Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking our playmakers off the fields..

bsteves

17 hours ago, bsteves said:

Is anyone else annoyed that the coaching staff has practice squad players like Mo Allie Cox and Chester Rodgers in the game?

I know everyone has been riding the Mo train the past couple weeks but the dude has like two catches prior to this game. He is a practice squad player and if you ask me the first grab he had on the TD was not a catch. You don't take Eric Ebron who has been torching the opposing defense out for Mo Allie Cox. Seriously, Ebron was MIA for most of the 2nd half.

Then you have Chester Rodgers in the game when we just signed Inman and Grant is back healthy. Not that he messed up this game but seriously who is confident when he is in the game? The dude has so many critical drops this year.

This game was so important to our season. I just want our sure fire guys out on the field when it matters most.

I started reading this thread from page 3 backwards.  Was anxious to get to the OP just to see if the whining you were being accused of is real or not.  My assessment is you need some cheese.  

I don't find it odd at all that they have guys like Rogers or Allie-Cox in the game.  It is clear they had personnel packages in mind for specific plays or down and distance.  They are clearly also trying to keep the defense guessing with the constant personnel packages.

And I think the separation from Rogers to Inman or Grant is not this wide gap you think it is.  Rogers drops were from games in Sept and October.  He has been pretty reliable in this win streak.

I think Ebron was MIA in the 2nd half due to the big drops that Allie-Cox and Hines had.  Those were drive killers and would have allowed the offense to stay on the field longer, hence more play chances for him.   Ebron did sit along time in the 2nd half of the Bengals game too.  Not sure why - but I assume Reich is doing it for a reason and knows better than I.

• Like 1

You can't develop young players if you don't let them play. With all the injuries the Colts have suffered from, developing depth is a very high priority, across the board. 

I do think it's problematic that our best receiving option yesterday on played 21 total snaps, though. Reich got conservative in the second half, after starting the game by throwing the ball a lot, then balancing more in the second quarter, I felt like he failed to establish a rhythm in the second half (the turnover didn't help), and every run play felt like a stubborn attempt to move an immovable object. Of course, there were only five run plays in the second half, so it's not like he went overboard... Still, five carries, zero yards. One for four on third down, including a run play on third and 1.

To me, Ebron's low snap count is partly a symptom of Reich not being able to get into a play calling rhythm and the offense being unable to stay on the field. 

Ebron is losing snaps to Alie Cox(and Doyle) because of run blocking. Alie Cox has been surprisingly exceptional in run blocking and is willing run blocker unlike Ebron. This is the real reason Reich doesn't put Ebron on the field more. He practically puts him on the field on situations when we are throwing and avoids like the plague having him on the field in situations when running the ball is an option. Sooner or later opponents will start keying in on those tendencies. They are not really that hard to notice.  Ebron is really a big WR for us not a TE...

Notice - I'm not excusing Reich's choices. I'm explaining them. 

IMO he needs to start exploring more ways to put him on the field and Ebron needs to show better willingness to block in the run game and get his hands dirty. Right now he's having good production on limited snaps but I'm not sure this sustainable in the long run, especially when opponents gets the sniff on what we are doing and what situations Ebron is on the field for.