Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's First 2021 Mock Off-Season

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d counter that by saying he wasn’t accurate on his short to intermediate throws and much as he was accurate because most of his throws were low risk short to mid range throws. Also his weapons were very good as opposed to someone like Jordan Love who completed passes despite his receivers not being able to separate consistently.

I’m not saying Eason is succession Plan A. I’m just saying that why give up on Eason to draft a guy who is probably around the same skill set? If Trask had the same final year that Eason had in college, no one would be saying draft him in the 1st. If you’re going to draft a succession plan for QB, you’d be better off seeing if Lance falls or going for Jamie Newman in the 2nd-3rd round.

Fair enough.  I watched another game recently where Trask’s accuracy was a little less consistent.  I’ll keep watching tape of him and Mac Jones, bc they’re the two that could go in our range.  However, I remain pretty high on the notion of drafting one of those two.  Nothing derails a football team’s playoff chances more than poor QB play, and we have too good a roster to be in position to draft a sure-fire franchise QB in the next few years.  I’d feel like one of these two guys competing with Eason in two years for the starting spot might be a good plan.  I can see that some prefer the addition of an aging or discarded QB, and that could work.  Worked for Tennessee, Indy, and TB recently,  but not really for Carolina or NE...

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

On 12/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, Archer said:

Definitely over-thought for this early in the process.  But here's my thoughts:

According to back-of-the-envelope calculations, we can 1) bring back Rivers, Hilton, Houston, Autry, Muhammed, Cox, Pascal, and Odum, 2) let Brissett, Hooker, Rhodes, Mack, Walker, Burton, Clark, Green, Carrie, and Stallworth walk, and 3) sign Cincinnati CB William Jackson III to net to about $1.5 million less than what we spent against the cap this year.  Turns out ditching Brissett’s $21 million cap hit opens up the re-signing of a lot of players.  And Ballard doesn’t mind paying to keep older players as long as he’s not committing past the next year (Houston, Autry, Rivers, Hilton).  Then I’d draft:

1)      Kyle Trask, QB, Florida, 6’5, 240.  Last year I was not down with the timing or the prospects as far as 1st round QBs go.  Trask seems tailor-made to run the offense we already have in place for Rivers.  Great accuracy and good decision-making on the short- to medium-range throws, and he gets the ball out quick.  Most importantly, his story is the type that Ballard and Reich eat up.  He didn’t start in HS, still somehow got a scholarship offer at Florida, and then didn’t start until an injury to the starter in game 3 of his RS Junior year at Florida.  He patiently waited and worked, and when his number was called he played balls out.  An ultimate team player who obviously worked his butt off despite the possibility that he would never play for Florida.  Many kids woulda transferred to Duke or something to get on the field, but he bet on himself winning the Florida job.  Ballard and Reich are going to eat that crap up!

2)      Jackson Carman, OT, Clemson, 6’5, 345.  Massive dude who is a real road grader in the run game.  He’ll have to lose some weight to be a LT in the NFL IMO, but he could be an heir apparent for Castonzo.  Ballard has to get serious about OL depth this year, so this pick would serve two purposes.

3)      Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa St., 6’5, 252.  A good all-round TE who can contribute in all phases.  Trask gets his Doyle.

4)      Chris Rumph II, EDGE, Duke, 6’3, 225.  One of those guys who played all over the Duke D.  Too small to be a regular starter at DE, but he has legitimate pass-rush skills.  I would have loved to find the next great pass-rushing DE in the draft, but I’m not crazy about the prospects this year.  Someone like Rumph in the hands of a creative DC like Eberflus could be really useful in those manufactured pseudo-blitzes that we like to do. 

5)      Alaric Jackson, OL, Iowa, 6’5, 320.  They are saying that he may be better suited inside, but he has the length and a lot of experience at OT.  Could be one of those 4-position back-ups.  I’m also kind of fond of that Carter O’Donnell kid from Alberta that we’ve been stashing on our PS, but Carman and Jackson give us much better depth all along the OL.

6)      La’Andre Thomas, S, Memphis, 6’2, 185.  Didn’t play this year, but had a healthy 63 tackles the previous year.  Maybe a little light, but he seems to have the tackling ability we favor.

7)      Sam Webb, CB, Missouri Western St., 6’1, 188.  It’s a crap shoot this late in the draft.  But we’re in need of more boundary CBs, even with the addition of Jackson III and the return of Tell.  I like what I’ve read about this guy’s play at a low level of competition and he has the length Ballard likes at boundary CB.     

Sorry not sorry I'm not sold on Trask as many on this board, and it has nothing to do with his 3 INT game against Oklahoma the other day. He was without his key players. I just don't view him as a franchise QB. 

On 1/1/2021 at 10:14 PM, DownHillRunner said:

Sorry not sorry I'm not sold on Trask as many on this board, and it has nothing to do with his 3 INT game against Oklahoma the other day. He was without his key players. I just don't view him as a franchise QB. 

I agree.  Depends on your definition of “franchise QB”, I guess.  If you only consider the top 5 to 8 guys in the league to be franchise QBs, then Trask isn’t gonna be one.    But, of course, drafting at #19 or 20 IF we lose on Saturday, we’re probably not going to find a franchise QB.  The question is whether he will become an average or above average starter for 2022.  That would justify his selection IMO...

4 hours ago, Archer said:

I agree.  Depends on your definition of “franchise QB”, I guess.  If you only consider the top 5 to 8 guys in the league to be franchise QBs, then Trask isn’t gonna be one.    But, of course, drafting at #19 or 20 IF we lose on Saturday, we’re probably not going to find a franchise QB.  The question is whether he will become an average or above average starter for 2022.  That would justify his selection IMO...

I don't believe you should ever draft a QB in the first round if you don't believe they can be or develop into a top 5-8 guy. Why wouldn't you just sign a solid veteran for a year that is top 15-20 and wait at that point??

I do agree tho. I think Lawrence & Fields will be top 10. Wilson has a good chance. Trey Lance could be, but I don't know enough about him at this point.

9 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't believe you should ever draft a QB in the first round if you don't believe they can be or develop into a top 5-8 guy. Why wouldn't you just sign a solid veteran for a year that is top 15-20 and wait at that point??

I do agree tho. I think Lawrence & Fields will be top 10. Wilson has a good chance. Trey Lance could be, but I don't know enough about him at this point.

Yeah, that’s a way to go, but I don’t know that it’s easy to get that veteran.  Chicago thought they got one in Foles - nope.  Carolina and Bridgewater - well, mixed results, I guess.  FWIW, I just projected R1, and all 6 R1 QBs went before our pick...

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Yeah, that’s a way to go, but I don’t know that it’s easy to get that veteran.  Chicago thought they got one in Foles - nope.  Carolina and Bridgewater - well, mixed results, I guess.  FWIW, I just projected R1, and all 6 R1 QBs went before our pick...

I would be SHOCKED if 6 QB's go in round 1. Because that likely means Trask is a first round pick. 

I just don't see it with him. But, I've been wrong before! 

4 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I would be SHOCKED if 6 QB's go in round 1. Because that likely means Trask is a first round pick. 

I just don't see it with him. But, I've been wrong before! 

Lol.  I think Trask’ll go Round 1, but I’m not so sure about Lance.  One year of production at NDSU is not the best preparation for the NFL...

Archived