Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Diego charger converts

Fluke_33

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You guys are in great hands with Jackson now as long as he stays healthy. He is a top 5 QB in the league.

He has to stay healthy, and also has to make progress as a pocket passer , as the years move on, and you slow down. I do think you have to play to his current strengths right now which is running. You can only worry about the present.  
I know where the Colts are right now because the Ravens have been there many years looking for a franchise QB. The Colts have been very fortunate with Manning and Luck. They were just incredible quarterbacks. Basically when you look at our franchise history, other than Lamar, Flacco was our top QB of all time !!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

He has to stay healthy, and also has to make progress as a pocket passer , as the years move on, and you slow down. I do think you have to play to his current strengths right now which is running. You can only worry about the present.  
I know where the Colts are right now because the Ravens have been there many years looking for a franchise QB. The Colts have been very fortunate with Manning and Luck. They were just incredible quarterbacks. Basically when you look at our franchise history, other than Lamar, Flacco was our top QB of all time !!!

I always thought Flacco was above average to good for the most part. That is all you needed really with Ray, Ed, and Suggs on that Defense. Flacco was actually great during that 2012 playoff run. Dilfer was average at best and got lucky to have the best defense of all-time IMO in 2000.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I always thought Flacco was above average to good for the most part. That is all you needed really with Ray, Ed, and Suggs on that Defense. Flacco was actually great during that 2012 playoff run. Dilfer was average at best and got lucky to have the best defense of all-time IMO in 2000.

I like Flacco. I also think he was average to above average. He really shined in playoff games , and was usually very good against the Patriots. I’m just saying he was the best we had. As far as Trent, I do give him credit even with that great D as I believe we were 5-4 with Tony Banks before he took over and ran the table. Was he the long term fix, no, but Billick and the front office goofed up not bringing him back to see if we could repeat in 2001. Instead we tried the failed Elvis Gerbac experiment. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

I like Flacco. I also think he was average to above average. He really shined in playoff games , and was usually very good against the Patriots. I’m just saying he was the best we had. As far as Trent, I do give him credit even with that great D as I believe we were 5-4 with Tony Banks before he took over and ran the table. Was he the long term fix, no, but Billick and the front office goofed up not bringing him back to see if we could repeat in 2001. Instead we tried the failed Elvis Gerbac experiment. 

Oh yeah, I definitely get your point as you guys never had a Peyton or Luck but your defense was just nasty for a decade. Dilfer wasn't bad, he was roughly average and didn't screw anything up. I forgot about Banks lmao 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, I definitely get your point as you guys never had a Peyton or Luck but your defense was just nasty for a decade. Dilfer wasn't bad, he was roughly average and didn't screw anything up. I forgot about Banks lmao 

It’s brutal without a franchise QB. I grew up with Unitas and Bert Jones. The most effective QB we had before Flacco in 2008, was an older Vinnie Testeverde in the first two  years of the Ravens franchise under Teddy Marchibroda !!!

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It’s brutal without a franchise QB. I grew up with Unitas and Bert Jones. The most effective QB we had before Flacco in 2008, was an older Vinnie Testeverde in the first two  years of the Ravens franchise under Teddy Marchibroda !!!

Yeah luckily you guys had a great defense for years and probably the greatest MLB ever to play in Ray. Flacco was solid but I agree not near Peyton or Luck. You have to be thrilled with Jackson. I hope Rivers comes back for 1 more year until we figure it out for the future. To me Rivers gives me the comfort knowing we will make the playoffs with the team we have.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah luckily you guys had a great defense for years and probably the greatest MLB ever to play in Ray. Flacco was solid but I agree not near Peyton or Luck. You have to be thrilled with Jackson. I hope Rivers comes back for 1 more year until we figure it out for the future. To me Rivers gives me the comfort knowing we will make the playoffs with the team we have.

I think Rivers was a good pick up, and it was a great year for the Colts. The key is if he has another year left in the tank. I would definitely be looking to draft a QB. It is very hard. We wasted a # 10 pick on Kyle Boller. He was just awful. I am happy with Lamar. We have had so many bad offenses in years past , it’s nice to see something exciting for a change. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I think Rivers was a good pick up, and it was a great year for the Colts. The key is if he has another year left in the tank. I would definitely be looking to draft a QB. It is very hard. We wasted a # 10 pick on Kyle Boller. He was just awful. I am happy with Lamar. We have had so many bad offenses in years past , it’s nice to see something exciting for a change. 

I remember Boller, he had a cannon for an arm but never panned out.

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

That was pretty much me in Baltimore, even though it’s been 37 years. You know, things calm down with the passage of time, and you tend to see all sides of things. I’m glad we have the Ravens, and I’m happy the good fans of Indianapolis have a team.   Both are great football towns , great fans, and supported their teams well. 
To me, Evan though Bob Irsay was a horrible owner , and was shopping the team around, Baltimore is at fault also  for not building a stadium , and the ridiculous eminent domain process. There were bad politicians in Baltimore in 1983, and they are no better now. So I get the business side of moving a team. 
I think the worst part of losing a team is when the new city doesn’t create their own colors , logos, or history. It’s almost a cultural appropriation of another cities legacy, horse racing in the case of the Colts, and all the Hall of Famers and Championships that are no longer under your city, or part of a new franchise if you are lucky to get one. 
I know with the Baltimore Orioles , I wish the St Louis Browns were expunged from our records. To me, they belong to the memories of St Louis fans of that era. I’m only concerned with the Oriole era starting in 1954. 
I know why Jim Irsay embraces Baltimore Colts history. He could have sold it back to Art Modell when the Browns went to Baltimore, but he’s a collector. He has collected Baltimore Colts history much like a John Lennon guitar, or a Ringo Starr drum set. His dad bought a nice collection of past Championships and Hall of Fame players, in addition to the franchise.  
This has happened to other cities when an owner buys a franchise, but my main comment is it is the hardest pill to swallow when the city losing a team, loses its legacy and history. We all know it’s big business , but tough for the common fan. 
The city that gains a team, is just happy to have NFL football. You can’t blame the fans. It is what it is. 

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I'm happy you guys have the Ravens now. And I think I speak for all Colts fans when we say thank you for your amazing team! Indy will forever be in your debt for that lol. I would agree though, personally I think instead of the old Browns history, the Ravens should have the Colts history, the Browns should have the Browns history, and the Colts should have started in the 80s.

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I'm happy you guys have the Ravens now. And I think I speak for all Colts fans when we say thank you for your amazing team! Indy will forever be in your debt for that lol

You guys got some great uniforms and logos, that’s for sure !!! It’s better than getting the Cardinals ! LOL 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Agreed. He bleeds blue just like a fan. 

Jim is a good owner, but the greatest owner in Colt’s history is Carroll Rosenbloom. He had an overall record of 226-116 as an owner, with a .660 winning percentage, all time among owners. Under his stewardship, the Colts won NFL titles in 1958, 1959, and 1968, in addition to Super Bowl 5 in 1970. When he traded the Colts for the Rams in 1972, the Rams won seven straight NFC West titles. 
What many people may not know is that he traded the Colts for the Rams to avoid taxes. In the late 70’s when he was married to Georgia Frontierre, he put 70 % of the team in her name to again work the tax code, but he died , and his son Steve Rosenbloom , and the family, lost the team to the gold digger. 
The major mistake the politicos in Baltimore made, was not building a new stadium for Rosenbloom in Baltimore prior to 1972. Hugh Culverhouse was going to buy the Rams when Rosenbloom and Irsay cooked up the franchises trade. It was one of the oddest deals in NFL history, and you all know the rest of the story. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

Jim is a good owner, but the greatest owner in Colt’s history is Carroll Rosenbloom. He had an overall record of 226-116 as an owner, with a .660 winning percentage, all time among owners. Under his stewardship, the Colts won NFL titles in 1958, 1959, and 1968, in addition to Super Bowl 5 in 1970. When he traded the Colts for the Rams in 1972, the Rams won seven straight NFC West titles. 
What many people may not know is that he traded the Colts for the Rams to avoid taxes. In the late 70’s when he was married to Georgia Frontierre, he put 70 % of the team in her name to again work the tax code, but he died , and his son Steve Rosenbloom , and the family, lost the team to the gold digger. 
The major mistake the politicos in Baltimore made, was not building a new stadium for Rosenbloom in Baltimore prior to 1972. Hugh Culverhouse was going to buy the Rams when Rosenbloom and Irsay cooked up the franchises trade. It was one of the oddest deals in NFL history, and you all know the rest of the story. 

I knew they traded but wasn’t aware of the reasons why.  I read the strange story of the location of the Super Bowl 5 trophy.  It’s supposedly still with the rosenblooms and a copy is in the babe Ruth museum in Baltimore?  Or maybe a third copy with irrational?  I don’t remember it fully.  

would you admit that George Steinbrenner is the greatest baseball owner? You don’t need to answer that one!  Lol. I’m just teasing you.  

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I knew they traded but wasn’t aware of the reasons why.  I read the strange story of the location of the Super Bowl 5 trophy.  It’s supposedly still with the rosenblooms and a copy is in the babe Ruth museum in Baltimore?  Or maybe a third copy with irrational?  I don’t remember it fully.  

would you admit that George Steinbrenner is the greatest baseball owner? You don’t need to answer that one!  Lol. I’m just teasing you.  

The Georgia Frontiere family has the original Super Bowl 5 trophy. George got some good results, but the owner of the Yankees during the Babe Ruth era was better ! LOL 

Archived