Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Diego charger converts

Fluke_33

To the San Diego charger fans that have been colts fans because of river:

I believe he returns but if he doesn’t will you remain a colts fan?  I think you should.  This is a great organization with a top notch fanbase.  We can always use more and I hope you do.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I believe he returns but if he doesn’t will you remain a colts fan?  I think you should.  This is a great organization with a top notch fanbase.  We can always use more and I hope you do.  

I wonder how many Colt fans became Bronco fans because of Manning ? To me , it’s kind of strange to follow a new team because of a player. I know I didn’t become a Charger fan when Unitas went to SD. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I wonder how many Colt fans became Bronco fans because of Manning ? To me , it’s kind of strange to follow a new team because of a player. I know I didn’t become a Charger fan when Unitas went to SD. 

I think it’s the combo or primarily of the team leaving sd for la and how it was done.   

8 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I understand this sentiment.

I do know when Manning went to Denver I was rooting for them, clearly not in front of Colts but if the Colts weren't winning it all I was pulling for Denver.

I think the 2 situations are different though. The (SD) Chargers fans had their team taken out of their city and relocated while losing their QB 

I hope they stay as well, but Chargers do have Herbert, so Im sure while most was here rooting for Rivers, they were still rooting for the (LA) Chargers as well.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I understand this sentiment.

I do know when Manning went to Denver I was rooting for them, clearly not in front of Colts but if the Colts weren't winning it all I was pulling for Denver.

I think the 2 situations are different though. The (SD) Chargers fans had their team taken out of their city and relocated while losing their QB 

I hope they stay as well, but Chargers do have Herbert, so Im sure while most was here rooting for Rivers, they were still rooting for the (LA) Chargers as well.

That is true, with the move from SD to LA. I know not many fans followed the Colts from Maryland to Indiana because it was as different as night and day between the two areas. 
I wonder if it’s a bit different as they are moving in state , and are still in SoCal. 
I know people in Baltimore and Northern Maryland follow the Wizards and Capitols , even though the Baltimore Bullets left in the early 70’s. However, they are the only pro NBA and NHL teams. 
I do think more Baltimore Colt fans didn’t watch the NFL for 12 years as far as rooting interests, a few went to Indy, more went to Pittsburgh, but no one wanted anything to do with the Redskins especially after the shenanigans Jack Kent Cooke and Taglibue pulled. It’s always interesting for fans when a franchise or all time player moves on. 

16 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I remain a Manning fan. When he was playing, I wanted his team to win. I never rooted for the Broncos, didn't follow their team's makeup, coaching, drafting, etc. I just wanted Peyton to keep winning at whatever he was up to. I still do.

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

I remain a Manning fan. When he was playing, I wanted his team to win. I never rooted for the Broncos, didn't follow their team's makeup, coaching, drafting, etc. I just wanted Peyton to keep winning at whatever he was up to. I still do.

Keep your heads up Guys. I hope you guys continue to get better next year. Is Rivers staying? 

Just now, Dogg63 said:

I get that. I think it’s easier to follow, and wish an all time favorite player well, as long as he doesn’t interfere with your team winning. You still respect and follow the guys career, but it’s not the same as when he was on your team. 
My all time example is Hall of Fame Baltimore Orioles pitcher Mike Mussina . He was a fan favorite and played for the Orioles for 10 years. He could have went anywhere, but he went to the hated Yankees. I know it was a business choice, and he had every right to do it, but I’m coming from a fans perspective. 
Anyway, he played eight years for the Yankees , and went into the Hall of Fame with no logo on his cap. Oriole fans have mixed feelings about him to this day, and there is no statue for him outside Camden Yards like other Oriole Hall of Famers. 
That is an extreme example , but I even have mixed feelings about Mussina today. 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

He could have went anywhere, but he went to the hated Yankees.

Great point, Crow. If Peyton had gone to the Pats, I would've faced quite a dilemma. And to be honest, there's no way I could have rooted for him in a Pats uniform. And it would have tarnished his legacy in my eyes. Glad that didn't happen!

Just now, Dogg63 said:

Great point, Crow. If Peyton had gone to the Pats, I would've faced quite a dilemma. And to be honest, there's no way I could have rooted for him in a Pats uniform. And it would have tarnished his legacy in my eyes. Glad that didn't happen!

It’s definitely tough. I think it would have been easier on Colt fans if Manning would have gone to the NFC, like Brady did. 
I know as a Ravens fan, I’m no fan of Denver. Like you guys, I totally respect Manning as an all time great. It’s not like Yankees- Orioles, or NE- Colts, but Denver is a little too close to home in the AFC. 
I think my deal would be I like Peyton , and wish him well when he gets to retirement. I don’t wish him ill, but I don’t want Denver to do well. As it was, Manning made bungling, and Colts traitor John Elway ,look good for a few years as a GM. Manning was a life line out of his Tim Tebow purgatory. 

I am a charger fan born and raised going back to the early 60's in San Diego.  But like most fans, I have other favorite teams.  The Joe Namath jets, and the Don Shula Colts.  I never liked it when the Colts move to Indy.   Sorry but thats the truth.  But I don't like ANY teams moving.

Teams I hate: Patriots, Eagles, Chiefs(just their fans ;>)., Steelers....actually.....its always the fans of the teams that turn me off :>)

Anyway..it was easy for me to root for the Colts.

I especially love the uniforms and how they have not changed that much.

I am in LA now.  So I have both the Chargers and the Rams to root for.  As soon as this Covid gets over, I cannot wait to go to that new stadium.

42 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

i think they just picked a new superstar QB to follow .  when manning left i noticed posters here who posted regularly leave and go on the broncos forum full time with the same screen name while never posting again on here .   Then when manning retired they left the broncos board and never returned .    I never understood just being a fan of a player and not a team . Do you just pick the best QB in the nfl at the time when he is young and follow him until he retires then repeat ?  It seems like the same thing as changing teams every year.  I understand if a player you like leaves your team and you support him until he retires but to leave your team and just be a fan of the player i dont get , i could never switch teams once i am involved already.

1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I don’t think I will stick around when Rivers leaves. 

The hatred directed at Rivers by so many Colts fans has really saddened me and left a bad taste in my mouth.  

I’m sorry to hear that but there’s a lot of positive posts for rivers too.  You’ll find that with any player. 

what team will you follow?

53 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

That is true, with the move from SD to LA. I know not many fans followed the Colts from Maryland to Indiana because it was as different as night and day between the two areas. 
I wonder if it’s a bit different as they are moving in state , and are still in SoCal. 
I know people in Baltimore and Northern Maryland follow the Wizards and Capitols , even though the Baltimore Bullets left in the early 70’s. However, they are the only pro NBA and NHL teams. 
I do think more Baltimore Colt fans didn’t watch the NFL for 12 years as far as rooting interests, a few went to Indy, more went to Pittsburgh, but no one wanted anything to do with the Redskins especially after the shenanigans Jack Kent Cooke and Taglibue pulled. It’s always interesting for fans when a franchise or all time player moves on. 

My brother & I remained colt fans when they moved from Baltimore to indy. But we live in Florida so it wasn't like our home team left us and our city.

And man that was mostly a long, frustrating period from Bert Jones era to Peyton. 

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

My brother & I remained colt fans when they moved from Baltimore to indy. But we live in Florida so it wasn't like our home team left us and our city.

And man that was mostly a long, frustrating period from Bert Jones era to Peyton. 

Most Baltimore Colt fans that followed them from Indy weren’t from Baltimore for sure. I know a guy I worked with who lived in Indiana , but was a Baltimore Colts fan because of Raymond Berry. When they moved, it worked for him. We were just too close to all the drama in Baltimore. 
If I did watch the NFL, it was to follow Terp’s like Boomer Eisiason in Cincy, but I was never a Bengals fan. It was basically no NFL until the Ravens came. 
I often wonder if Irsay wouldn’t have hired Frank Kush, would Elway have played in Baltimore ? I know the Colts were a hot mess with Bob Irsay at that time, but it seemed like Jack Elway really hated Kush. Irsay got totally hosed in that trade with Denver. That’s another reason I don’t like Denver and Elway, it’s the other half of my heart that was a Baltimore Colt’s fan long ago. 

37 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

The hatred directed at Rivers by so many Colts fans has really saddened me and left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Thats because you have watched rivers his whole career.  I was the same way when manning left on the broncos board so i understand .  Now that the shoe is on the other foot i understand why the broncos fans acted the way they did .   Now that the season is over and emotions are gone i will admit rivers was a good pick up .  I was just bias after watching manning and luck . I wanted our on home grown QB from the draft , and i took it out on rivers for no reason . I think once rivers really retires in 2022 colts fans will truly respect rivers and love him like you guys do . 

35 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I’m sorry to hear that but there’s a lot of positive posts for rivers too.  You’ll find that with any player. 

what team will you follow?

I’m talking more about Twitter and Reddit, not so much this forum. 

But how come we don’t have ten threads crucifying Rodrigo and questioning who should be kicker next year?

I will likely go back to rooting for Chargers full time. This year I actually followed Colts more closely and was more invested in their season. 

4 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

But how come we don’t have ten threads crucifying Rodrigo and questioning who should be kicker next year?

I will likely go back to rooting for Chargers full time. This year I actually followed Colts more closely and was more invested in their season. 

because the QB always gets the blame even if they played well .  The problem is you were not here during the manning years  it got brutal on manning on the colts fans youtube pages during some playoff loses . colts fans called him a choker and called for him to be replaced  .  even local media thrashed him so bad . rivers is getting off easy compared to manning .

12 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

rivers carried the offense yesterday looking back 300 yards 2 touchdowns . i was wrong and a big hater of rivers looking back he shut me up . i venting yesterday at rivers for no reason and was dead wrong . the bills are the best most complete team in the nfl right now ,if the colts only lost by 3 points and missed a chip shot field goal and pittman dropped a touchdown colts could of won by 17 points . this shows me the colts next year will be better when cambell who was supposed to be the number 1 wr comes back mack comes back and we upgrade our wrs and corners in the draft .  i think rivers will go out next year like manning and it was meant to be .

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

What did Jack Kent Cooke and Taglibue do? Tried to block Baltimore from getting another team? 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

What did Jack Kent Cooke and Taglibue do? Tried to block Baltimore from getting another team? 

Definitely. They both steered the expansion to Charlotte and Jacksonville. Taglibue told us afterward to build a museum. Cooke put his stadium in Landover , so Baltimore would be his territory. Both tried to block us from getting a team. We should have gotten an expansion team. Had that happened, the Cleveland mess would never have happened. We didn’t want to get a team that way. 

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I live near Denver, and I never became a Bronco fan.  I was always a fan of Manning, and he's the reason I became a Colts fan,  but once  I chose the Colts,  they have been my team. 

16 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Definitely. They both steered the expansion to Charlotte and Jacksonville. Taglibue told us afterward to build a museum. Cooke put his stadium in Landover , so Baltimore would be his territory. Both tried to block us from getting a team. We should have gotten an expansion team. Had that happened, the Cleveland mess would never have happened. We didn’t want to get a team that way. 

Thanks!  I was only 8 when that happened so I wasn’t aware of all the political fallout and nuances around the Colts leaving. I just knew I wasn’t about to become a Skins fan. Lol. 

23 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Thanks!  I was only 8 when that happened so I wasn’t aware of all the political fallout and nuances around the Colts leaving. I just knew I wasn’t about to become a Skins fan. Lol. 

I don’t blame you. Funny, I never disliked the Senators or Nationals in baseball, but I never liked the Redskins. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

rivers carried the offense yesterday looking back 300 yards 2 touchdowns . i was wrong and a big hater of rivers looking back he shut me up . i venting yesterday at rivers for no reason and was dead wrong . the bills are the best most complete team in the nfl right now ,if the colts only lost by 3 points and missed a chip shot field goal and pittman dropped a touchdown colts could of won by 17 points . this shows me the colts next year will be better when cambell who was supposed to be the number 1 wr comes back mack comes back and we upgrade our wrs and corners in the draft .  i think rivers will go out next year like manning and it was meant to be .

I just don't see it. I now believe Philip is just cursed. Seriously, no matter how talented this team was, the EXACT same thing happened that always happened with the Bolts. I mean, look at this list.

* Taking the OBVIOUS bait and jumping offside on a 4th down attempt to draw them offside, leading to a TD instead of a field goal attempt.

* Numerous dropped passes, especially by normally reliable backs on routine dump offs with tons of open space in front of them, each of which could have led to additional points.

* I don't know how many runs right on the goal line that were either stuffed or lost yards, and against a team that was horrible at stopping the run this year, to boot, most of which cost additional points.

* The return of Rodrigo Clankenship - 3 points lost there.

* And even the refs getting in on the incompetence, allowing the clock to run before the snap on the play following a time out, without stopping or correcting it, at the end of the game.

That's exactly EVERY playoff game Philip had with the Bolts. Stupidity abounding all around him. It's apparently destined to follow him wherever he goes, no matter the talent on his team. So you'll understand if I can't bring myself to believe it will ever be different now. As far as I'm concerned, I now wish he would just retire and move on.

1 hour ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I just don't see it. I now believe Philip is just cursed. Seriously, no matter how talented this team was, the EXACT same thing happened that always happened with the Bolts. I mean, look at this list.

* Taking the OBVIOUS bait and jumping offside on a 4th down attempt to draw them offside, leading to a TD instead of a field goal attempt.

* Numerous dropped passes, especially by normally reliable backs on routine dump offs with tons of open space in front of them, each of which could have led to additional points.

* I don't know how many runs right on the goal line that were either stuffed or lost yards, and against a team that was horrible at stopping the run this year, to boot, most of which cost additional points.

* The return of Rodrigo Clankenship - 3 points lost there.

* And even the refs getting in on the incompetence, allowing the clock to run before the snap on the play following a time out, without stopping or correcting it, at the end of the game.

That's exactly EVERY playoff game Philip had with the Bolts. Stupidity abounding all around him. It's apparently destined to follow him wherever he goes, no matter the talent on his team. So you'll understand if I can't bring myself to believe it will ever be different now. As far as I'm concerned, I now wish he would just retire and move on.

If he does retire Will you follow the colts then or another team?

This perspective is from a life long Bolts fan since 1960.

When Rivers retires from the Colts, I will no longer wish the Colts well.

On the contrary, you are AFC opponents who stand in the way of the ring. I mean no disrespect but .... it is what it is.

It is hard enough watching a Chargers team with the shades drawn as though "Chester The Molester" was watching and whose team was ripped away from San Diego.

I am old enough to remember dropping back in my back yard saying "I am Johnny Unitas" ..... throwing a Super Bowl winning TD. Too bad Unitas sucked by the time he got to the Chargers and then we had Dan Fouts who started out just as bad but not for long.

You can not help but root for a dude like Philip Rivers and I am bummed the Chargers never got him a ring. He deserves it and it was a pleasure watching him.

So the answer is "NO" ..... I will NOT root for the Colts after Philip Rivers leaves.

9 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Trust a brother when I tell you San Diego HATES anything Los Angeles.

San Diego has always been treated like a " step child compared to Los Angeles. I was born in San Diego County (Oceanside) so I speak from experience. San Diego Chargers fans were CRUSHED by the move to Los Angeles. Some may think "hey no big deal with a 90 mile move North" ... WRONG .... The fan base basically said FU and will continue to do so until the team is sold to new ownership.

1 hour ago, Trumpet_Man said:

This perspective is from a life long Bolts fan since 1960.

When Rivers retires from the Colts, I will no longer wish the Colts well.

On the contrary, you are AFC opponents who stand in the way of the ring. I mean no disrespect but .... it is what it is.

It is hard enough watching a Chargers team with the shades drawn as though "Chester The Molester" was watching and whose team was ripped away from San Diego.

I am old enough to remember dropping back in my back yard saying "I am Johnny Unitas" ..... throwing a Super Bowl winning TD. Too bad Unitas sucked by the time he got to the Chargers and then we had Dan Fouts who started out just as bad but not for long.

You can not help but root for a dude like Philip Rivers and I am bummed the Chargers never got him a ring. He deserves it and it was a pleasure watching him.

So the answer is "NO" ..... I will NOT root for the Colts after Philip Rivers leaves.

Appreciate the brutal honesty and fully understand!  Lol. 

15 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yes, because all of the Colts I hear interviewed seem so well behaved.

This Colts team was the best  Rivers had since January 2007, when the Chargers should have beaten NE, then certainly would have beaten the Colts, in San Diego, and then certainly would have beaten the Bears in Miami with Prince singing Purple Rain.

That Chargers loss to NE rivals the Denny Green meltdown loss to the Bears as the most sickening losses I can remember, when the wrong team(s) won, with no cosmic justice.

14 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

If the Colts had signed Brady....I would end my 4+ decade fandom for the Colts. Instantly.....and forever.

14 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Your choice. I would add that those same fans, * me off as a Colts fan so don't take it personal. They have no respect for most anything. My guess is that Chargers have the same kind of fan. 

For what it's worth. 

I followed Denver/Manning, and cheered for them as much as the Colts. If they were to play each other, I wouldn't really hope either side lost, more I'd cheer for the one who had the best chances of winning it all if it were late in the season. I had a PM Denver jersey. Never had a Luck jersey. And I'll always hold Peyton much higher than any previous Colts QB. I'm liking Rivers a lot right now, and hope he comes back.

Some of the LAC fans that post are great, so hope they stick around. Herbert is good, and they should also be excited about their future. 

Born and raised in SD.  Was always a Chargers fan.  Watched almost all of Rivers games.  I hated the move to LA, but at that point I’d been so invested in Rivers I couldn’t walk away.  When Chargers let him walk I bailed on them and decided to be a fan of whichever team he landed(with huge hopes he’d be a colt).  

I said to myself if he finally got his ring with Colts, they’d hold a spot in my heart and I’d continue being a fan.   Although that didn’t happen, watching this year has made me grow to like the team as a whole.  

I live in AZ now, so decided to dual fan it this year with AZ and Indy.  Was very happy how this season turned out, even though it wasn’t exactly what I hoped. I really hope he comes back next year, but if not, I can see myself still watching the team to see how they move on from him.  

20 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Not me. When Manning went to the Broncos, I hoped they would lose every game. As long as Elway is still involved, I still hope that.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I followed Denver/Manning, and cheered for them as much as the Colts. If they were to play each other, I wouldn't really hope either side lost, more I'd cheer for the one who had the best chances of winning it all if it were late in the season. I had a PM Denver jersey. Never had a Luck jersey. And I'll always hold Peyton much higher than any previous Colts QB. I'm liking Rivers a lot right now, and hope he comes back.

Some of the LAC fans that post are great, so hope they stick around. Herbert is good, and they should also be excited about their future. 

I will always be a fan of Peyton. Great player and leader; even a better man. And I pulled for him with the Broncos to get that 2nd ring. But when playing the Colts? Nope. Colts all the way, every day. 

Archived