Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes Better As Stand Up Olb? (Video Inside)

Fr33UpFr33ney

I was doing these post in the Draft Sections, so I looked up Jerry Hughes to compare him to Today's draft prospects, and I noticed something Interesting.

Look at him as a DE and the Difference when he is Standing up. When he is in 3 point stance (Terrible Stance BTW) he embarrases me that we took him in the First. But when he stands up, or splits outside...he looks like a completely different player. To be noted during out 3-4 transition.

I hope he's better because im still amazed Polian pulled the trigger on this guy. There was nothing in those video's IMO that was even remotely impressive. I hated this pick from the second they made it and seen it as a total waste and so far it has been. Hopefully he can show us something as an OLB.

I was thinking Hughes was going to emerge as a beast and we would have had a third DE that was hard to handle for opposing offenses. He has yet to prove anything other than he can come in so others can get a breather or that he can play on special teams. I am not sure if it is lack of talent (it didn't seem that way when coming out of college), his work ethic or if it is just that the coaches haven't pushed him enough. With Freeney at the end of a contract this is the year he either steps up or most likely will be replaced.

I saw what you saw. He has a great burst of the line when standing up, but when he is playing like our DE's usually..well did.. he sucked

He looks like he plays at OLB like a Demarcus Ware (obviously not even close as good) but that is where his potential lies at least

He does look pretty funny in that 3 point stance...coming out of college, almost everything I read said he would be a good 3-4 OLB. I didn't read much that said he would be a good 4-3 DE, so I was a little surprised that we took him. But he did win the award for the nation's best DE, so I thought the potential was there