Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T Julien Davenport

sb41champs

People here STILL don’t understand.   

Guys like Davenport and Tevi and Holden and Banner and Clark and Haeg and the dozens and dozens of other back up lineman….  That’s what’s available to most teams in the NFL.    

When we didn’t bring back Clark, Philly signed him.   When we didn’t bring back Davenport, Chicago signed him.   Zack Banner has been on 3 or 4 other teams since  the Colts cut him.  

There are only so many people that big and skilled enough to be starter-quality.  The rest are backups.   They cycle around with other teams.  

As for last year.  When we signed Tevi and Davenport, they joined us with roughly 76 career starts between them.   I think Tevi had about 44 and Davenport had about 32.  And those were STARTS!!   Not games played as backups — STARTS!  Before they were Colts.

It’s incredibly hard to find quality backups in the NFL.    Seriously, it is.  

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

People here STILL don’t understand.   

Guys like Davenport and Tevi and Holden and Banner and Clark and Haeg and the dozens and dozens of other back up lineman….  That’s what’s available to most teams in the NFL.    

When we didn’t bring back Clark, Philly signed him.   When we didn’t bring back Davenport, Chicago signed him.   Zack Banner has been on 3 or 4 other teams since  the Colts cut him.  

There are only so many people that big and skilled enough to be starter-quality.  The rest are backups.   They cycle around with other teams.  

As for last year.  When we signed Tevi and Davenport, they joined us with roughly 76 career starts between them.   I think Tevi had about 44 and Davenport had about 32.  And those were STARTS!!   Not games played as backups — STARTS!  Before they were Colts.

It’s incredibly hard to find quality backups in the NFL.    Seriously, it is.  

Exactly!!  I don’t think there is a team in the league that doesn’t have needs on the OL.  There really isn’t 160 6’ 300lb+ men in the world that can start in the NFL

Davenport and Tevi were both low risk and in their cases, low reward free agent signings when the Colts were almost in desperation mode when they realized that Eric Fisher was not going to be 100% ready to start the season last year.  I wish Davenport well but no tears will be shed from me at his going to the Chicago Bears.

11 hours ago, Carolina Colt said:

Davenport and Tevi were both low risk and in their cases, low reward free agent signings when the Colts were almost in desperation mode when they realized that Eric Fisher was not going to be 100% ready to start the season last year.  I wish Davenport well but no tears will be shed from me at his going to the Chicago Bears.

Huh?

I believe Davenport and Tevi were signed before Fisher.   And we knew all along Fisher would not be ready at the start of the season.   The strongest buzz was that he’d be ready in October.   I think he came back sooner than expected. 

I hope Pryor is the guy at LT.   But I believe we will need a veteran for protection.   Someone who is not currently on the roster right now. 

Archived