Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's your 2020 53 man roster?

EastStreet

This is my current gut feeling and a few notes
-24 O, 26 D, 3 STs on the 53
-9 O, 6 D, and 1 STs on the PS 16
-PS rules changed to allow 4 players with unlimited experience/years. Didn't check everyone's years that I put on the PS, so wouldn't doubt it if I'm "over" the 4 limit.
-I think we'll try to keep Wilkins, as he may be in the plans for next year if Mack is gone
-If we keep 4 RBs, I think Nix is a casualty. Given his low salary the last few years and low demand at this juncture, might be able to stash him on the PS.
-Given TY's injury history combined with Campbell's, I think we start with 6 this year on the 53.
-With the ability to move PS to 53 (and back) eased this year, I think we carry one less OL on the 53, and a few more on the PS.
-If Eason is playing as well, or better than Kelly, I'd be Ok with them simply moving on from Kelly. If not, hope they try to keep him on the PS. Regardless, I think Eason is on the 53.

()s = already counted

Offense - 24
QB - Rivers / Brissett / Eason
RB - Mack / Taylor / Wilkins
APB - Hines
FB - NA
WR X - Pittman / Pascal
WR Z - Hilton / Fountain
WR Slot - Campbell / Dulin
TE - Doyle / Burton / Alie-Cox
LT - Castonzo / Clark
LG - Nelson / Elderkamp
C - Kelly / Pinter
RG - Glowinski / (Pinter)
RT - Smith / (Clark)

Defense - 26
DE - Houston / Banogu
UT - Buckner / Autry / Lewis
NT - Stewart / Day-Inj
DE - Turay / (Autry) / Muhammad
WILL - Leonard / Speed
Mike - Walker / (Okereke)
SAM - Okereke / Franklin / Glasgow
CB1 - Ya-Sin / (Rhodes) / Smith
CB2 - Rhodes / (Moore) / Rodgers
NB - Moore / Carrie
FS - Hooker / Odum
SS - Willis / Wilson / Blackmon-Inj

Special Teams - 3
PK - McLaughlin
P/H - Sanchez
PR - (Hines) / (Dulin)
KR1 - (Hines)
KR2 - (Dulin) / (Rodgers or Smith)
LS - Rhodes

Practice Squad - 16
WR - Patmon
WR - Johnson
TE - Green
TE - Clark
QB - Kelly
FB - Nix
OL - Donnal
OL - Green
OL - Paterson
DT - Windsor
LB - Adams
DE - Green
S - Rutledge
CB - Porter
CB - Pitts
PK - Blankenship

QB - Rivers , Brissett ,Eason
RB - Mack , Taylor ,Wilkins,Hines,Nix
WR  - Pittman ,Hilton,Pascal,Campbell,Patmon,
TE - Doyle ,Burton ,Allie-Cox
T Castonzo , Smith,O Donnell,Clark
L - Nelson ,Glowinski ,Pintor
C - Kelly , Patterson

DE - Houston , Banogu, Autry, Turay ,Muhammad,Lewis
DT - Buckner,Stewart,Day,
LB - Leonard , Speed,Walker,Okereke,Glaskow,
CB - Ya-Sin , Rhodes, Smith,Moore,Rodgers,Carrie
S - Hooker ,Odom,Willis,Wilson,Blackmon

K - Blackenship
P - Sanchez
PR - Hines 

KR- Hines
 LS-Rhodes

RB-Anderson
WR - Dulin, C Williams,Harris
TE - Bunting,Green
QB - Kelly
OL-Eldercamp,Hitner
DT - Windsor,Cline
LB - Adams
DE - Green
S - Rutledge
CB - Porter,Reed

Think Dulin and Adams get pulled up, think Blankenship too good to expose to waivers as top Kicker coming out. Blackmon looks ready to go ahead of schedule so dont see him on i.r like I originally thought.

Offense - 26
QB - Rivers / Brissett / Eason
RB - Mack / Taylor / Hines/Wilkins
FB - Nix
WR - Hilton/Campbell/Pittman / Pascal/Patmon/Dulin
TE - Doyle / Burton / Alie-Cox
LT - Castonzo / Clark
LG - Nelson / O'Donnell
C - Kelly / Patterson
RG - Glowinski /Pinter
RT - Smith

Defense - 24
DE - Houston / Banogu/Turay/Muhammad
DT- Buckner/Stewart/Autry/Windsor/Day
LB - Leonard/Walker/Okereke/Speed/Adams
CB - Ya Sin/Rhodes/Moore II/Carrie/Rodgers
S - Hooker/Willis/Odum/Wilson/Blackmon

Special Teams - 3
PK - McLaughlin
P - Sanchez 
LS - Rhodes

PS (not complete, as I imagine we'll be bringing in guys from other teams) - Kelly, Glasgow, DeMichael Harris, Rutledge, Gerri Green, K. Cline, Eldrenkamp, B. Hitner, Farrod Green, Bunting

Toughest cuts - Reece Fountain, Rodrigo Blankenship, Z. Franklin

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@CurBeatElite

I really hope fine some bargains when we go shopping down the cut down day aisle. 

Since he's been here, Ballard and his crew definitely seem to be keeping their eye on everything.  Every year we've brought in key contributors as FAs be it after cut down day or mid-season.  I'm sure there will be more of that this year.

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

Since he's been here, Ballard and his crew definitely seem to be keeping their eye on everything.  Every year we've brought in key contributors as FAs be it after cut down day or mid-season.  I'm sure there will be more of that this year.

Yup, they have. It just gets harder as the roster improves. And probably is really difficult this year with the lack of film from preseason games of other teams (relevant to the younger players). Likely to be more chaos this year.

I think they'll be shopping for anyone that improves our roster, but I'd bet they'll have a close eye on TEs, OL, and DBs.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, they have. It just gets harder as the roster improves. And probably is really difficult this year with the lack of film from preseason games of other teams (relevant to the younger players). Likely to be more chaos this year.

I think they'll be shopping for anyone that improves our roster, but I'd bet they'll have a close eye on TEs, OL, and DBs.

I was thinking DE as well... especially until we see how Turay holds up (and how Banogu develops).  I like Autry at DE, but to me he's more of a pass rush threat on the inside than outside.  After Houston, it'd be nice to know we have someone who can bring pressure off the edge.

I really like Ballard's quote from a year ago when he said something along the lines of "You know you have a good team when you start seeing 10 or more guys who didn't make your final cut getting picked up and playing on Sundays for other teams."  I definitely think at least a couple of the WRs we have to cut will wind up elsewhere.  Won't be shocked if a QB we have to cut gets picked up (be it Eason, Kelly or both) as a backup elsewhere.  Likely at least 1 LBer we cut will play elsewhere and potentially a few others.  But yea, you're right, I think preseason is valuable to assess other teams' talent and decide who you want to go shopping for... unless, of course, you had tons of interest in certain players and they got drafted before you could get them.

5 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Looks reasonable to me. I think Campbell will be KR1 though. We have a very talented group of guys this year, so I think some of the PS guys will get poached.

I really really hope they keep Campbell (Mr. Glass) far away from returns. I want him to purely focus on WR for at least a year. If he can stay healthy for a year and proves last year was a fluke, then I'm fine with letting him return. He definitely has the talent, but I just don't want to risk him. Ideally, you don't want your starters returning in general. And Dulin looked pretty incredible in his touches as returner.

I absolutely think some of our PS guys get poached this year. Unfortunately it happens once the roster improves. Good problem.

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

QB - Rivers , Brissett ,Eason
RB - Mack , Taylor ,Wilkins,Hines,Nix
WR  - Pittman ,Hilton,Pascal,Campbell,Patmon,
TE - Doyle ,Burton ,Allie-Cox
T Castonzo , Smith,O Donnell,Clark
L - Nelson ,Glowinski ,Pintor
C - Kelly , Patterson

DE - Houston , Banogu, Autry, Turay ,Muhammad,Lewis
DT - Buckner,Stewart,Day,
LB - Leonard , Speed,Walker,Okereke,Glaskow,
CB - Ya-Sin , Rhodes, Smith,Moore,Rodgers,Carrie
S - Hooker ,Odom,Willis,Wilson,Blackmon

K - Blackenship
P - Sanchez
PR - Hines 

KR- Hines
 LS-Rhodes

RB-Anderson
WR - Dulin, C Williams,Harris
TE - Bunting,Green
QB - Kelly
OL-Eldercamp,Hitner
DT - Windsor,Cline
LB - Adams
DE - Green
S - Rutledge
CB - Porter,Reed

Think Dulin and Adams get pulled up, think Blankenship too good to expose to waivers as top Kicker coming out. Blackmon looks ready to go ahead of schedule so dont see him on i.r like I originally thought.

Given their STs contributions (both played 70+% of ST snaps last year), I don't think they'll drop both Adams and Franklin from the 53. I do agree one has to go between Adams, Franklin, and Glasgow.

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I was thinking DE as well... especially until we see how Turay holds up (and how Banogu develops).  I like Autry at DE, but to me he's more of a pass rush threat on the inside than outside.  After Houston, it'd be nice to know we have someone who can bring pressure off the edge.

I agree to an extent, but I also think we'd be hard pressed to find upgrades at DE on cut down day, and don't think we're going carry any more on the active 53 then what I've listed. I'm not sold on Banogu, but I doubt they are ready to give up on him at this point (I could be wrong though). I also see Autry getting a lot of flex time, which IMO is the best thing for the team. I'd love to see Turay though emerge as 3 down guy. Anyway, I think we see a lot of rotation along the DL. Even more is Lewis is truly taking it up a notch. He's a flex guy like Autry IMO. AQM is getting some good press as well, which would be nice if he's developing. Glad we picked up Day as I think keeping our NTs fresh will go a long way. Day needs to get healthy though.

I see the packages looking like this.

Run - Houston/Buckner/Stewart OR Day/Autry

Pass - Houston/Autry/Buckner/Turay

That passing front 4 could be really nice.

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I really like Ballard's quote from a year ago when he said something along the lines of "You know you have a good team when you start seeing 10 or more guys who didn't make your final cut getting picked up and playing on Sundays for other teams."  I definitely think at least a couple of the WRs we have to cut will wind up elsewhere.  Won't be shocked if a QB we have to cut gets picked up (be it Eason, Kelly or both) as a backup elsewhere.  Likely at least 1 LBer we cut will play elsewhere and potentially a few others.  But yea, you're right, I think preseason is valuable to assess other teams' talent and decide who you want to go shopping for... unless, of course, you had tons of interest in certain players and they got drafted before you could get them.

Hoping the lack of tape helps protect some of our young guys on the PS. What I fear most is that injury bugs often hit teams at camps, and they simply have to roll the dice on players. For instance, if Patmon goes to PS, any team that has an injury to their big X will take a long look at him. I think whatever K we don't keep on our 53 will get picked up too.

And with all the good press Ballard has received about drafting and roster building, you know teams will be giving us a hard look. I wouldn't be shocked to see some last minute trades with fringe guys too.

Archived