Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DE responsibilities in our 4-3 Defense

Btown_Colt

This is may be a dumb question, but what is the responsibilities for our DE’s in this defense? Is it to play run or pass first? And do both DE’s have the same responsibilities or is the strong side supposed to set the edge and weak side rush? Will Sheard and Hunt switch sides depending on where the TE is or is one always the right DE and one the left DE? 

Also, if the tackle/TE they are lined up over down blocks, are they suppose to close down the line or still keep the edge/ contain?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

This is may be a dumb question, but what is the responsibilities for our DE’s in this defense? Is it to set the edge or rush the QB, or both? And do both DE’s have the same responsibilities or is the strong side supposed to set the edge and weak side rush? Will Sheard and Hunt switch sides depending on where the TE is or is one always the right DE and one the left DE? 

Also, if the tackle they are lined up over down blocks, are they suppose to close down the line or still keep contain?

Thanks

To Kill!!!

:hulk:

• Like 1

Single gap defense where each defender is responsible for his gap (contingent upon personnel, etc.).  A lot of the run-stopping responsibilities ultimately fall upon the WLB, a critical position in this defense.

The ends are definitely pass rushers, but when it comes to the running game, they're going to play assignment football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Single gap defense where each defender is responsible for his gap (contingent upon personnel, etc.).  A lot of the run-stopping responsibilities ultimately fall upon the WLB, a critical position in this defense.

The ends are definitely pass rushers, but when it comes to the running game, they're going to play assignment football.

Thanks. Do you know if they are supposed to close down the line on down blocks or are they always responsible for the edge? Or is it just dependent on what play is called?

I’ve been trying to pay special attention to our Ends and I was just asking so  that I could put it together with what I was seeing on the field. Honestly, I’ve been watching Hunt a lot and I haven’t  been impressed, but maybe it’s my lack of understanding of what he is supposed to be doing.

16 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

This is may be a dumb question, but what is the responsibilities for our DE’s in this defense? Is it to play run or pass first? And do both DE’s have the same responsibilities or is the strong side supposed to set the edge and weak side rush? Will Sheard and Hunt switch sides depending on where the TE is or is one always the right DE and one the left DE? 

Also, if the tackle/TE they are lined up over down blocks, are they suppose to close down the line or still keep the edge/ contain?

Thanks

To get after the QB 

i think all 4 limemen have both pass rushing and run responsibilities. It's a 1 gap defense, so they know pre snap which gap they're responsible for. So they don't need to think, only attack that gap, and if it's a run, stop the run, if it's pass, try to get to the QB. So, DT, UT, DE at whatever tech, they all responsible for both.

I think this is why players and coaches described this defense "simple", because it's not a read and react (well, at least for the dline), but rather, a "just go for it". I hope it's not too simple, though. :) (That opponents can easily/"simply" game plan for it.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’m concerned about our edges and who is supposed to have contain? It just seems like we are having issues containing outside runs and bootlegs.

You are correct. Look no further than the edge support from Skai Moore and Najee Goode. Moore is a rookie, so I can cut him some slack, but Goode is a 7th year player, that's not getting it done. They need to get Morrison in there at Sam now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I understand the one gap responsibilities and all that. I’m concerned about our edges and who is supposed to have contain? It just seems like we are having issues containing outside runs and bootlegs.

The last man on the line and/or LB are supposed to have contain    

This is one reason an Option O key off the DE or OLB

40 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The last man on the line and/or LB are supposed to have contain    

This is one reason an Option O key off the DE or OLB

Understood. 

That’s what I am asking though, is it the DE’s responsibility or LB’s? I know it’s one or the other! It just seems like I notice Hunt chasing down the QB a lot and the RB going right past him. Or biting on play action and the QB rolling out behind him. Hunt seems to get upfield, but sometimes it seems it’s too far and the run goes beside him. I’m just trying to figure out if he is playing it right and a LB is supposed to be filling in or if Hunt is the weak link?

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Understood. 

That’s what I am asking though, is it the DE’s responsibility or LB’s? I know it’s one or the other! It just seems like I notice Hunt chasing down the QB a lot and the RB going right past him. Or biting on play action and the QB rolling out behind him. Hunt seems to get upfield, but sometimes it seems it’s too far and the run goes beside him. I’m just trying to figure out if he is playing it right and a LB is supposed to be filling in or if Hunt is the weak link?

It depends on the call

If he has an inside stunt the LB or even S would be responsible for contain

so without having the playsheets and game film it is hard to tell 

• Thanks 1