Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mailbag: Airing It Out Against The Browns, How To Improve The Run Game & Red Zone Efficiency, Buyers At The Trade Deadline?

AWalkerColts

You all continue to amaze me with your super insightful Colts questions on a weekly basis. Thanks again for your help with this week's Colts Mailbag, which you can find by clicking here.

I tried to do a little more deep diving into the issues with the run game through four games, and maybe some solutions in the red zone moving forward. Through four games, I think it's fair to start eyeing trends in all three phases, but with this small of a sample size, sometimes there's not much better of an answer than "the team needs to execute and call plays better."

I think when we are in the red zone, Hines should be used as a receiving back only. Taylor or Wilkins should get the carries inside the 10 anyway. Frank could come up with some plays where Hines is even lined up in the backfield but is used as a WR to not make it obvious what he is there for. Taylor to me has been fine but does need to work on his vision. He is a rookie so the problem is correctable through experience. 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think when we are in the red zone, Hines should be used as a receiving back only. Taylor or Wilkins should get the carries inside the 10 anyway. Frank could come up with some plays where Hines is even lined up in the backfield but is used as a WR to not make it obvious what he is there for. Taylor to me has been fine but does need to work on his vision. He is a rookie so the problem is correctable through experience. 

A respectful disagreement on the issue of how Hines is used.   You say receiver ONLY in the RZ.   Well, if you do that then you’ve made Hines one dimensional and made the Colts more predictable.  Opponents wouldn’t have to worry about Hines as a RZ running back if we stop using him that way.    

On highlite packages I’ve seen Hines have success between the tackles.  If he can do it from the 20 to the 20, then with better OL work, he should be successful in the RZ soon enough.   I view these first four games a little like our pre-season.   Hoping our level of play steps up this week vs Cleveland.   :thmup:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A respectful disagreement on the issue of how Hines is used.   You say receiver ONLY in the RZ.   Well, if you do that then you’ve made Hines one dimensional and made the Colts more predictable.  Opponents wouldn’t have to worry about Hines as a RZ running back if we stop using him that way.    

On highlite packages I’ve seen Hines have success between the tackles.  If he can do it from the 20 to the 20, then with better OL work, he should be successful in the RZ soon enough.   I view these first four games a little like our pre-season.   Hoping our level of play steps up this week vs Cleveland.   :thmup:

Yeah after I posted what I posted I thought about the predictable factor so you have a point. If anything I wouldn't even mind a reverse with Hines because of his speed, I just don't care for the up the middle stuff with him.

As any competent coach will tell you, it has very little to do with "Hines up the middle". The issue almost always has to do with sequence of play calls, formations and player execution. The one thing that has bugged me the most for about the last 35 of my 50 years watching all the oceans of analysis of this game has been the virtually complete lack of explanation of how sequence of play calls has led to the outcome of games. It's a whole science and art of it's own that is an extremely fascinating aspect of this game that people would learn so much from if it were only included as a consistent part of the regular analysis we see weekly on all these shows.

3 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

As any competent coach will tell you, it has very little to do with "Hines up the middle". The issue almost always has to do with sequence of play calls, formations and player execution. The one thing that has bugged me the most for about the last 35 of my 50 years watching all the oceans of analysis of this game has been the virtually complete lack of explanation of how sequence of play calls has led to the outcome of games. It's a whole science and art of it's own that is an extremely fascinating aspect of this game that people would learn so much from if it were only included as a consistent part of the regular analysis we see weekly on all these shows.

Of course but even when one thinks the defense doesn't expect it, Hines has been getting stuffed in the red zone running off tackle. I guess that is my point. I would rather have Taylor or Wilkins running in the red zone and I am a Hines fan. I think Hines is explosive.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, AWalkerColts said:

You all continue to amaze me with your super insightful Colts questions on a weekly basis. Thanks again for your help with this week's Colts Mailbag, which you can find by clicking here.

I tried to do a little more deep diving into the issues with the run game through four games, and maybe some solutions in the red zone moving forward. Through four games, I think it's fair to start eyeing trends in all three phases, but with this small of a sample size, sometimes there's not much better of an answer than "the team needs to execute and call plays better."

Thanks!!

Archived