Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 1.0 Mock draft

I'm not gonna go high at WR or CB as I feel at WR we're gonna re-sign Hilton or address it in free agency and CB I'm not ready to give up on Rock and also we'll get Marvell Tell back.

1. Carlos Basham DE Wake Forest

Basham has the size and quickness to be a every down linemen with his quick hands and ability to pressure and get into the backfield

2. Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State

Jenkins has been a big part of the cowboys running success with Hubbard along with being a solid pass protector

3. Chuba Hubbard RB Oklahoma State

Maybe a stretch, but Hubbard opting out could have him slide. He was the leading rusher in 2019 before he opted out this year. Gives us a great addition to our backfield to combine with Taylor and replace Mack.

4. Stone Forsythe T/G Florida

Stone has mostly played LT with his run blocking being his best asset which is why he might kick inside, but it does provide us with our swing T

5. Trae Barry TE Jacksonville State

Raw receiver with an incredible mismatch in size at 6 7 240 pounds and 4.7 speed. 

6. Buddy Johnson ILB Texas A&M

Tackling machine to add depth with Walker most likely leaving for free agency

7. Elijah Blades CB Texas A&M

Blades only had one season of division one football before opting out which imo will hurt his stock. He has good size and physicality that Ballard looks for.

Y’know, there are three super awkward picks we could make in this draft.  1) Carlos Basham, since his cousin Terrell was such a bust for us.  I imagine that Ballard doesn’t get xmas cards from that family.  B) Marco Wilson, since brother Quincy was consistently called out by the staff for poor practice habits and unceremoniously shipped out of town.  And, thirdly) Tyler Vrabel, since the “feud is back on” with his father’s former team, and because of his dad’s team’s divisional rivalry with the Colts.  I think we should draft all three...

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

Y’know, there are three super awkward picks we could make in this draft.  1) Carlos Basham, since his cousin Terrell was such a bust for us.  I imagine that Ballard doesn’t get xmas cards from that family.  B) Marco Wilson, since brother Quincy was consistently called out by the staff for poor practice habits and unceremoniously shipped out of town.  And, thirdly) Tyler Vrabel, since the “feud is back on” with his father’s former team, and because of his dad’s team’s divisional rivalry with the Colts.  I think we should draft all three...

I like the way you think haha. What do you think of my mock?

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I like the way you think haha. What do you think of my mock?

I like the two tackles in the first four picks.  I was already worried about OT depth before AC retired.  And Forsyth could still play a little LT in the pros if he shed 25 lbs.  I’m not so sure about the luxury 3rd round RB, but I’m having trouble figuring out what to do with that pick myself - agree with coming out of 1 and 2 with a OT and a DE...

39 minutes ago, Archer said:

I like the two tackles in the first four picks.  I was already worried about OT depth before AC retired.  And Forsyth could still play a little LT in the pros if he shed 25 lbs.  I’m not so sure about the luxury 3rd round RB, but I’m having trouble figuring out what to do with that pick myself - agree with coming out of 1 and 2 with a OT and a DE...

I don't think it's a luxury. We need someone to take pressure off of Taylor and god forbid if he gets injured.

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't think it's a luxury. We need someone to take pressure off of Taylor and god forbid if he gets injured.

Yeah, I guess.  I don’t think we’ll have any big needs that can be addressed in the draft after the first two rounds.  I see us looking at CBs and DEs in FA, possibly opening up that 1st round for a QB.  We still have the problem at LT, though, and I’m not so sure there’s an instant solution outside the first round...

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Vrabel is also the one that was sitting on the “stool” in the pic from last years draft when Houston picked and they showed that strange scene from the vrabel household.  

I don’t know where he’s ranked but I wouldn’t hate him in Indy.  Has the size for sure. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I guess.  I don’t think we’ll have any big needs that can be addressed in the draft after the first two rounds.  I see us looking at CBs and DEs in FA, possibly opening up that 1st round for a QB.  We still have the problem at LT, though, and I’m not so sure there’s an instant solution outside the first round...

I wouldn't rule out moving smith to the left and playing Jenkins at RT

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mack is still capable of a 1000 yard season.  With our OL we could have dual threat RBs.  At a minimum Mack could lighten the load off Taylor given his injuries.

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Carlos Basham DE Wake Forest

Basham has the size and quickness to be a every down linemen with his quick hands and ability to pressure and get into the backfield

Am still not overly impressed with his game tape.  Maybe his team made him stop and play coverage rather than bull rush the QB.  Seemed he passed his tackle stats by overseeing and then reacting.  Seen too many where he chased down and assisted tackle 10-15 yards down opposite side of field.

Plenty of other talented Edge players would take over him minus Oweh whom also think is a bust and over hyped.

1 minute ago, OhioColt said:

Mack is still capable of a 1000 yard season.  With our OL we could have dual threat RBs.  At a minimum Mack could lighten the load off Taylor given his injuries.

Am still not overly impressed with his game tape.  Maybe his team made him stop and play coverage rather than bull rush the QB.  Seemed he passed his tackle stats by overseeing and then reacting.  Seen too many where he chased down and assisted tackle 10-15 yards down opposite side of field.

Plenty of other talented Edge players would take over him minus Oweh whom also think is a bust and over hyped.

Mack is also coming off an achilles injury which is not easy to come back from especially as a RB.

Basham impresses me with his hand fighting which not a lot of college players do. They rely mostly on their speed or power which won't work in the NFL. He actually reminds me a lot of Houston.

I don't think Basham goes until the late 2nd round personally. 

I also had two lineman(tackles) in the first four rounds in my mock I did a few weeks ago. It would be ideal as they could compete to replace Castonzo, provide depth, and the other could take over for Glowinski in a year or two. 

Swap TE pick to round 3 with RB. 

On 1/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, CR91 said:

Mack is also coming off an achilles injury which is not easy to come back from especially as a RB.

Basham impresses me with his hand fighting which not a lot of college players do. They rely mostly on their speed or power which won't work in the NFL. He actually reminds me a lot of Houston.

Speed and power don’t work in the NFL for defensive lineman?!?   Huh?    I never got that memo.  

Is that what you meant to say, or am I misunderstanding your meaning?   

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Speed and power don’t work in the NFL for defensive lineman?!?   Huh?    I never got that memo.  

Is that what you meant to say, or am I misunderstanding your meaning?   

I meant it's not gonna work as easily in college. Hand fighting and levrage matter more which Basham has. That was my point.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I meant it's not gonna work as easily in college. Hand fighting and levrage matter more which Basham has. That was my point.

OK......      I'm not speaking to Basham at all.    Have seen zero film on him.

I was only trying to say that DL's using speed and/or power in the NFL have worked since the league began.    PLayers who don't with at least one of them typically don't last long in the NFL.    The ones who can win with both have long, successful careers.

More to the point, our whole defense is built on speed.   Especially on the defensive front.   Look at our DE's.   Houston uses both speed and power.    Autry uses both as he plays DE and DT.   Turay is a speed guy.   Banogu is a speed guy.   Lewis, is a bit like Autry in that he plays both DE and DT.    He's trying to use both to win.    We're trying to find DL who win with their first step.  Get even on step 2,  and pass the OL on step 3.    

Do the D-Lineman need to develop better hand moves -- absolutely.   100 percent.   That's why Ballard says young DL often need 2-3 years to figure things out.    He just noted Jerry Hughes who didn't blossom until Year 4 with Buffalo.   We gave up on him too soon. 

Sorry,  don't mean to belabor the point,  I wanted to read your response before I posted what I needed to say....

Thanks...

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK......      I'm not speaking to Basham at all.    Have seen zero film on him.

I was only trying to say that DL's using speed and/or power in the NFL have worked since the league began.    PLayers who don't with at least one of them typically don't last long in the NFL.    The ones who can win with both have long, successful careers.

More to the point, our whole defense is built on speed.   Especially on the defensive front.   Look at our DE's.   Houston uses both speed and power.    Autry uses both as he plays DE and DT.   Turay is a speed guy.   Banogu is a speed guy.   Lewis, is a bit like Autry in that he plays both DE and DT.    He's trying to use both to win.    We're trying to find DL who win with their first step.  Get even on step 2,  and pass the OL on step 3.    

Do the D-Lineman need to develop better hand moves -- absolutely.   100 percent.   That's why Ballard says young DL often need 2-3 years to figure things out.    He just noted Jerry Hughes who didn't blossom until Year 4 with Buffalo.   We gave up on him too soon. 

Sorry,  don't mean to belabor the point,  I wanted to read your response before I posted what I needed to say....

Thanks...

I'm not saying you don't need speed and/or power. I'm just pointing out college players rely on it too often because it works in college, but then find out without technique their not as efficient.

Archived