Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 Regular Season Win Rates - you might be surprised...

EastStreet

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

Again, if he is to be credited with the success of an o-line that he worked with for less than one offseason (hired in January 2018- Nelson, Smith drafted in May) then he can be credited with a bad o-lines woes for two months... 

I just think it is ludicrous that he is the one getting credit instead of you know, the 3 first round and 1 second round draft picks.. one of which could go down as the greatest offensive lineman ever. Guess what, ol’ Dave isn’t the reason... He will be a blip on their careers when it is all said and done. He was certainly one on castonzo’s. 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind the Pats won the SB in 2014. And in 2015, the OL was ravaged by injuries (Solder wasn't the only casualty), and the Pats were still 12-4. Injuries caught up with them late that season, but they started the season 10-0.

I think I found it but it’s the opposite of what I thought:

Fundamentals and technique are key to the changes Strausser and Mudd are bringing to the Colts offense, a significant shift in philosophy. Mudd believes in the jump set, an aggressive style of pass blocking that requires offensive linemen to attack and get their hands on defensive linemen as soon as possible, rather than a vertical set, which asks linemen to drop back and time their punch at the top of a defender’s rush.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/05/23/indianapolis-colts-howard-mudd-chris-strausser-quenton-nelson-anthony-castonzo-ryan-kelly/1204512001/

Guge’s resume

New York Giants (2004–2008)

Assistant offensive line and quality control coach

Miami Dolphins (2009–2011)

Offensive line coach

New York Jets (2012)

Offensive line coach

New England Patriots (2014–2015)

Offensive line coach

San Diego Chargers (2016)

Assistant offensive line coach

Miami Dolphins (2017)

Offensive line coach

Indianapolis Colts (2018)

Offensive line coach

Miami Dolphins (2019)

Offensive line coach

New York Giants (2020–present)

Offensive line coach

As a business owner, I would have looked at this, and never even reached out to the references... Surprised Ballard allowed a coach that didn’t sign on the dotted line to convince him to hiring this guy. Glad he did with Eberflus but this should have been a red flag. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Again, if he is to be credited with the success of an o-line that he worked with for less than one offseason (hired in January 2018- Nelson, Smith drafted in May) then he can be credited with a bad o-lines woes for two months... 

Here's what he did in 2018.....

• Ryan Kelly went from a 60.4 rating in 2017, to a 74.5 rating in 2018. That's a huge step.
  • Picked a guy everyone called a G (Smith) to start at RT.... You said you would have stuck with Good, who rated 56.7 this year.... Smith has averaged about an 80 PFF the last two years......
  • Replaced RG Slausen with a waiver guy Mark Glowinski who graded out at 52.8 in 2017, and turned him into a guy who rated 77.7 in 2018... Probably the best "weak link" on any team in the NFL... 

So in short, took an OL with very average guys returning, elevated the C to an almost elite level, took a guard and made him into one of the best RTs in the game, and took a waiver guy and made him into a great RG. 

And from a macro level, took the 25th ranked OL in 2017, and after 5 weeks of musical chairs to begin the 2018 season, turned them into the 3rd ranked OL in 2018. 

But hey, he didn't do anything.... lol..

25 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I started looking for articles but found this tidbit for today:

With two hires in the books, Reich has only one spot on his staff left to fill. DeGuglielmo’s assistant, Bobby Johnson, left to become the offensive line coach in Buffalo. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/29/indianapolis-colts-hire-chris-stausser-coach-line-jason-michael-tight-ends-dave-deguglielmo/2713260002/

Thanks my friend. I'll give it a read when my coffee gets done! Or halftime lol... 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's what he did in 2018.....

• Ryan Kelly went from a 60.4 rating in 2017, to a 74.5 rating in 2018. That's a huge step.
  • Picked a guy everyone called a G (Smith) to start at RT.... You said you would have stuck with Good, who rated 56.7 this year.... Smith has averaged about an 80 PFF the last two years......
  • Replaced RG Slausen with a waiver guy Mark Glowinski who graded out at 52.8 in 2017, and turned him into a guy who rated 77.7 in 2018... Probably the best "weak link" on any team in the NFL... 

So in short, took an OL with very average guys returning, elevated the C to an almost elite level, took a guard and made him into one of the best RTs in the game, and took a waiver guy and made him into a great RG. 

And from a macro level, took the 25th ranked OL in 2017, and after 5 weeks of musical chairs to begin the 2018 season, turned them into the 3rd ranked OL in 2018. 

But hey, he didn't do anything.... lol..

yeah and the all world #6 draft pick had nothing to do with the bump in the center’s performance. Geez. 

quote me on when I said Good should have started over Smith. I will wait. You just continue putting words in my mouth.

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yeah and the all world #6 draft pick had nothing to do with the bump in the center’s performance. Geez. 

quote me on when I said Good should have started over Smith. I will wait. You just continue putting words in my mouth.

You're reaching. So no comment on him picking a 2nd round guy everyone said was a guard who turned into a an incredible RT? Or no comment on him picking a waiver guy to fill the RG spot???

As far as Good, you said Guge got fired for passing over Good, and said "rightfully so". Not sure how else to interpret it??? Here's your quote

passing over Good I assume is what you are referring to. It is what got him fired and rightfully so. He’s a trash human. No place for him in this organization and thank God Ballard/Frank quickly decided he was a cancer. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're reaching. So no comment on him picking a 2nd round guy everyone said was a guard who turned into a an incredible RT? Or no comment on him picking a waiver guy to fill the RG spot???

As far as Good, you said Guge got fired for passing over Good, and said "rightfully so". Not sure how else to interpret it??? Here's your quote

poor wording on my part on Good. He wasn’t fired for passing on him which is what you suggest and I ignorantly (and unintentionally) agreed on. He was fired for being a * to Good after his brother was murdered... and Good wanted out of a bad culture. 

Ballard brought those guys in. Smith was brought in as a guard but with the understanding that he could be a very good tackle. He has the body type and strength to be either position on the right side of the line. They moved him to tackle out of necessity. But guge gets the credit? Jesus, you are on it. I mean they even switched scheme and Smith consistently has gotten better... but it’s all because of that first few months with Guge.! Ha

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

poor wording on my part on Good. He wasn’t fired for passing on him which is what you suggest and I ignorantly (and unintentionally) agreed on. He was fired for being a * to Good after his brother was murdered... and Good wanted out of a bad culture. 

Balled brought those guys in. Smith was brought in as a guard but with the understanding that he could be a very good tackle. Guge gets all the credit thoufh... 

You can argue about Guge being a bad person, but it's intellectually dishonest to diminish what he did in 2018 as a coach... 

So now I didn't put words in your mouth. But somehow you agreed with me, and now take it back... OK... geesh. Situation aside (with Good), it was absolutely a great decision to move Smith from RG to RT, over Good. And there's two sides to that story. And keep in mind, Good was waived by the team later in the year, not by Guge. He just wasn't that good. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You can argue about Guge being a bad person, but it's intellectually dishonest to diminish what he did in 2018 as a coach... 

So now I didn't put words in your mouth. But somehow you agreed with me, and now take it back... OK... geesh. Situation aside (with Good), it was absolutely a great decision to move Smith from RG to RT, over Good. And there's two sides to that story. And keep in mind, Good was waived by the team later in the year, not by Guge. He just wasn't that good. 

I don’t diminish what he did in 2018. I don’t think he was solely to credit and certainly not 2 years later... 

good was asked to be released and was picked up on waivers by the raiders, whom he started for... We didn’t waive him because he was bad. 

there may be two sides the story but Guge’s reputation and resume speak for itself... 

33 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t diminish what he did in 2018. I don’t think he was solely to credit and certainly not 2 years later... 

good was asked to be released and was picked up on waivers by the raiders, whom he started for... We didn’t waive him because he was bad. 

there may be two sides the story but Guge’s reputation and resume speak for itself... 

All you've done is diminish what he did. You even tried to blame him NYG's poor OL when the guy just got hired. You ought to take a walk back through this exchange. 

Good was unhappy he got passed over, and he saw Smith killing it. He knew he would get another shot. If he was that unhappy with the "incident" with Guge, he would have asked to be released at the time it happened. He started with LVR because they had a horrible OL. And by the way, he's now at G.

Guge is known as a hard axx and a throwback personality... Much like Harry Heistand. BTW, Harry is the one who instilled nasty in Q... 

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

look at how soft this offensive line is

LOL, and that's your argument about Guge... A tweet of one play. I can find some of those from 2018

BTW, who are the guys blowing folks off the ball and making the hole. Looks like Glow and Smith.... who Guge chose. Thanks for that. lol

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, and that's your argument about Guge... A tweet of one play. I can find some of those from 2018

BTW, who are the guys blowing folks off the ball and making the hole. Looks like Glow and Smith.... who Guge chose. Thanks for that. lol

that’s not an argument about guge pal. That’s an argument that you said we are soft...  yeah Ballrd guys actually. And guys that are developing just fine without Guge

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I’ve tried to stay out of this... 

Where is the roof that Guge choose Glow and Smith?    I’d like to see that.

Glow was a Dodds-Ballard call.  He came from Seattle where Dodds came from.   And Smith was a scouts-Ballard call.   I’ve never seen Guge’s name linked to either.    Is there a story to link?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve tried to stay out of this... 

Where is the roof that Guge choose Glow and Smith?    I’d like to see that.

Glow was a Dodds-Ballard call.  He came from Seattle where Dodds came from.   And Smith was a scouts-Ballard call.   I’ve never seen Guge’s name linked to either.    Is there a story to link?

Guge chose to replace Slausen with Glow, and turned him into a 70s graded guy from a 50s graded guy. 

Guge chose to play Smith at RT when everyone said he was a guard.

He didn't sign them, but he did chose them to start......

Looks like you're back to your captious self.... 

12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

that’s not an argument about guge pal. That’s an argument that you said we are soft...  yeah Ballrd guys actually. And guys that are developing just fine without Guge

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I said we weren't as nasty and have taken a bit of step back. And a lot of folks have made that same comment. 

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Guge chose to replace Slausen with Glow, and turned him into a 70s graded guy from a 50s graded guy. 

Guge chose to play Smith at RT when everyone said he was a guard.

He didn't sign them, but he did chose them to start......

Looks like you're back to your captious self.... 

No..    not really.   

What you want to throw flowers at him over is simply called doing his job.    Slauson got hurt.   Glow was the next man up.   And Smith got moved because we were out of decent options.   Smith was the next best choice.   Wow!  Amazing!

Despite your feeble attempt to twist my words, I’m not arguing Guges didn’t do a good job, he clearly did.    Guges wasn’t let go due to performance.   He was let go because he clearly has a problem working well with other people.   Look at his resume.   He lasts a year or two and wears out his welcome.    It’s happened every where he’s been.  A year or two and then gone.   What does that say that despite doing a good job, he’s shown the door?   Even at New England which welcomes hard coaching. 

His track record is a long enough pattern that there shouldn’t be any doubt. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No..    not really.   

What you want to throw flowers at him over is simply called doing his job.    Slauson got hurt.   Glow was the next man up.   And Smith got moved because we were out of decent options.   Smith was the next best choice.   Wow!  Amazing!

Despite your feeble attempt to twist my words, I’m not arguing Guges didn’t do a good job, he clearly did.    Guges wasn’t let go due to performance.   He was let go because he clearly has a problem working well with other people.   Look at his resume.   He lasts a year or two and wears out his welcome.    It’s happened every where he’s been.  A year or two and then gone.   What does that say that despite doing a good job, he’s shown the door?   Even at New England which welcomes hard coaching. 

His track record is a long enough pattern that there shouldn’t be any doubt. 

Nobody is arguing Guge is a good person. 

We had several options at RT. Good being one, Haeg, and Webb. He chose Smith going against the grain.

He chose Glow over all several of options. Haeg and Smith, and also Good who is now playing G.

None of those were easy no-brainer choices. 

No one is twisting your words, you're just being your typical argumentative self. 

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nobody is arguing Guge is a good person. 

We had several options at RT. Good being one, Haeg, and Webb. He chose Smith going against the grain.

He chose Glow over all several of options. Haeg and Smith, and also Good who is now playing G.

None of those were easy no-brainer choices. 

No one is twisting your words, you're just being your typical argumentative self. 

No..   you’re trying to puff up Guge’s because you didn’t like the decision to let him go.   

You know...  the same old story...   you’re smarter than Reich.   You’re smarter than Ballard.   It is as it always is.   You think you’re the smartest guy in the room.   Just look at this thread — YOU’RE the guy arguing with everyone, even during the game.   You couldn’t sit back and enjoy the game.  Because there was something more important... 

You!  Have!  To!  Be!  Right!   ALWAYS!!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No..   you’re trying to puff up Guge’s because you didn’t like the decision to let him go.   

You know...  the same old story...   you’re smarter than Reich.   You’re smarter than Ballard.   It is as it always is.   You think you’re the smartest guy in the room.   Just look at this thread — YOU’RE the guy arguing with everyone, even during the game.   You couldn’t sit back and enjoy the game.  Because there was something more important... 

You!  Have!  To!  Be!  Right!   ALWAYS!!

I wouldn't care a bit if the OL hadn't regressed. 

I don't care about Guge at all. I just recognize what he did in 18.

Same old story. You're still bottom hurt because I factually called you out a few years ago, and you like to dip into debates I'm having with other posters. 

How many folks have mentioned the changes with the OL. A lot. 

I watched the game just fine. Had 3 TVs going. One over the air so I could get 3 second advance, one over cable so I could rewind, and one on the porch so I could enjoy a Cuban cigar and not miss anything. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't care a bit if the OL hadn't regressed. 

I don't care about Guge at all. I just recognize what he did in 18.

Same old story. You're still bottom hurt because I factually called you out a few years ago, and you like to dip into debates I'm having with other posters. 

How many folks have mentioned the changes with the OL. A lot. 

I watched the game just fine. Had 3 TVs going. One over the air so I could get 3 second advance, one over cable so I could rewind, and one on the porch so I could enjoy a Cuban cigar and not miss anything. 

We’ve all been talking about the OL all season long.   This isn’t ground breaking territory.   But you had to bring it up again today.   I actually agree with you, the line isn’t as good as it was in 18.   But it’s still very good.   It’s just not great.  

Here’s a free tip:  highly doubtful that Guge’s is coming back.  I never say never, but....

As for the other usual nonsense?   You called me out a few years ago?    LOL, when don’t you call me out?   We agree on very little. 
Not even sure we can agree that today is Saturday?   I’m sure you have Next Gen stats that say otherwise.   But none of it matters.  I’d have to respect you to care what you think.   

MY!  My!   You LOVE you some you!!     :thmup:

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’ve all been talking about the OL all season long.   This isn’t ground breaking territory.   But you had to bring it up again today.   I actually agree with you, the line isn’t as good as it was in 18.   But it’s still very good.   It’s just not great.  

Here’s a free tip:  highly doubtful that Guge’s is coming back.  I never say never, but....

As for the other usual nonsense?   You called me out a few years ago?    LOL, when don’t you call me out?   We agree on very little. 
Not even sure we can agree that today is Saturday?   I’m sure you have Next Gen stats that say otherwise.   But none of it matters.  I’d have to respect you to care what you think.   

MY!  My!   You LOVE you some you!!     :thmup:

I rarely reply to your post. You however feel the need to chime into my replies like now.... So like I've said a hundred times, feel free to ignore my posts... feel free not to chime in.... I didn't create any interaction with you.

I'm not asking for Guge to come back. I've actually asked simple questions to understand potential scheme changes from awalker, before I form an absolute opinion. 

Archived