Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Analytics view on the Colts draft class

stitches

So I stumbled on this video going over the Colts draft picks from the 2018 NFL draft and comparing their athletic and production scores to different pro-bowl, all-pro, starter level treshholds and averages. You can take a look here:

It seems like Ballard was looking at great athletes and didn't knock them a lot for not having elite production. He probably believes their coaching staff can coach them up. 

• Like 5

I like it, seems to line up with the RAS ratings.

Drafted a lot of physical specimens, most with the stats to back up thier prowess, a few that need a bit of coaching to bring it out!

I love analytics in baseball and if CB, Dodds and Hogan have somehow found a way to use similar analytics in the draft, we should perennially draft very well and AT LEAST produce league average or better players!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stitches said:

It seems like Ballard was looking at great athletes and didn't knock them a lot for not having elite production. He probably believes their coaching staff can coach them up. 

The approach will be interesting to follow, the T.J. Green draft (pure athlete, not much football player) does scare however. But I think that Ballard is smart enough to look at more metrics than just RAS numbers and hope the best. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

The approach will be interesting to follow, the T.J. Green draft (pure athlete, not much football player) does scare however. But I think that Ballard is smart enough to look at more metrics than just RAS numbers and hope the best. 

He also is not drafting guys based on only athletic traits.  T.J. Green played only one year at safety in college.  He was drafted with little experience.  Ballard grabbed guys with a good amount  of experience plus athleticism.

• Like 3

Interestingly he's doubled down on each position group in the draft..

2 mike/sam, 2 DE, 2 OL, 2 WRs, 2 RBs, and leornard to play will.

It's almost like if one doesn't pan out, we have a back up :)

22 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

It's scary because he was drafted so highly. If he were even a 3rd round project, it would feel better. I have no problem investing high draft picks in the trenches and guys you know are going to play for you (Leonard at Will linebacker, Turay at end) and finding high upside guys later on. I have a problem picking guys like Dorsett and Green so high and neglecting key positions because of it. 

The metrics are one piece to the story. The tape and the interviews (personality and fit) are a whole separate conversation. It all has to make sense. I'm not sure if the TJ Green draft made much sense, especially since they missed on Collins the previous draft. Seemed like a move to satisfy the coach after disappointing him the prior year. 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

He also is not drafting guys based on only athletic traits.  T.J. Green played only one year at safety in college.  He was drafted with little experience.  Ballard grabbed guys with a good amount  of experience plus athleticism.

Exactly. And just because Ballard has said that he liked Green as a corner doesn't mean that Ballard would have taken him in the 2nd round, or even drafted him at all.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Exactly. And just because Ballard has said that he liked Green as a corner doesn't mean that Ballard would have taken him in the 2nd round, or even drafted him at all.

He said that KC looked at him as a CB and were interested in him.  He never said anything on potential draft spot though so hard to tell with that.  Ballard also said that he pushed for Green to get CB playing time and said he could see the struggles for Green.  Now he sees him as a safety and safety only.  He is still young with very little experience.  The new D might help him, or he will just be a ST guy.