Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre Combine Mini Mock

2020 Combine is next month!  And I'm sure there will be a lot of us micro-evaluating every QB, WR, and DL available.

But until that wonderful week, here is my pre-combine mini mock!  I'm using the DraftTek rankings that were just updated Dec 31 for assistance.

Pick 13 - Jevon Kinlaw, DL3T, South Carolina, 6-6, 302, Senior

I don't believe CeeDee Lamb will be available by the time we pick.  And I'm not completely sold on Tee Higgins.  In his highlight reel, he's not getting a lot of separation, having to rely on positioning, hands, and jump catches.  Kinlaw is the 2nd best 3-technique DL in the draft.  He has huge athletic ability, and provide the interior pass rush the Colts desperately need.  Not much of a thinking, diagnosing kind of guy.  Give him an assignment, and let him loose.

Pick 34 - Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama, 6-0, 183, Junior

Ruggs has legit 4.2 speed, and can put instant pressure on a defense.  Some evaluators question his route tree ability beyond pure speed, but others believe he's put together the whole package, or at least enough of it, that he warrants being picked at this spot.  The bottom line is, TY Hilton is on a downward trend regarding playing through injuries, and we need to find a guy who will be fully his replacement two years down the road.

Pick 44 - Jacob Eason, QB, Washington, 6-6, 228, Junior

Eason definitely looks the part of an NFL passer.  But does he have the chops for it?  The Georgia transfer completed 64% of his passes for the Huskies, with a 23-8 TD to INT ratio.  He's a quiet leader, so don't expect the rah-rah pregame hyping of the team that Drew Brees is famous for.  I doubt Eason is ready to start right away, but we definitely need more options at QB than JB and Swag.

Pick 75 - Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon, 6-5, 318, Senior

I've had my eye on Throckmorton for a long time.  His draft stock has been dropping some, which allows us to take him in the 3rd round.  I sure hope that Costanzo doesn't retire.  But even if he didn't, it was high time to draft the position anyway.

Pick 112 - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU, 6-2, 185, Junior

Some sites have Jefferson rated all the way up in the bottom of the first round.  But DraftTek has him here.  He doesn't have the overwhelming ability that the top WR's in the draft do, but he's played against the best of the best in the SEC, and knows what he's doing.  We need to address the position with more than just one guy.

Pick 142 - Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue, 6-5, 245, RS Senior

I would like to to re-sign Ebron.  I think I'm one of the few posters on these boards that does.  But whether we sign him or not, the position ought to be addressed.  Let's take the local guy, shall we?

I didn't do the picks at 173, 188, and 204 because, well, who knows how those will work out?  And I'd rather get deeper study on the whole draft field to find favorite guys that will fall this far.

What do you think of my choices?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

2020 Combine is next month!  And I'm sure there will be a lot of us micro-evaluating every QB, WR, and DL available.

But until that wonderful week, here is my pre-combine mini mock!  I'm using the DraftTek rankings that were just updated Dec 31 for assistance.

I don't believe CeeDee Lamb will be available by the time we pick.  And I'm not completely sold on Tee Higgins.  In his highlight reel, he's not getting a lot of separation, having to rely on positioning, hands, and jump catches.  Kinlaw is the 2nd best 3-technique DL in the draft.  He has huge athletic ability, and provide the interior pass rush the Colts desperately need.  Not much of a thinking, diagnosing kind of guy.  Give him an assignment, and let him loose.

Ruggs has legit 4.2 speed, and can put instant pressure on a defense.  Some evaluators question his route tree ability beyond pure speed, but others believe he's put together the whole package, or at least enough of it, that he warrants being picked at this spot.  The bottom line is, TY Hilton is on a downward trend regarding playing through injuries, and we need to find a guy who will be fully his replacement two years down the road.

Eason definitely looks the part of an NFL passer.  But does he have the chops for it?  The Georgia transfer completed 64% of his passes for the Huskies, with a 23-8 TD to INT ratio.  He's a quiet leader, so don't expect the rah-rah pregame hyping of the team that Drew Brees is famous for.  I doubt Eason is ready to start right away, but we definitely need more options at QB than JB and Swag.

I've had my eye on Throckmorton for a long time.  His draft stock has been dropping some, which allows us to take him in the 3rd round.  I sure hope that Costanzo doesn't retire.  But even if he didn't, it was high time to draft the position anyway.

Some sites have Jefferson rated all the way up in the bottom of the first round.  But DraftTek has him here.  He doesn't have the overwhelming ability that the top WR's in the draft do, but he's played against the best of the best in the SEC, and knows what he's doing.  We need to address the position with more than just one guy.

I would like to to re-sign Ebron.  I think I'm one of the few posters on these boards that does.  But whether we sign him or not, the position ought to be addressed.  Let's take the local guy, shall we?

I didn't do the picks at 173, 188, and 204 because, well, who knows how those will work out?  And I'd rather get deeper study on the whole draft field to find favorite guys that will fall this far.

Odds are that Ruggs and Jefferson go in the first round.   So I don’t see them lasting as long.   Especially Jefferson.

Also I suspect Hopkins goes higher.   Possible Day 2, but hard to see him lasting beyond R4.   

Love the choices, but I doubt we can get them all. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Odds are that Ruggs and Jefferson go in the first round.   So I don’t see them lasting as long.   Especially Jefferson.

Also I suspect Hopkins goes higher.   Possible Day 2, but hard to see him lasting beyond R4.   

Love the choices, but I doubt we can get them all. 

Thanks for the positive response.  It's hard to do a mock this early.  Especially when you look up internet references for prospect rankings and they're all over the place.  One site gives player so-and-so a #28 ranking, and the other site gives them #112, buried in the 3rd round.

I expect that you, just like me, will be watching the combine with great interest.  It'll be the first time in 8 years that we scrutinized QB's this heavily!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Thanks for the positive response.  It's hard to do a mock this early.  Especially when you look up internet references for prospect rankings and they're all over the place.  One site gives player so-and-so a #28 ranking, and the other site gives them #112, buried in the 3rd round.

I expect that you, just like me, will be watching the combine with great interest.  It'll be the first time in 8 years that we scrutinized QB's this heavily!

Yes.....  it’s very hard now.   Very.

Thats why if I do a mock,  I try to do it in April. 

For what it’s worth...   both Mel and Todd agree on both WR’s.  First round kids.   When they agree this early, I take note.  

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 9:30 AM, John Hammonds said:

I’ll do cartwheels if Jefferson falls that far and if Ruggs falls to the second round. This is one of the best mock’s I’ve seen so far. Not only did you get two solid playmakers on offense you have a solid TE, DT, OT, and a QB who can compete with Brissett in camp. 

• Like 1