Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Achilles Heel

coltsfeva

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I forgot the #2 movie...close to "The Quiet Man" --- "In Harm's Way."  Very powerful film about a nation and family at war.

Yup...   another great one...,

and “they were expendable”...   another great WW2 film!   

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On July 6, 2018 at 11:07 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed...   The Quiet Man and his last movie,  The Shootest,  are easily my favorite John Wayne films!

Ron Howard, AKA Opie, was quite good in that film as well NCF. Heck, I even remember him in the musical "The Music Man" too singing enthusiastically about the Wells Fargo wagon man. :D

• Like 1

On July 6, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Pilgrim said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, work has been busy. lol. I'm partial to "The Green Berets" (I'm on the younger side, and that was the first John Wayne movie I watched with my grandpa. After that, "True Grit" or "The Alamo"

No worries @Pilgrim we all get busy & sidetracked these days. I think it's cool you associate your grandpa with John Wayne movies BTW. The Duke & your grandpa are a good combination IMO. Movies & family connections are always fascinating to read about to me. Nice. 

I saw a lot of Wayne westerns with my dad growing up too as well as the early Eastwood spaghetti westerns filmed in Spain. Every time I hear chimes, I flash right back to " For A Few Feathers More." 

I love that line when Eastwood sits down, points his shotgun at the villain who killed his partner's daughter, hands his gun belt over, & says "now we start." The polite way of saying your days are numbered buster & we're gonna settle this dispute right here; right now once & for all. 

Getting back to John Wayne, I was always fond of Robert Mitchum who never got enough props to me as an actor. I thought him & Wayne joining up in "El Dorado" was fantastic. I liked Robert as a drunken sheriff who dries out & redeems himself with John's tough love help. 

• Like 1

On July 7, 2018 at 6:56 AM, Pacergeek said:

I enjoy Red River. John Wayne was the villain. When given the opportunity, The Duke could actually act

I know that film quite well. In one of my graduate school classes on the American Southwest, we broke down the themes of that picture & race relations as well as the fight over natural resources 

Red River is a very good film for exploring bias & prejudice as well depending on whether you were a rancher, native American Indian, or just water rights in general. Our class spend a couple of class periods breaking down this film's lasting themes. 

Even "Stagecoach" released in 1939 has value in exploring extreme biases among the white man vs the 'barbaric or heathen Indian' as well. You can also explore macho sexism in that flick too. 

Anytime I hear the phrase, "a lady of ill repute", I always laugh because who is the deviant or criminal here? The woman who sells her body for money or the cowboys, businessmen, & thugs who gallop into town frequently for entertainment purposes? Plus, prior to the railroad, uneducated women couldn't travel far from home & they didn't have a lot of options either. Remember, they didn't earn suffrage or the right to vote until 1920. 

• Like 1

On July 7, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

I forgot the #2 movie...close to "The Quiet Man" --- "In Harm's Way."  Very powerful film about a nation and family at war.

Thanks for the recommendation DM. I don't think I've seen that one. Jotting that one down now. Appreciate the heads up. :hat:

Off topic: Kudos to whomever changed the font/text on the forum. Much easier to read now. Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 6:11 PM, southwest1 said:

No worries @Pilgrim we all get busy & sidetracked these days. I think it's cool you associate your grandpa with John Wayne movies BTW. The Duke & your grandpa are a good combination IMO. Movies & family connections are always fascinating to read about to me. Nice. 

I saw a lot of Wayne westerns with my dad growing up too as well as the early Eastwood spaghetti westerns filmed in Spain. Every time I hear chimes, I flash right back to " For A Few Feathers More." 

I love that line when Eastwood sits down, points his shotgun at the villain who killed his partner's daughter, hands his gun belt over, & says "now we start." The polite way of saying your days are numbered buster & we're gonna settle this dispute right here; right now once & for all. 

Getting back to John Wayne, I was always fond of Robert Mitchum who never got enough props to me as an actor. I thought him & Wayne joining up in "El Dorado" was fantastic. I liked Robert as a drunken sheriff who dries out & redeems himself with John's tough love help. 

Mitchum was a beast. After watching the original Cape Fear, I thought Mitchum made DeNiro's performance in the remake look like amateur hour. Night of the Hunter was also terrific. I would also agree that El Dorado was very good

While we are talking about Westerns, I agree with Rick Venturi's take on Frank Reich. He has some John Wayne or Gary Cooper in him. Just has a certain "tough guy" look to him, where if he tells you to do something, you do it without objecting.

Let's say that you accidentally parked your car in a way that inconveniences Frank. He tells you politely to move your car, you will move it. Period. Pagano tells you to move your car, you consider not moving it.  

Getting back to the topic of this thread,  Remember all the so called experts are basing their opinions on the past.  They don't project what might happen in the future of a bad team. they assume  that like most posts that until we prove them wrong this is our future. So don't despair, we will make them change their minds about our future after this season. As you all know the NFL is all about what have you done lately.  If they don't see us as a team that bottomed out and now are on the rise, They will. Turn around has always been fair play

On 7/7/2018 at 3:03 PM, indyagent17 said:

Pundits to do what pundits do. They rarely talk about the positives there's more interest in the negatives. It's fun to watch these shows but you realize quite quickly that none of these guys are general managers or coaches. They don't attend OTAs or training camps or have day-to-day contact with the players. Yes there are issues with this team but there's also great hope as well.

The subject was "achilles heels", so they were talking about possible problems. And honestly, the Colts have many. I am with you, I haven't been so excited about this team for years, I agree there's great hope there. But hope and being proven are different things. I like our backfield, I like our WR corp, I like our oline, because I see a ton of potential there, but it's only potential at the moment. These guys need to go out and prove themselves. Once they'll do it, the media will recognize them.

Until that, it's fine being under the radar. That's where this team belongs to at the moment. There's not much to recognize regarding this team, except the return of Luck. Which is huge of course, so those 2-14, 4-12 predictions are laughable ofc, but still, this team is unproven. This is a great opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong.

I actually prefer being so much under the radar over 2015, when the Colts were considered a strong SB candidate. I hate such a hype (unless the team has indeed a proven, SB winning staff and an all-pro-everywhere kinda roster).