in a GM Mock Draft (from 20 March to 14 April) at a Danish (which I am) website, and got the following for the Colts:

1. round, 1st overall: Andrew Luck, QB - Stanford

No brainer.

2nd round, 34th overall: Coby Fleener, TE - Stanford

Almost BPA in my estimation. Stephon Gilmore was there, but that was before he took a massive rise in the draft media. I've always had 1st round grade on Gilmore though, and he was my best prospect available, but couldn't ignore the need at TE, Fleeners receiving talent, lack of targets for Luck as well as Fleener og Luck's familiarity.

3rd round, 65th overall: Jamell Fleming, CB - Oklahoma

Fleming is a tremendous talent. Physical, fast, great technician. A good man cover corner, who should fit in well. Colts don't have anybody solid at cornerback except Jerraud Powers, who has struggled to stay healthy.

(Tried to trade down here, but didn't succeed)

4th round, 99th overall: Malik Jackson, DE/DT - Tennessee

I love this guy, so snatched him here in the 4th. In my eyes, he has good value even though not all the popular ranking sites rates him highly. Jackson might have the best use of hands in the draft, extends his arm well into contact, diagnoses plays (keeps his head up) and has a high effort motor. 4-3 DE who transferred from USC to Tennessee. Played DE his junior year, moved to DT senior year. Has bulked up to 285-290lbs to appeal as a 3 tech DT to 4-3 teams. A tad over 6'4" and has very long arms. Played DT at about 267. No trouble carrying the extra weight on his impressive frame.

For the Colts his versatility is great. Can backup/rotate at 5 tech DE (could develop into one of the leagues better players at this position), play DE in a 4 man front on early/running downs, can move to DT in nickel and pass rush from there.

(Tried to trade down here as well)

5th round, 138th overall: Jarius Wright, WR - Arkansas

WR got emptied out quickly during the 4th round! I was praying for AJ Jenkins at this spot, but he got picked by the Packers with a compensatory pick three picks prior to this pick.

However, I am happy with Wright. Only thing he lacks is size (5'10", 185lbs), but he has terrific speed, reliable hands, is a great route runner who understands and reads defenses. His speed allows him to be a threat on the outside despite his small size. Has Pro Bowl traits in the slot though. Will battle Donnie Avery for playing time.

A selection of WR was down prioritized with the selection of Fleener. Let Wright and Avery compete in 2012. Possible to add better outside receiver in '13.

5th round, compensatory pick, 172nd overall: Jerry Franklin, (I)LB - Arkansas

I'm pretty ecstatic about this pick. I love Franklins ability. He possesses good size at 6'1" 245lbs and good speed. His best asset is his smarts, pursuit and tackling ability though. He almost never get caught in traffic and take great angles.

The Colts doesn't have much at LB after Angerer and Conner, so need meets value. Will backup the two linebackers in the 3-4 system, can play OLB in 4-3, and should be able to play in nickel formations (replacing Conner).

6th round, compensatory pick, 209th overall: Donald Stephenson, OT - Oklahoma

Workout warrior at the combine. Best in all drills except bench press, but showed lower body explosiveness in the broad and vertical jump. Not a mauler by any means though, lacks strength (can be relatively easy improved), more of a finesse blocker. Stands 6'6" 312lbs, played right tackle for the Sooners before moving to left tackle for 2011. Didn't give up a sack (I think!). Not a day one starter, but well worth this pick - and that's an understatement. Could be a solid right tackle for the future.

7th round, 211th overall: Mike Harris, CB - Florida State

You can never have too many good cornerbacks! Harris is a JUCO transfer, playing his junior and senior season at FSU. Broke into the team right away playing the nickel corner position, competing for a starting job. Four interceptions and two forced fumbles as a junior despite not starting any games. Part of a three man rotation at CB his senior year. Had 58 tackles (2nd on team) (43 solo), 9 pass break ups, a sack and one interceptions.

Has tremendous feet, hips and good, but not great speed. Will compete for nickel spot from day one. Could back up at FS. Harris is a great special teamer (particularly as gunner), so he will see the field.

7th round, 227th overall: Joe Looney, OG - Wake Forest

Looney is a great pass protector with tremendous change of direction og feet movement. Lacks lower body strength in the run game and can be pushed back in pass sets, but recovers with technique. A good prospect, and a good supplement to the big run maulers on the Colts OL (Reitz, McGlynn).

7th round, 256th overall: Adrien Robinson, TE - Cincinnati

Mr. Irrelevant. Allright, he's the last pick, but the Colts need to secure the services of a guy with Robinsons psycial abilities. Came to Cincy as a TE, went to WR and then back to TE. He wasn't invited to the NFL scouting combine, but his pro day numbers would have stood out. He's 6'4" 264lbs, 4.51 (only Hanna faster at combine) and 4.58 in the 40 yard dash, 11'3" broad jump (better than any TE at combine), 39.5" vertical (better than any TE at combine), Short shuttle (4.37) and 3-cone (7.11) would have been placed in the middle amongst TEs at combine.

Has very(!) limited production (12 catches, 183 yards, 3 TDs in 2011 - 29 catches, 434 yards, 5 TDs in career) and is raw, but could develop very nicely!

That's it folks!

I had my eyes on Brandon Washington (OG) in the 4th, but he got picked at #92. Would really have liked to add a quality OG like him. I'm very happy with the players I got though.

Thoughts on this mock?

@ 21isSuperman

There's very different reports on Malik Jackson. But there is some who likes him a lot - and I do too. Read from a Vols fan that Jackson was the only bright spot in that defense, and was the sole reason Tennesse had any pass rush. He's very disruptive and gives you full effort on every play.

@ LJpalmbeacher

Hill went as high as 19 to the Bears.

@ 21isSuperman

There's very different reports on Malik Jackson. But there is some who likes him a lot - and I do too. Read from a Vols fan that Jackson was the only bright spot in that defense, and was the sole reason Tennesse had any pass rush. He's very disruptive and gives you full effort on every play.

@ LJpalmbeacher

Hill went as high as 19 to the Bears.

True statement about Jackson from another Vols fan. He was made a DT because Tennessee didn't have much there and he generally played well and always gave a full effort. He has long arms and a frame that can grow. I have read a few reports that he "talks" football very well which hopefully means he understands the game very well. He would be a developmental DE at both the 3-4 and 4-3 in my eyes. I certainly would like to see him on the Colts but not sure about picking him in the 4th round. GO COLTS!