Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mock Draft

The league is a pass first run second philosophy now do to the new rules, we need a corner with our second pick its that simple

It's a deep class I think. If you can get a Dwight Bentley/Chase Minnifield/Josh Norman in Round 4 then that's a success in my eyes. I think Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore will be gone then Jenkins has character concerns...then you're talking Hosley, Dennard, Boykin etc who are probably late 2nd rounders.

It's a deep class I think. If you can get a Dwight Bentley/Chase Minnifield/Josh Norman in Round 4 then that's a success in my eyes. I think Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore will be gone then Jenkins has character concerns...then you're talking Hosley, Dennard, Boykin etc who are probably late 2nd rounders.

if ya want someone that can start ya go with Jenkins but if ya want another project corner which we have all project corners right now and thats including Powers then you go with any of the other Corners after Jenkins

I have to disagree with all of your points except that NT and TE are bigger needs (debatable). Our depth chart at corner looks awful. Rucker and Thomas were both embarrassingly bad last year. Corner is one of the most crucial positions in football, especially in a 3-4 where they have to have man coverage skills. The NFL is a quarterback's league. Pass coverage is nearly as important (if not equally) than pass rush, particularly when the unit has little talent and are learning a different system.

They looked awful because they had little experience with no offseason because of the lockout

How do you figure that? CB is near the bottom of needs for a 3-4 D. Defensive Line makes that horse gallop...we need a NT or a DE before CB. I'd also put TE and WR above CB for this draft as well.

Sorry Man but your wrong in regards to the role of CB's in this hyrid D. To play the attacking styte D the coaches want, your corners have to be able to play man to man coverage. If they can't cover, the D will get killed with big plays over and over again. You have to have lock down corners. I agree with you that help on the line wold be great . Help everywhere would be great. I think our needs this year are CB, WR, OG, TE, DE, NT

Sorry Man but your wrong in regards to the role of CB's in this hyrid D. To play the attacking styte D the coaches want, your corners have to be able to play man to man coverage. If they can't cover, the D will get killed with big plays over and over again. You have to have lock down corners. I agree with you that help on the line wold be great . Help everywhere would be great. I think our needs this year are CB, WR, OG, TE, DE, NT

well said, but I would put our needs in this order

Corner or defensive tackle those two can flip flop even with the Mckinney signing

Wide recever

Tight End

Guard

Well you are certainly allowed to disagree, but it doesn't make you right. If you don't have a NT to plug up the middle, you might as well just sit down and play in the grass the entire game. They'll run all over you. Corner in a 3-4 is somewhat important but in no way is it as important as ANY of the D-line. If you can cite to me a great 3-4 defense that has a sub-par D-line but has a great corner...i'd be glad to acknowledge that.

The good ones : Ravens, Steelers, 49rs, Texans for example, all have great D-lines. If they didn't you wouldn't need to worry about getting passed on. Why run the risk of an interception? You can run on a team with no D-line. IE the Colts. The Jets have Revis I suppose and that's nice but the still have a great D-line. If you ask anyone who knows anything about coaching football, they'll tell you it starts in the trenches.

Again, if you look at the stats last year Passing vs Running defense for the Colts, the Run D aka the D-line is a huge concern. Much more than the pass D. There is no point whatsoever in installing a 3-4 defense if you have no big bodies on the line. We got Redding...thats about it. McKinney is a fine backup, but we need a starter.

Well you are certainly allowed to disagree, but it doesn't make you right. If you don't have a NT to plug up the middle, you might as well just sit down and play in the grass the entire game. They'll run all over you. Corner in a 3-4 is somewhat important but in no way is it as important as ANY of the D-line. If you can cite to me a great 3-4 defense that has a sub-par D-line but has a great corner...i'd be glad to acknowledge that.

The good ones : Ravens, Steelers, 49rs, Texans for example, all have great D-lines. If they didn't you wouldn't need to worry about getting passed on. Why run the risk of an interception? You can run on a team with no D-line. IE the Colts. The Jets have Revis I suppose and that's nice but the still have a great D-line. If you ask anyone who knows anything about coaching football, they'll tell you it starts in the trenches.

Again, if you look at the stats last year Passing vs Running defense for the Colts, the Run D aka the D-line is a huge concern. Much more than the pass D. There is no point whatsoever in installing a 3-4 defense if you have no big bodies on the line. We got Redding...thats about it. McKinney is a fine backup, but we need a starter.

I wont argue with any of that cause your simply right about all you have stated but my issue with that is by the time the colts get their second pick most of the top defensive line talent will be gone what will be left wont be worth a second 2 pick we can just as easily get Hicks (who may be able to play multiple D-Line spots) but their will be good Corners left in the second worthy of second round consideration, again its obvious D Line was a huge issue for us but if were going best player available and wanting to fill a need at the same time then ya cant pass on Corner we need a solid Man Corner who would likely come in and start and the Corners we have no can play nickel, we can get Akiem Hicks or Ta'amy or Baptiste all in later rounds, preferable Hicks and Ta'amu

I wont argue with any of that cause your simply right about all you have stated but my issue with that is by the time the colts get their second pick most of the top defensive line talent will be gone what will be left wont be worth a second 2 pick we can just as easily get Hicks (who may be able to play multiple D-Line spots) but their will be good Corners left in the second worthy of second round consideration, again its obvious D Line was a huge issue for us but if were going best player available and wanting to fill a need at the same time then ya cant pass on Corner we need a solid Man Corner who would likely come in and start and the Corners we have no can play nickel, we can get Akiem Hicks or Ta'amy or Baptiste all in later rounds, preferable Hicks and Ta'amu

i'm not saying we don't need a corner. everything you just said in defense of getting a corner in the 2nd and getting a NT later can be said in reverse to support my side too lol. We need a big man up front that has continued success with plugging up the middle. I have a feeling guys like Devon Still and Jerel Worthy will be there at #34. I could see Alfonzo Dennard falling to the 3rd round with how many CB's are going to be taken early. If not, it's still deep. Bently, Minnifield, Norman, Prater. All of those would be serviceable CB's. Cornerback is one of the most coach-able positions if you've got a guy with speed and awareness.

I realize that you feel the exact opposite and that's fine. Luckily the draft is next thursday and we'll get to see what the FO does. As mentioned earlier, you can't fill every hole in one draft. It's probably going to work out for us next year to be high enough in the draft to grab Tyrann Mathieu from LSU if we want him. He's better than Claiborne and could be your shut down corner. But, that's a long time from now, who knows how our D will play this year.

Yeah, I reckon I am seeing your logic. Prayerfully, the "analysts" don't know what they're talking about and real NT talent is there at the #34. If it is there we...MUST...take it. But if what you say is true...and nothing at the NT rates a #34 selection then to me DE may still be a bigger need. I just think line play always trumps the 2nd level.

Also, just in general...I appreciate people (seemingly always) wanting shut corners (of which there are like two in the whole league)...but I am in the...

Shut down the run > pressure the QB > make INTs camp

And not in the...

Waste half your cap on 2 shut down corners > ignore the screens, slants, flats and middle > blitz your LBs and pray that all translates into chicken salad camp.

Wait, what?

uuuuuuuuuh... yeah... do I even need to explain? you think RB, S, WR, or TE are more crucial? I know being Indy fans makes us devalue corners, but, yes, they are important. That is why it becomes difficult to name elite RBs that don't run behind elite O lines or elite WRs that aren't being thrown to by elite QBs. Good cover corners do not get the credit they deserve while other positions get all the love (much of it undeserved) JMO