Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jets at Colts Post Game Thoughts....

EastStreet

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Buckner is elite. The secondary sucks and lbs r weak. Sure Leoanrd is a great play maker but is weak in pass coverage. I have always said Buckner is a stud. I thought they got him early. By thy time this D is good, if ever,, Buckner will be in older and declining. 

It won’t take that much for Ballard to turn this defense around. Just need to fix the secondary with a couple players and maybe add a vet pass rush. That can be done in s offseason through the draft and FA.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think a change from CB, just when he seems to be rounding out, may not be in the cards though

We need to muddle thru this year, and get serious in the off season at FS in either the draft or a FA

Yup. RYS is playing well this year, and we are thin at CB. I would like to see him press more though, and he is suited to do so. He does seem like someone that would make a good FS or SS though. 

Overall, I think we need a new FS (move JB to SS), and a CB to replace Rhodes unless he comes back strong from injury in the second half of the season. Maybe Carrie will get a shot at FS and work out long term. I'm giving up on Tell making a mark.

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It won’t take that much for Ballard to turn this defense around. Just need to fix the secondary with a couple players and maybe add a vet pass rush. That can be done in s offseason through the draft and FA.

Huh? The secondary is not good. Both corner positions need to be replaced. Thr safeties cannot cover. They r all quite young except for Roades and may have reached their potential. I hope Dayo and Paye work out.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Huh? The secondary is not good. Both corner positions need to be replaced. Thr safeties cannot cover. They r all quite young except for Roades and may have reached their potential. I hope Dayo and Paye work out.

I said a couple pieces. It’s not like we need ten new players. Rock  has been solid. Go get someone to play beside him. Get a safety.  Go get a good FA corner who is young to go with Rock. Get a vet pass rusher. Then add some safety depth. That isn’t that hard to fix with FA and the draft. Then add hopefully a change in DC.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I said a couple pieces. It’s not like we need ten new players. Rock  has been solid. Go get someone to play beside him. Get a safety.  Go get a good FA corner who is young to go with Rock. Get a vet pass rusher. Then add some safety depth. That isn’t that hard to fix with FA and the draft.

Well it is hard to fix in the draft. U have the same gm,Ballard, making the picks because he has whiffed on his previous defensive picks. Does not give me a lot of confidence moving forward.

36 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well it is hard to fix in the draft. U have the same gm,Ballard, making the picks because he has whiffed on his previous defensive picks. Does not give me a lot of confidence moving forward.

We have our QB now so I think Ballard might look to FA to fill a couple of those holes next  year. Not talking cheap vets but actually maybe spend on a player or two.  

5 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We have our QB now so I think Ballard might look to FA to fill a couple of those holes next  year. Not talking cheap vets but actually maybe spend on a player or two.  

We got a 20 million a year guard to sign next year. I don't think there will b as much cap as u think.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We got a 20 million a year guard to sign next year. I don't think there will b as much cap as u think.

14 million is already accounted for. So it’s not like it’s 20 million more.  There is plenty to go out and find a good young CB and fill a couple holes. Bigger question is getting FA to want to come here.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We don’t have to sign Q to a new contract next year.  He’s already under contract.  Would Bellicheck pay a guard 20 million a year earlier than he has to?  I don’t think so.   Neither should Ballard.  

22 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

14 million is already accounted for. So it’s not like it’s 20 million more.  There is plenty to go out and find a good young CB and fill a couple holes. Bigger question is getting FA to want to come here.

Show them the money and they will come.  The vast majority of free agents go to the highest bidder.  Now will Ballard be willing to be that person?  We shall see.

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Show them the money and they will come.  The vast majority of free agents go to the highest bidder.  Now will Ballard be willing to be that person?  We shall see.

I'll answer that question for you. "Nope" Ballard has always been a guy that picks a price and won't go over it. Although I do trust his ability to find hidden gems after the first rush of Free Agency and I'll take that over big names everyday.

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he has already proven the only people he is willing to pay big bucks are people he has drafted or in one case traded for in Buckner.

20 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think he has already proven the only people he is willing to pay big bucks are people he has drafted or in one case traded for in Buckner.

I think we need to see if that philosophy changes now he has a QB. Eventually when you have a team like the colts who are just missing a piece or two he is going to have to pay for those missing pieces. He can’t sit around just waiting to get players in the draft or we will never get there. If Ballard thinks we are just a couple pieces away I think he will pay for those players. 

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think we need to see if that philosophy changes now he has a QB. Eventually when you have a team like the colts who are just missing a piece or two he is going to have to pay for those missing pieces. He can’t sit around just waiting to get players in the draft or we will never get there. If Ballard thinks we are just a couple pieces away I think he will pay for those players. 

Ill believe it when I see it.

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ill believe it when I see it.

Oh I agree. But at some point when your close like the colts need to go buy those extra couple pieces.  Was listening to Andrew Moore who writes about the colts and does a podcast he mentioned what I was saying before it won’t take much to fix the defense. It really won’t be that hard.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Oh I agree. But at some point when your close like the colts need to go buy those extra couple pieces.  Was listening to Andrew Moore who writes about the colts and does a podcast he mentioned what I was saying before it won’t take much to fix the defense. It really won’t be that hard.

Although Ballard has whiffed on the Dline a couple times and takes a lot of heat about it on this forum. Overall he is still a great drafter. I think he will invest heavily in the secondary and maybe a WR this offseason. Also our safeties looks to be good picks thus far they are just injured.

14 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Although Ballard has whiffed on the Dline a couple times and takes a lot of heat about it on this forum. Overall he is still a great drafter. I think he will invest heavily in the secondary and maybe a WR this offseason. Also our safeties looks to be good picks thus far they are just injured.

I am worried about our safeties always being injured. It’s not good Blackmon has had a ACL and Achilles in a two year span. Willis seems to get beat up a lot. I know physical safeties tend to get injured alot  so Ballard needs to find better backups. Blackmon may not be ready at the start next season either. He needs to go find a good young corner, some depth at safety, WR, and probably a vet pass rusher. Nothing expensive just a good vet.  I would prefer the CB come in FA rather then the draft. Looks like Fisher needs to be resigned. Cox and pascal probably need to come back. If Tyquan heals well he should be brought back. Almost everyone else can hit FA.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, richard pallo said:

We don’t have to sign Q to a new contract next year.  He’s already under contract.  Would Bellicheck pay a guard 20 million a year earlier than he has to?  I don’t think so.   Neither should Ballard.  

His injuries are mounting up this year.

Archived