Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR write up: Justin Jefferson

Let's roll onto LSU product Justin Jefferson who shows to be 6'3 195. College stats read as 

2019 111 receptions for 1,540 yards and 18 TD's with an average of 13.9 yards per reception

2018 54 receptions for 875 yards and 6 TD's with an average of 16.2 yards per reception

Games watched where vs Florida in 2018, vs Auburn, vs Georgia and unfortunately that is all of he film I'm limited to.

Strengths

I absolutely love how this guys catches a ball, he just snags it straight out of the air and reminds me a ton of what J.J Arcega-Whiteside did in college. He doesn't show his hands until the very last second not tipping off the DB to put his hands up. Sudden and explosive feet. When he digs his foot down he can take off. Has above average long speed but is no burner. A very high effort player who gives his all every play and is very gifted athletically. He breaks away from DB's by being shifty and making explosive cuts. He pays attention to his QB and when the QB gets pushed out of the pocket he gets open and makes big plays.

Weaknesses 

The thing that keeps him from being talked about in the same breath as the other top wideouts in this class is the fact he played nearly exclusively in the slot. The only film I was able to see him playing outside and against any press man coverage was against Florida in 2018 where he struggled some. He does not utilize his frame in jump ball situations and being as light as he is I wouldn't expect that to change in the pros. When he got tied up with a DB he couldn't break free. Looking at the stats and size I figured he would be a physical WR but he is a much more vertical WR. He is not one that is going to go up and catch a 50/50 ball. He also does have some issues of tracking a deep ball.

Overall

I am very on the fence on him as a prospect. I love his speed, his feet, his motor and the way he catches. I don't love his lack of contested catch ability and I don't love how he can be jammed up. I think he can be successful in the NFL as long as he goes somewhere that will not try and change him from what he is and that's as a slot WR. He will beat your typical slot DB all day long but how well will he fair against a outside CB its hard to tell. I dont think his success is solely based on having the best QB in CFB, I think he would still be a 800+ yard receiver with a sub par QB and would be someone very likely forced the ball to because of how well he catches. I don't love him at 34, but maybe with our second 2nd round pick I would be more open to him although I'm not sure he will be my preferred WR on the board. Ill put a pin in him though because its incredibly easy to fall in love with the way he snaggs the ball out of the air and that's one thing we could use for sure.

• Like 4

Good write up. 

Im not enamoured with him either. Nearly all of his good tape comes when he is in the slot against off coverage when the defender is standing like 10 yards back. I dont know can he play physical and have the release and quickness to consistently win in the NFL on the boundary.

I think he will be a solid slot reciever but we already have Hilton and Campbell who play there. We need someone who can win on the outside.

• Like 1

Jefferson could be like Landry with the Browns, flourishing from the slot, comes back to the QB, but Landry is a tad more physical, not if it’s something you develop over time. Hey, if Zach Pascal can block the lights out with limited playing time prior to this year, I’m sure Jefferson can be coached up to be more physical too. He might end up in late Round 2 territory.

Gandy Golden, Tyler Johnson, Collin Johnson, outside candidates whose write ups I’m looking forward to as well. 

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hey, if Zach Pascal can block the lights out with limited playing time prior to this year, I’m sure Jefferson can be coached up to be more physical too.

As someone that watched Pascal's college career up close, he's always been pretty physical, although against lesser competition. Still had the mentality and willingness to play physically though.