Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Relative Athletic Scores(RAS) for all of the Colts picks

stitches

1 hour ago, stitches said:

This roster still has horrible depth and even high end talent on defense though. The LB core is still horrendous. I have no idea how we are going to play games with the talent we have there and the depth at CB is worrisome. Any injury there spells serious troubles. The interior of the defense will be a big question mark too since apart from Woods, no one else has really ever gotten the amount of snaps they will get this year(Stewart, Ridgeway).

With our LBs we added some of the best coverage LBs and didn’t resign our run stopper Bostic from last year.

With our DL I think we are moving to a smaller but faster lineup for our DTs. We got rid of Hankins and Anderson because they did not fit the new mold, and we picked up Autry and Lewis who are both DEs with experience pass rushing from the interior. I think on passing downs these two will be our DTs with Sheard and Turay/Basham/Simon as the DEs.

now, I think we are weakest at CB, but we still improved in pass defense overall with our coverage LBs and our pass rushing DTs. However, I think we will struggle against the run since we let our best run stoppers go from last year and didn’t add much run stopping talent.

7 hours ago, stitches said:

There was a thread for draft grades. I gave pick by pick grades there.

I'm gonna start with a disclaimer - if you are going to trust someone's evaluation, definitely trust Ballard and his team's before you trust me or anybody on a message board. 

Day 1 was a no-brainer - we got one of the best players in the draft at a position of need. I didn't love day 2 of the draft and that's where the main capital of picks was spent. I had first round graded players available throughout the round, even at 64 and instead we got a 3d round graded guard and a 4th round DE. I like Darius Leonard more than most and he was my best available LB, so I don't mind the pick. Turay is a very interesting prospect with tons of potential to develop into a great passrusher. He hasn't played a ton of football(started playing as a senior in high school) and his development has been stunted by injuries but even with that he's not as raw technically as people might think. He flashes some very nice hand usage for example and has amazing bend around the edge. It will be more about working on consistency and finishing with added strength with him. i liked our 3d round picks(the ones I've watched) I think we got them at a good pricepoint in the draft. We added nice weapons for Luck and Reich and I expect Hines and both receivers to be in the rotation if they make the team... and if Luck is healthy I expect the offense to be much better than last year. Hell, scratch that... assuming relatively normal health for the roster, I expect the offense to be top 10 in the league. 

This roster still has horrible depth and even high end talent on defense though. The LB core is still horrendous. I have no idea how we are going to play games with the talent we have there and the depth at CB is worrisome. Any injury there spells serious troubles. The interior of the defense will be a big question mark too since apart from Woods, no one else has really ever gotten the amount of snaps they will get this year(Stewart, Ridgeway).

Disclaimer for your disclaimer: no worries I just value your opinion is all. I'm more than willing to give Ballard a benefit no of the doubt but I'll say this. I didn't agree with most.

Day one I was initially dissappointed/unimpressed but after the day was over I was extremely happy with the pick. In no way shape or form did I think so many guards were going in the first and over good corner and decent edge talent.  

Day 2 was just ugh.  I too liked the Leonard pick but the Smith pick was just meh to me.  Turay I was high on before the draft but not in the 2nd.  I can't get behind that pick I've watched enough of him to know I just wouldn't have taken him that high. I'm actually ok with the Lewis pick as a player.  But in terms of the roster I think he's a redundant pick with little to no value. 

Day 3 is the best one for me.  I like Franklin alot and I like Fountain.  Cain was another kid I watched that has tons of potential hard not to like.  I haven't watched Wilkins or Hines alot so I can't comment and I have nothing on Adams. 

All in all I'm torn on this draft.  Did we get better?  Yea I think we did especially on oline.  But I think we failed to capitalize on the actual best part of this draft which was limebackers and corners.  And I believe there was a much better combination of picks out there for us. For this season I think it will be a decent draft especially if it keeps Luck upright but in the bigger picture I think we wasted a year here in getting Luck a complete team.  Our lack of movement in free agency is probably the biggest inhibitor here.  But again it's a wait and see. 

22 hours ago, stitches said:

This is not even remotely true. He had one tough matchup against Chandler Jones in the Arizona game where he got beat several times badly but he was tremendous for the rest of the year. He had one of his best seasons for the Colts and played at close to pro-bowl level. He was ranked as the 10th best tackle in the league by PFF. This includes both left and right tackles.

Now AC is not a perfect tackle by any means and he's still better run blocker than pass-protector, but I have no idea where those narratives that he's been bad come from. They have nothing to do with reality. People just see our O-line being horrible and they project all its problems on the players they know - the best ones, instead of on the scrubs taken off the street that surround them and that make all the mistakes on the line. This is similar to how people say Hilton is trash because they don't actually watch what's happening on the odd 2 catches 25 yards game... they don't see how many times he gets open but the ball doesn't get there because either Brissett doesn't see him or the pocket collapses because of the bad O-line and the throw cannot be made, etc. 

The problem with this team are NOT the best players on the team. It's the scrubs that surround them. It's the linebackers that cannot track a RB or a TE to save their lives, it's the pass rushers that cannot create any pressure whatsoever, it's the Clarks and Vujnovic's of the world who get destroyed every single week.... Fix the bottom of the roster, the player that if they didn't play for us would be on the street first before you worry about the top 5 player on the roster. 

Good points. People need to realize there were a lot of backups playing last year. There are some pretty good players coming back.

18 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Almost every draft publication had him rated right after Smith, Edmonds and LVE.....that's a lot of folks with better trained eyes than ours that saw a lot of good in him!

Walterfootball had him as the number 4 linebacker. I like the pick